M5250: Gables Multifamily At 5250 Brownway St.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All kinda bad pictures. Sorry about that. I was a little rushed (and the last one I was actually driving and trying to take a picture with my DSLR, so it came out kinda wonky):

DSC_0720_zps238438b7.jpg

DSC_0719_zpsf133ab56.jpg

My car is totally not conspicuous in that picture, is it? ;)

DSC_0721_zpsd2877ae7.jpg

DSC_0722_zpsad12986f.jpg

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 2

I watch this building on a daily basis.  I don't care for the design, but at least it looks a little better since they started applied the paint.  My frank opinion is that it looks better -- just a bit -- than highrise apartments in a lot of 3rd-world cities.  But ... at least its not another Mercer ... and, maybe it will encourage more pedestrian oriented development in the area.

Thanks for the photo update, I didn't realize the west side was clear of the scaffold.  Also, I can't decide if I think the building is really big... or the windows are really small... Either way it seems like the exterior is pretty blah.  Kind of reminds me of that building at West Alabama and Buffalo Speedway.

"PLENTY"? Yeah, for every "plenty" I could name 2-3 terrible or mediocre at best that has gone up in the past 15 years. Let's face it, the standard for quality architecture in Houston has dropped dramatically and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. There ARE 1-2 designs coming that I think all of us are excited about, but whether it's admitted to or not, too many of us have been let down too many times since the start of this site.

With regard to chronic pissy-ness at this site....I don't dispute that.

You're just wrong. People can determine 'quality' for themselves. Architects can't please everyone, least of all the chronically pissy.

Chronic 'anything' tends to weaken one's argument. Glad you admit you're chronically pissy, at least. I suppose I could take someone's chronically pissy OPINION a little more seriously if I ever read one post that suggested anything other than COMPLETE bias. All velvet j has proven to me is that some people can't be pleased under any circumstance and that HIS life sucks.

Need proof? Anyone who has nothing better to do at 4:59 a.m. than to bash Houston on the internet has more personal issues than I care to think about.

Yes, I do see a pattern here, and Houston architecture is NOT the problem. With regards to chronic pissyness, I have no doubt that one of velvet j's ex-boyfriends can back me up here, poor slob.

Edited by Mister X

"PLENTY"? Yeah, for every "plenty" I could name 2-3 terrible or mediocre at best that has gone up in the past 15 years. Let's face it, the standard for quality architecture in Houston has dropped dramatically and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. There ARE 1-2 designs coming that I think all of us are excited about, but whether it's admitted to or not, too many of us have been let down too many times since the start of this site.

With regard to chronic pissy-ness at this site....I don't dispute that.

We've had hideous things go up for decades, as well as quite a few great things go http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MzXlQElMCKw/TY1toOwJZII/AAAAAAAAARg/-74SQyV64jw/s1600/250320111678.jpg'>up very recently. I wouldn't say that current construction is necessarily worse than previous.

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 1

swtsig is one of the best posters on here. Pretty sure he also likes Houston.

I like Houston too but it doesn't mean I have to like each and every damn thing developers throw up. 

Personally, I give this one a pass. It's decent infill and I like the fact that it went vertical rather than just being another 4-6 story box. It's really hard to do high rise residential well since people want balconies but balconies usually make for ugly architecture. 

This building looks like a block straight out of the Soviet Union or North Korea. If you were to add 50 or 60 more of these things next to each other, you'd have Pyongyang or some other God forsaken city that nobody cares about. I hate to poo poo some people's high opinion of this building but poo poo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by this building today and yes, it's not sexy, that's for sure.  However, I still remain optimistic for BLVD Place that there will be something modern to reshape Post Oak and the Galleria area.  This city needs a concentrated area that all Houstonians can all be excited about and want to show off to out of town guests.  We have an opportunity to do this, if someone has the proper vision.  If that happens, Whitco's claim to fame will be the terrific views. We'll see... :)

I love my home town of Houston, but I hate to see more architectural crap like this going up.  I see this building every day and -- forgive me for being nostalgic -- we didn't have designs like this being regularly imposed on us until after the crash in 1983.  This is worse than the "Memorial Windsor" and continues Houston's march toward being filled bland concrete structures reminiscent of 3rd world countries in 1980.  Even the ancient Lamar Tower is easier to look at than this one.

The rental tower going up at Alabama and Weslayan gives me hope that maybe we can break this cycle of "no deposit, no return" highrise residential architecture.  That building's design is not everyone's cup of tea, but at least it is a break from the stuff we've been getting for the last few years.

As an architecture prof once said to my class:  "that building wasn't designed by an architect ... at least, i hope it wasn't!"

WOW, you have no idea how much that post says about you do you Mister X? If ever there was a emotional response to a STRANGER'S opinion, your post was it. :-)

You're just wrong. People can determine 'quality' for themselves. Architects can't please everyone, least of all the chronically pissy.

Chronic 'anything' tends to weaken one's argument. Glad you admit you're chronically pissy, at least. I suppose I could take someone's chronically pissy OPINION a little more seriously if I ever read one post that suggested anything other than COMPLETE bias. All velvet j has proven to me is that some people can't be pleased under any circumstance and that HIS life sucks.

Need proof? Anyone who has nothing better to do at 4:59 a.m. than to bash Houston on the internet has more personal issues than I care to think about.

Yes, I do see a pattern here, and Houston architecture is NOT the problem. With regards to chronic pissyness, I have no doubt that one of velvet j's ex-boyfriends can back me up here, poor slob.

WOW, you have no idea how much that post says about you do you Mister X? If ever there was a emotional response to a STRANGER'S opinion, your post was it. :-)

I got no problem with stranger's opinions. I got no problem with being emotional. I do have a problem with people who only show up to b!tch. And that is all you do at Haif. You get what you give.

Edited by Mister X