Memorial City Mall (History)

Radionagy

I'm glad this thread is still somewhat alive. Does anyone have any photos of the mall before the 2003 remodel? Besides the one posted earlier from the 70s, I haven't been able to find a single one! I remember in the early 2000s there used to be a water fountain display in one of the mall's rotundas. Does anyone remember where it was located? I want to say it's where Starbucks is now.

Edited by Rustin

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was actually looking for photos of the Ice Haus tornado in 1974 and got sidetracked by this thread.  I know there is an old thread on that, so I will go there to further inquire.

For now I thought I would kick in some memories of Memorial City.

Got to Houston in 1971 and we would spend a lot of time riding bikes on the trails on the east side of the mall, which I imagine is the horse riding area that was mentioned.   This was a pretty special place as it probably had the largest elevation changes in Houston that didn't involve a freeway overpass.   

On Sundays, when the mall would close, there would be car races in the parking lot.  Not kids and go-karts, but real racing with real cars.  I can't remember what they call this, but it seemed like it was some kind of car club or something.  They'd mark a course with orange traffic cones, run one car at a time.  Was pretty cool stuff for 13 yr old. .  

First time I saw Gone With the Wind was at that glorious movie theater, I'm guessing this was 1971.  Nothing like that movie on that big screen.

Somewhere in the area of the big theater was either a head shop or record store that sold concert tickets, and I recall getting there early and lining up for tickets to Jethro Tull; probably 1973, maybe 72.

Worked at Whataburger in the mall probably 1975.   Before that worked Jack in the Box on Kingsride.  Also worked off and on at the Ice Haus.

After I turned 16 I didn't spend much time there, other than to work at Whataburger.  One of my fond memories of that time was taking my grandmother, who lived in the apartments across... is that Barryknoll...,  to do a little shopping and then having lunch or dinner at what I guess was a precursor to Pappadeaux.  Can't recall the name, but it was a Pappas Bros. seafood restaurant on the east side of the mall.

Autocross!

On Sundays, when the mall would close, there would be car races in the parking lot.  Not kids and go-karts, but real racing with real cars.  I can't remember what they call this, but it seemed like it was some kind of car club or something.  They'd mark a course with orange traffic cones, run one car at a time.  Was pretty cool stuff for 13 yr old. .  

Autocross!

That's right. I used to run there in the early 70's.....even designed some of the courses. They were put on by the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America). It's still a big motorsports today (all around the country) and now put on by many different car clubs in addition to the SCCA.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going.  I haven't been on here in a long time.  I saw the Chronicle story about the Savoy being rehabbed and decided to come back here to catch up. Anyway, I was curious about pics too.  I found a few pics/ videos online and I thought I'd share the links.

http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/05/foley-brothers-dry-goods-co-houston.html

A TV commercial for MCM from 1993

Another TV commercial.  This one from 1989 with Fame City highlighted. 

• 1 year later...

In the early 70's the mall had an H&H music. I bought a guitar and Fender amp there that are now worth multiples of the price I paid for them. The mall also had record and tape stores, and odd little shops like the House of Fabrics and Spencer Gifts, Piccadilliy Cafeteria and an Orange Julius stand. Back then the mall attracted a nice crowd too. They ruined it in the 80's and now the only store worth going to is the Apple Store. Other than that, I avoid it. 

Visible Changes has been there as far back as I can remember, although it used to be in a different location, across the main concourse from the little shop that sold corn-dogs and lemonade. 

What was originally on the far west (Gessner) end of the mall (between Sears and Montgomery Wards)?

Yes the original Foley's store was demolished, as was the original Lord & Taylor/Mervyn's.  Lord & Taylor had two stints in the mall.  The first structure was filled by Mervyn's and then demolished.  The second one was filled by JC Penney when Penney relocated from Town & Country.'

At one time (circa 2000) it was announced that Neiman Marcus was moving from Town & Country to Memorial City and that Nordstrom was going to build what would have been its first Houston store at Memorial City.  I don't know what happened to those deals, but they obviously fell through.

Several months ago, after eating at Cheesecake Factory, I walked into the mall, through the entrance that spits you out right by outside Target (to the left if facing Target). That end of the mall really seems to have changed the least since the renovation. But I had peaked through an uncovered exterior window and noticed that the former Sun and Ski Sports (still vacant after all these years) has hardly changed at all. It still had the same tile floor I remembered from years ago. I'm sure the space has been subdivided over the years, but I'm surprised MetroNational hasn't found a new tenant for that space. It's one of very few non-anchor spots with exterior access. I always thought they would try to get something like H&M for that space.