Houston Mod Website

Willowisp

Hey all,

The Houston Mod website is getting a makeover. Don't know if you've checked it out lately, but please drop by.

The website has been made much more user friendly for us to update. We will be adding more buildings to the "moderns: still with us" and "mods no more" pages in the "Houston's Modern Legacy" section. If you would like to submit a building for inclusion, let me know. We can use all the help we can get documenting the work of architects past.

Also, if you'd like to join or renew your membership, please do! 2007 is going to be a great year for Houston Mod.

Jason Smith

Houston Mod Outreach Committee

http://www.houstonmod.org/

Looks great

I have a few pictures!! If you need anything photographed, I'll do it, so long as I get credit. Here's a few for the site:

Bill Caudill's house, from the latest shoot.

396788354_d04722d147_b.jpg

House on 7 Pine Forest Circle - Joseph Krakower (w/ Herb Greene)

396777425_0adfdeeb80_b.jpg

10920 Willowisp - 1955 - William R. Jenkins

396809426_3e282c4adf_b.jpg

Kelvin Design Studio - David D. Red

396813989_20cd7cd406_b.jpg

Thanks, that's awesome! I'll do what I can with these. The tough part for me is the text because I am not that educated on the buildings. I end up borrowing words from Stephen Fox and so on... But these are definitely worthy of inclusion. If you would like to do a write-up, you would definitely get credit for that as well as the pictures.

Jason

Thanks, that's awesome! I'll do what I can with these. The tough part for me is the text because I am not that educated on the buildings. I end up borrowing words from Stephen Fox and so on... But these are definitely worthy of inclusion. If you would like to do a write-up, you would definitely get credit for that as well as the pictures.

Jason

I'd like to find out more about the Krakower house. Robert Bowlby (Krakower's deliniator (sp?)) in about '56 has sent me a good deal of information about some of the projects he worked on, including one never built that was supposed to span the bayou. Jason, you probably know a heckuva lot more than I do about buildings.

By the way, we need the Goff house on the site, pics of the Herb Greene house in decent shape (maybe hard to find; try Gerald Moorhead), and more Barnstone. I've got several fantastic shots of the #8 and #2 Tiel Way, Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church, and the house on Liberty Bell by Mackie & Kamrath. Brichford has a photo of the Kamrath on Thamer, which is one of their more original organic designs and it definitely needs to be included along with his photos of the Mitchell house and some more info on it if possible. Something on William Norman Floyd should be there too.

Let's keep this thread toward the top for suggestions.

Thanks, but I just know a bit about Jenkins and that's about it. I especially love the more "miesian" houses in Houston, but anything with lots of glass is great in my book.

All the rest of these sound like great additions. If I can't come up with information, I'll at least be able to present the buildings people would like to see to the others who know a lot more than I do... But time is tight with everyone. I haven't been able to get mine up there yet! The ones I put up there were to get my feet wet with the process. I think it's going well so far. Several people are going to be submitting buildings and anyone is welcome to help. I just have to upload them and edit the picture to the right size (315 pix wide for the small ones and the big ones can be any size). I'm going to try to find some time to formulate a list of at least 25 houses to focus on. I've also got the logistics of the lecture in April to help on, and a Houston Mod membership drive too!

If you send the 8 Tiel Picture I'll replace mine with yours on the site.

Jason

I'd like to find out more about the Krakower house. Robert Bowlby (Krakower's deliniator (sp?)) in about '56 has sent me a good deal of information about some of the projects he worked on, including one never built that was supposed to span the bayou. Jason, you probably know a heckuva lot more than I do about buildings.

By the way, we need the Goff house on the site, pics of the Herb Greene house in decent shape (maybe hard to find; try Gerald Moorhead), and more Barnstone. I've got several fantastic shots of the #8 and #2 Tiel Way, Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church, and the house on Liberty Bell by Mackie & Kamrath. Brichford has a photo of the Kamrath on Thamer, which is one of their more original organic designs and it definitely needs to be included along with his photos of the Mitchell house and some more info on it if possible. Something on William Norman Floyd should be there too.

Let's keep this thread toward the top for suggestions.

It expired, it was not under the house category, but was under the lots category. It was on the Mod list for awhile.

Link to expired listing

I was wondering what happened with this, but forgot to follow up.

P.S. Jason if you need photos I also have some that I took which are pretty good. I have a good shot of the Price house in Timberwilde, and also the Kamrath that Brichford shot as well. Oh, I also have some of that white house on Braeswood that you, Vanessa, and I love so much. Unfortunately it does not photograph well. The clerestories are nearly impossible to get into the photo because of it's lot size.

The site looks great, btw!

We may love that house, but I know some modernists that remember that house before it was altered (paint and esp inside) who probably wouldn't appreciate that being in the "first wave" of moderns we put on the website...

Still, you can post them here if you have a photobucket account or other picture host.

RPS - do you know why the house on Pine Forest was marketed as a teardown on the old listing? What's so wrong with it?

Jason

I was wondering what happened with this, but forgot to follow up.

P.S. Jason if you need photos I also have some that I took which are pretty good. I have a good shot of the Price house in Timberwilde, and also the Kamrath that Brichford shot as well. Oh, I also have some of that white house on Braeswood that you, Vanessa, and I love so much. Unfortunately it does not photograph well. The clerestories are nearly impossible to get into the photo because of it's lot size.

The site looks great, btw!

I wish I could have seen the Braeswood house before. I didn't know the inside changes were drastic, only that it had been painted. I figured the changes were no different than the changes made to the Carter house on the site.

I'll try to set up a pic host and post the images.

What I would love to see are some great photos of the Frame house on the website. For me that is just the epitome of what I would like to see people doing around Houston. I truly appreciate the caution and restraint that was done on that project.

We may love that house, but I know some modernists that remember that house before it was altered (paint and esp inside) who probably wouldn't appreciate that being in the "first wave" of moderns we put on the website...

Still, you can post them here if you have a photobucket account or other picture host.

RPS - do you know why the house on Pine Forest was marketed as a teardown on the old listing? What's so wrong with it?

Jason

Archived