One Shell Plaza At 910 Louisiana St.

ArchitecturalPRGirl

I moved downtown 4 months ago and absolutely love it. It's very attractive to a lot of people as all of the new complexes are leasing up very fast. It still has a way to go, but once all of the current apartments under construction, hotels, and the convention district are complete it will definitely take it to the next level.

• Like 8

Can you give any detailed info on how fast the new apartments are being rented?  I'd love for that to be true, but I haven't seen any info -- anecdotal or otherwise -- for a long time.

Despite all the gloom-and-doom in the air, doesn't downtown still have something like 150,000 daytime workers?  Seems like it would only take 2-3% of those people wanting to swap their commute for downtown living to fill up the rental units coming on line.

Edited by ArchFan

1 hour ago, ArchFan said:

Can you give any detailed info on how fast the new apartments are being rented?  I'd love for that to be true, but I haven't seen any info -- anecdotal or otherwise -- for a long time.

Despite all the gloom-and-doom in the air, doesn't downtown still have something like 150,000 daytime workers?  Seems like it would only take 2-3% of those people wanting to swap their commute for downtown living to fill up the rental units coming on line.

Sorry to go off topic for this thread, but here is an article from Mid august stating that 500 Crawford where I live is already 40% leased after having move ins starting in March. The whole north half of the building just opened not too long ago and I can tell more people are moving in as the parking garage has more and more cars.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2016/08/16/ahead-in-the-standings-fingers-new-multifamily-community-off-to-a-good-start-near-astros-field/

Edited by Nole23

Bummer. Somehow they managed to get through the 80's oil bust, and the late 90's bust when gas prices hovered around $1 for a few years, without leaving the iconic real estate that they built for themselves downtown. Also remarkable that they signed a 20 year lease here in 2011 IIRC, and talked about the uniqueness of downtown as a work environment. And it touched everyone's heart when they remained committed to One Shell Center in downtown New Orleans (designed as a replica of One Shell Plaza, sheathed in the same shellstone) in the aftermath of Katrina, when industry observers thought they'd move those offices to Houston. Now I guess if you're a Shell worker, you're hoping to end up in the New Orleans office rather than the boring 'burbs Houston office, where you can look at the Katy Freeway all day and eat lunch at Applebee's.

Whoever said that this was a generational issue between baby boomers and younger workers is absolutely correct. The young workers have signaled loud and clear where they would rather be (~5,000 mostly high-end apartments built in central Houston in the last few years).

I think worries about downtown's health long term are misplaced - it has the highest office rents of any Houston submarket, in sharp contrast to some of our peer cities. And with the residential wave and street revitalization, it stands to become more attractive to companies than it has been in a long time, probably since the 70's. The vacancy holes are akin to the collapse of energy trading companies in 2001-2002. Took about 5 years (and a major rise in oil prices) to refill. I guess that's our yardstick on any new office construction downtown, including Skanska and Hines projects.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I think worries about downtown's health long term are misplaced - it has the highest office rents of any Houston submarket, in sharp contrast to some of our peer cities

"No one wants to be there - the rents are too high"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cspwal said:

"No one wants to be there - the rents are too high"

The rents would not be high if people did not want to be there. Occupancy will take a hit in the current cost-cutting environment, just like Class A apartments are taking a hit. It's a nice problem for downtown to have - a problem most other mid-American cities (including Dallas and Atlanta) would envy. Even downtown L.A. does not have the rents that our downtown does.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Has shell vacated?  Was it really 60% of the building?

any news on leasing to a new tenant(s)?

There's one new tenant who'll consolidate all Downtown offices here next year. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Yes.  A lease was recently signed for about 20 of the Shell floors

Wow!  That's big news!  Thanks Tigereye and CREguy!

Tigereye: if it's a downtown company already then occupancy rates in the CBD will stay the same.  That's too bad, I was hopeful it would be a new tenant so occupancy would go up.

when will the name of the new tenant be public?

35 minutes ago, ryrohtx said:

NRG Energy. They've notified employees already. 

20 floors worth of 1 Shell sounds like a lot more space than they would currently have over at Green Street. Are they consolidating other Houston offices or are they moving operations from elsewhere?

I think they have some corporate office presence in New Jersey. Is that moving?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

20 floors worth of 1 Shell sounds like a lot more space than they would currently have over at Green Street. Are they consolidating other Houston offices or are they moving operations from elsewhere?

I think they have some corporate office presence in New Jersey. Is that moving?

Yes, 20 floors of 1 Shell would be a lot more than they had at GreenStreet (probably at least double).  According to the Houston Business Journal "NRG did say that “its downtown Houston offices plan to come together in a single location” at 910 Louisiana, in the statement."  Hopefully, they are also moving the New Jersey offices.

I bet they'll get naming rights.  Surely the Shell name will be taken off the building.

Edited by Houston19514

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, 20 floors of 1 Shell would be a lot more than they had at GreenStreet (probably at least double).  According to the Houston Business Journal "NRG did say that “its downtown Houston offices plan to come together in a single location” at 910 Louisiana, in the statement."  Hopefully, they are also moving the New Jersey offices.

I bet they'll get naming rights.  Surely the Shell name will be taken off the building.

If this is a sublease, they may have to wait until Shell is no longer the sandwich lessor/lessee to get naming rights. I think Shell signed a 10 or 20 year lease here back in 2011. Then again, anything can probably be made to work with the right negotiation/compensation.

More impactful would be if they met the city's requirements to put their name or logo on the building. But I think to do that you need to lease at least half of the building, in addition to it being your corporate headquarters.

12 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

If this is a sublease, they may have to wait until Shell is no longer the sandwich lessor/lessee to get naming rights. I think Shell signed a 10 or 20 year lease here back in 2011. Then again, anything can probably be made to work with the right negotiation/compensation.

More impactful would be if they met the city's requirements to put their name or logo on the building. But I think to do that you need to lease at least half of the building, in addition to it being your corporate headquarters.

Good thoughts.  Very interesting idea about qualifying for the Continental Airlines exception.  FWIW, below is the exception language from the ordinance.  To summarize, NRG would have to occupy at least 45% of the gross usable floor space of the building. They would presumably have to make Houston their sole headquarters. IF they qualified (and it appears they would not meet the 45% requirement, they could display their registered trademark (logo) by light projection or similar technology, only visible between sunset and sunrise.

The height limit of 421⁄2 feet for signs in the central business district shall not apply to a headquarters logo sign that meets each of the following criteria:

1. The sign may display only the registered trademark or a portion of the registered trademark of the principal occupant of a headquarters building. For purposes of this requirement, a headquarters building is a structure that has 750,000, or more, square feet of gross usable floor space, provided that at least 45 percent of the gross usable floor space is occupied by the holder of the registered trademark as the headquarters for its operations in the world, within the United States, or within a region of the world that includes all of the United States.

2. The sign shall be displayed upon the surface structure of the headquarters building. The display may be created by light projection, video projection, laser technology, or other technology that causes the image to appear upon the surface structure of the building and shall appear upon the roof structure, a parapet wall, or other building surface that is situated above the highest occupiable story of the building. The sign shall be visible only between sunset and sunrise. The sign may utilize projection equipment or other light sources that are not readily visible from ground level but shall not utilize any conventional sign cabinet or structure.

3. Evidence must be provided with the sign permit application that (i) the entity to be represented on the sign is the principal occupant of the headquarters building, meaning that it occupies more space within the building than any other occupant, (ii) that the criteria set forth in Item (1) above are applicable, and (iii) that the building owner accepts and agrees to the removal requirement specified below. The building owner’s agreement to remove the sign shall be accompanied by evidence of title demonstrating ownership of the building, shall be in the form of a covenant running with the title to the property that is approved by the city attorney, and shall be recorded at the applicant’s expense in the real property records of Harris County.

1. The sign illumination must be a continuous image that is not blinking or animated in any manner.

2. No more than two signs, each not exceeding 1500 square feet in area, may be placed on any building under this exception.

A sign authorized under this exception is authorized for only so long as each of the criteria specified above remains in effect. Upon request of the Sign Administrator, the permit holder shall provide evidence of compliance with the requirements of this section. Upon failure to timely provide evidence of compliance or upon any change of circumstances that causes a sign to no longer be authorized, the Sign Administrator shall revoke the permit, and the building owner shall upon request of the Sign Administrator cause the sign to be removed.

Based on those rules, it seems like Shell would have qualified, since this was their U.S. headquarters. I wonder why they didn't pursue it.

Always thought the L.A. skyline looked tacky with all the names. I do think having a few scattered names on buildings as in Chicago can look classy and actually make the skyline more interesting. In L.A. it seems like it's every building.

12 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Based on those rules, it seems like Shell would have qualified, since this was their U.S. headquarters. I wonder why they didn't pursue it.

Always thought the L.A. skyline looked tacky with all the names. I do think having a few scattered names on buildings as in Chicago can look classy and actually make the skyline more interesting. In L.A. it seems like it's every building.

Apparently, we can thank Gerald Hines.  From Cite magazine:  "It was Gerald Hines who, in the early 1970s, had helped persuade Shell Oil to forego a sign on its building and, with other developers such as Kenneth Schnitzer, promoted the idea that downtown's architecture should be allowed to speak for itself, and not be marred by names or logos."

29 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Apparently, we can thank Gerald Hines.  From Cite magazine:  "It was Gerald Hines who, in the early 1970s, had helped persuade Shell Oil to forego a sign on its building and, with other developers such as Kenneth Schnitzer, promoted the idea that downtown's architecture should be allowed to speak for itself, and not be marred by names or logos."

Nice find.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Stantec to consolidate Houston offices to landmark One Shell Plaza building

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Stantec-to-consolidate-Houston-offices-to-14559129.php#photo-18492770

Stantec, a global design and engineering firm, will consolidate its Houston employees to downtown’s One Shell Plaza next month.

The move will bring together approximately 175 employees from the firm’s water, buildings, oil and gas, community development and transportation groups on the 26th floor of the 50-story building at 910 Louisiana, as of Nov. 25.

“We wanted to be in a vibrant city location, in an iconic building, getting all of our experts together,” said David Irvine, senior vice president and geographic leader for Stantec.

The company currently has offices at downtown’s 500 Jefferson building, 20 East Greenway Plaza and 580 Westlake Park Blvd. in west Houston. Its leases at the buildings were timed to end around the same time as part of the plan to consolidate.

Stantec Architecture designed the 23,000-square-foot office, which incorporates a collaborative culture and cooperation across several business sectors. The new office is designed with an open, modern, flexible space with collaboration and group work areas, private and quiet work areas and break rooms.

The downtown location, accessible by public transportation, offered a central location for employees, who live all around town, from downtown to The Woodlands to Katy to Pearland to Sugar Land. Dining, theater and sports venues are nearby.

7oqtvBm.jpg

vCgxdtp.jpg

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 6

Does anyone know if the former antenna mast on the roof still serves a purpose?  I know with the completion of Allied Bank Plaza (now Wells Fargo Plaza) and Texas Commerce Tower (now Chase Tower) it somewhat blocked the usefulness/operational functions of the antenna.  But I came back to Houston in 2000 and the antenna still looked the same.  However currently it seems to be stripped down to just a pole.  Again, anyone know if it still serves a purpose?

2 hours ago, EspersonBuildings said:

Does anyone know if the former antenna mast on the roof still serves a purpose?  I know with the completion of Allied Bank Plaza (now Wells Fargo Plaza) and Texas Commerce Tower (now Chase Tower) it somewhat blocked the usefulness/operational functions of the antenna.  But I came back to Houston in 2000 and the antenna still looked the same.  However currently it seems to be stripped down to just a pole.  Again, anyone know if it still serves a purpose?

I seem to recall reading that now it's just serving the purpose of an architectural spire.  Though in that case, because spires count for the height of buildings (unlike antennas), it should then be considered the second tallest building in Houston (the spire makes it 1000 feet even).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The antenna mast does not count as part of the total height of the building.  The CTBUH does not include "antennae, signage, flagpoles or other functional-technical equipment" in height measurements.

https://www.ctbuh.org/criteria/

I veto that statement, one shell plaza is now our 3rd supertall. May Houston be know as the great supertall city of Texas, with our 3 majestic big ones, 600 travis street: 1002 ft, one shell plaza: 1000 ft, and wells fargo plaza: 992 ft. This is a great addition to the Houston skyline, solidifying Houston's dominance. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

I veto that statement, one shell plaza is now our 3rd supertall. May Houston be know as the great supertall city of Texas, with our 3 majestic big ones, 600 travis street: 1002 ft, one shell plaza: 1000 ft, and wells fargo plaza: 992 ft. This is a great addition to the Houston skyline, solidifying Houston's dominance. 

I guess you can have your own reality, but CTBUH (and not TheSirDingle) is widely accepted as the authority on building height determinations and they do not count antennae and the like. We do NOT have a third supertall.  But we do still reign as the great (and only) supertall city of Texas.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2