The Circle At Hermann Park: Multifamily At 3 Hermann Museum Circle Dr.

while driving by the Mosaic, i noticed that they were clearing out the trees and leveling the land.

is something going up, or Are they simply making it ha e better "curb appeal"?

I just drove past there last night but evidently wasn't paying attention. Can you be more specific? Which side of the street?

• 2 months later...
Can someone tell me what is being built by the mosaic on Hermann Park Dr.? The land at the corner of Almeda and Hermann Park Dr. has been cleared and there is a large hole in the ground that resembles that of a pre-high-rise base. Thanks.

We've already got a thread on here somewhere about that. It'll be a large apartment complex, but not a highrise. They broke ground very quickly after both Mosaic towers were allocated for condos.

Actually, it's condos: www.mosaichouston.com

Indeed. "...after both Mosaic towers were allocated for condos."

But for a long time, the apartments across the street were being held up because the second of the Mosiac towers was supposed to also be apartment units. Land clearing for this project began shortly after a Chronicle article revealed that both towers would be condos.

So these two towers will not be on the same lot, but across the street from each other?

No, the Mosaic's towers will both be attached to one another by the parking garage and amenities platform. This new project that frid mentioned that is across the street is completely seperate and will be apartments.

That's what I gathered. I just thought that maybe it was phase II of the complex that's on the block just north of it.

Originally, it was supposed to be Ph. II of the Esplanade. My understanding, though, is that it is a different developer and that it'll be positioned as its own distinct complex.

• 4 months later...

Anybody know if it's phase 2 of Esplinade or a brand new development? I live nearby and drive by this site on my way to work. I notice that it's really coming along. They've built a large parking garage and now they are working on the structures next to it. I don't see any signs that might say exactly what it is. I wonder if there's any chance of retail, since it's so near Mosaic with it's new retail, that would be really nice for the area!

Anybody know if it's phase 2 of Esplinade or a brand new development? I live nearby and drive by this site on my way to work. I notice that it's really coming along. They've built a large parking garage and now they are working on the structures next to it. I don't see any signs that might say exactly what it is. I wonder if there's any chance of retail, since it's so near Mosaic with it's new retail, that would be really nice for the area!

My underrstanding is that Simmons Vedder is developing this and its not actually Phase 2 of Esplanade.

My underrstanding is that Simmons Vedder is developing this and its not actually Phase 2 of Esplanade.

Simmons Vedder is developing two in the TMC area, but that this isn't one of them. One is under construction at OST, east of Almeda. Another is on the cusp of breaking ground at the old Garden Ridge site on OST at Kirby. They're exceptionally bullish on the TMC, but I can't imagine that anyone in their position would build a whole seperate complex just up the road from two other projects under development that haven't at least started leasing yet. Too many eggs in a basket.

Turns out that Archstone-Smith did finally decide to build it themselves--they were the ones that did Esplanade. This one will be called "The Oasis" and will be positioned as its own seperate complex to avoid confusion between it and the Esplanade.

So it's just going to be a run of the mill apartment complex?

Structured parking on the interior. Physically similar to esplanade, but I'd imagine that the aesthetic will be at least somewhat different if they're trying to brand it as its own complex. Without a rendering, its hard to say exactly, but I wouldn't expect anything more architecturally groundbreaking than a Class A+ complex, at best.

Sorry if this is off topic but I thought this was interesting.... The Vedder project at Kirby and OST seems to be mixed use. I hadn't heard that before, but it should be good for the area, which is mostly big box and fenced in apartment complex land.

What I really want to know is will "Oasis" be mixed use or just another fenced in apartment complex?

Sorry if this is off topic but I thought this was interesting.... The Vedder project at Kirby and OST seems to be mixed use. I hadn't heard that before, but it should be good for the area, which is mostly big box and fenced in apartment complex land.

What I really want to know is will "Oasis" be mixed use or just another fenced in apartment complex?

When I spoke with Simmons Vedder a while back, the rep started to compare it to Post Midtown and then backed down just a little. I'm not really clear how truely "mixed" it'll be when all is said and done.

I haven't heard anything about Oasis, but Archstone doesn't have a track record of doing mixed-use projects and is probably developing the complex to conform to institutional investors' criteria for acquisition, which would explain why they're keeping this one seperate from Esplanade (institutional players don't like complexes that are too large). Those kinds of criteria tend not to be as accepting of mixed-use residential-over-retail projects except in very particular circumstances.