Mayor Bill White to negotiate with plants across Houston region to reduce levels of benzene

Double L

A 50 percent reduction in benzene from all facilities along the Ship Channel would be needed to achieve levels that are considered safe, city officials said.

"So long as none of their benzene goes into the air we breathe, I have no problem with them. So long as they put stuff in the air that blows into the lungs of our citizens, I've got to stand up for our citizens," White said. "And I believe, the citizens of outlying communities will benefit as well."

But Science tells us it is socially optimal for people to die from pollution! Doncha see? If the city tries to reduce pollution, we won

Man, I can't believe the hubbub that this is stirring up. The Mayor wants to help the city's citizens, and they bite his hand and say that he is wasting resources. I just don't get it.

I see Subdude's point though.

In many ways advancements in medicine have "prolonged" peoples lives to the point of where they aren't living comfortably. In the old days, they would have just died off.

It's about time thr Mayor try to do something like this. I thought he should have begun negotiations when he became Mayor in the first place. It's not just an environment-thing from his position, but it's now wn economic one. With all this road and highway expansion projects going on in Houston, the clock is ticking before our federal funding is in jeopardy to pay for it.

With all this road and highway expansion projects going on in Houston, the clock is ticking before our federal funding is in jeopardy to pay for it.

Unless some new type of transportation is in the making, I don't forsee roads going away soon.

If Houston does not reach EPA air-quality attainment then they will cut us off from federal highway funding dollars. However, I do not believe that law was made against Benzene, I believe it was for O-Zone attainment. I think it is true that we are going to have to do much more than just begin to reduce cancer-causing chemicals.

The Federal Standards don't make much sense.

Sure, let's comply 100% and criple the nation's infrastructure when plants produce less.

Houston is the nation's energy engine. They need to work with us on thi$.

:lol:

Good point of irony, yo. If you don't lower the amount of pollution from your power plants, we won't give you funding for you to build more freeways to allow more cars to drive on them that give off just as much pollution. Game winning plan on the environment, huh?

Per the summary of the University of Texas School of Public Health report, as initiated by the City of Houston Health Department:

...the study did not find consistent statistically significant overall trends in increased cancer incidence associated with adults...living in Harris County in regions with higher average ambient 1,3 butadiene and benzene concentrations compared to those with lower average ambient air 1,3 butadiene and benzene concentrations...
...the study did not find consistent statistically significant overall trends in increased cancer incidence associated with children living in Harris County in regions with higher average ambient benzene concentrations compared to those with lower average ambient air benzene concentrations...

---------------------------------

Good point of irony, yo.

The greater point of irony is that, if they cut off our highway funding because of ozone non-compliance, it would be because we only have a few sensors that have ever indicated excessive pollution, all very much east of town and around the ship channel, where very few people live. Without federal funding, we aren't able to handle growth, can't cope with the greater pressures on our highway system, and end up with a city in which the pollution is bad where people live.

The Federal Standards don't make much sense.

Sure, let's comply 100% and criple the nation's infrastructure when plants produce less.

Houston is the nation's energy engine. They need to work with us on thi$.

I think it may be a stretch to think that compliance with federal air standards is going to "cripple the nation's infrastructure." Other cities in compliance seem to be doing just fine. If "working with us" actually means "let local businesses continue to illegally pollute" then I would rather they not "work with us," thank you very much. I worry that poor air quality is hurting Houston's reputation and economy.

I think it may be a stretch to think that compliance with federal air standards is going to "cripple the nation's infrastructure." Other cities in compliance seem to be doing just fine. If "working with us" actually means "let local businesses continue to illegally pollute" then I would rather they not "work with us," thank you very much. I worry that poor air quality is hurting Houston's reputation and economy.

But MidtownCoog is right that the Federal standards don't make sense. And he's probably far more right than he realizes.

A city is considered out of compliance if any one sensor shows a level of ozone that is above the limit too many times per year. Houston has only had a handful of sensors that have ever exceeded the federal standards, and only three that consistently cause us to be in non-attainment. So why should the whole region pay the consequences because a very small (and sparsely populated) part of that region is ever in noncompliance?

Companies look at facts when they make relocation decisions. Do you honestly think that Toyota cares about Houston's reputation for pollution, or do you think that they might've looked at the data, understood that most of the city is relatively clean, but that federal regulation (whether it is justified or not) may cause future logistics problems within the Houston region?

Come on, Subdude, this is a really transparent matter. If Toyota were trying not to associate themselves with a city perceived as polluted, why did they recently spend so much money to create a massive red logo emblazed upon downtown Houston?

A city is considered out of compliance if any one sensor shows a level of ozone that is above the limit too many times per year. Houston has only had a handful of sensors that have ever exceeded the federal standards, and only three that consistently cause us to be in non-attainment. So why should the whole region pay the consequences because a very small (and sparsely populated) part of that region is ever in noncompliance?

A "handful"? Of which and how many sensors? Of which federal standards? Please cite a source, because this comes as some surprise to find out that Houston has no problem with ozone. The words 'patently absurd' spring to mind.

Bear in mind that standards are subject to change - as are reporting requirements. If a company is no longer required to report violations, that doesn't affect the actual amount of pollutants released.

The EPA "did not adhere to its own rulemaking guidelines" when it changed the reporting requirements of the Toxics Release Inventory, TRI, program, according to a new GAO report.

The TRI program provides the public information about toxic substances released in their neighborhoods - the changes allow some companies to avoid reporting releases of toxic chemicals.

"EPA may not have conducted a proper final agency review - this is one that seeks input from EPA's internal program and regional offices," said John Stephenson, GAO director of natural resources and the environment. Link

A "handful"? Of which and how many sensors? Of which federal standards? Please cite a source, because this comes as some surprise to find out that Houston has no problem with ozone. The words 'patently absurd' spring to mind.

If I remembered with some degree of certainty, I'd have stated the number. I want to say that it was the same three as the ones that cause non-attainment, but am not certain. It has been many years since I've enjoyed a rant from Bart Smith on the subject of environmental economics.

As far as stating that "Houston has no problem with ozone," yes that would be 'patently absurd'. Even pollution levels below federal standards (which are pretty well arbitrary in nature) can be harmful on the margins, but still, many pollution problems are more costly to fix than the damage they cause.

...but since I never stated that "Houston has no problem with ozone," I'm not sure where you're coming from. <_<

Air pollution trends in Houston

Pollutant: Carbon Monoxide 2nd Max at 3 sites: 2.2 ppm in 2005 (it was 3.5 ppm in 2000, 6.4 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Nitrogen Dioxide Annual Mean at 3 sites: 0.015 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.017 ppm in 2000, 0.021 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Ozone 4th Max at 7 sites: 0.087 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.102 ppm in 2000, 0.119 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Ozone 2nd Max at 7 sites: 0.119 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.164 ppm in 2000, 0.196 ppm in 1990).

according to these trends the pollution situation has inproved since 1990 not worsened.

• 3 weeks later...

seems mayor white has offended the mayors of nearby cities such as pasadena, deer park etc by proposing plans for their cities even though he isn't mayor. should be interesting.

article

Four area mayors accuse Houston Mayor Bill White of overstepping his authority with his plan to reach beyond his city limits to negotiate voluntary reductions in carcinogenic benzene emissions at plants from Texas City to Baytown.

The mayors of LaPorte, Baytown, Pasadena and Deer Park say White has no business invading their turf and feel snubbed because they weren't consulted prior to the plan's unveiling three weeks ago.

"Mayor White is over Houston," LaPorte Mayor Alton Porter said. "He's not the mayor over all Harris County."

The mayors also say White's plan could hurt their cities' economy. They contend cars

Mayor cuts back clean-air proposal

Plan targets fewer pollutants, extends time to meet standards

Nuisance Ordinance

Draft of the ordinance

Pollution standards, by chemical, proposed by city of Houston beginning in 2012

Pollution standards, by chemical, proposed by city of Houston for 2008-2011 Mayor Bill White has significantly scaled back a controversial plan to make Houston the first place in Texas with health standards for hazardous air pollutants, according to a draft circulated this week.

The latest version of the proposed nuisance ordinance covers fewer pollutants and facilities, and postpones setting thresholds at concentrations considered safe until 2012.

The changes, according to the mayor's office, improve the proposal by targeting the pollutants that pose the most risk and giving industry time to achieve the goals.

Establishing standards

The shift comes as White

seems mayor white has offended the mayors of nearby cities such as pasadena, deer park etc by proposing plans for their cities even though he isn't mayor. should be interesting.

article

Four area mayors accuse Houston Mayor Bill White of overstepping his authority with his plan to reach beyond his city limits to negotiate voluntary reductions in carcinogenic benzene emissions at plants from Texas City to Baytown.

The mayors of LaPorte, Baytown, Pasadena and Deer Park say White has no business invading their turf and feel snubbed because they weren't consulted prior to the plan's unveiling three weeks ago.

"Mayor White is over Houston," LaPorte Mayor Alton Porter said. "He's not the mayor over all Harris County."

The mayors also say White's plan could hurt their cities' economy. They contend cars

It makes sense for him to take an interest in those areas as well.

but he's the mayor of houston. not pasadena, deer park, etc. he didn't even approach the cities to make it a group effort. that is why they are irritated.

If Houston does not reach EPA air-quality attainment then they will cut us off from federal highway funding dollars. However, I do not believe that law was made against Benzene, I believe it was for O-Zone attainment. I think it is true that we are going to have to do much more than just begin to reduce cancer-causing chemicals.

That's interesting.

Air pollution trends in Houston

Pollutant: Carbon Monoxide 2nd Max at 3 sites: 2.2 ppm in 2005 (it was 3.5 ppm in 2000, 6.4 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Nitrogen Dioxide Annual Mean at 3 sites: 0.015 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.017 ppm in 2000, 0.021 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Ozone 4th Max at 7 sites: 0.087 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.102 ppm in 2000, 0.119 ppm in 1990).

Pollutant: Ozone 2nd Max at 7 sites: 0.119 ppm in 2005 (it was 0.164 ppm in 2000, 0.196 ppm in 1990).

according to these trends the pollution situation has inproved since 1990 not worsened.

Latest Houston Fashion trend for the near future haute couture...

level-a-hazmat-suit.jpg

LOL i'm sure you'll get the extra bonus of no mosquitos or fire ants can bite you with this suit on. let's just hope you don't have to go to the restroom quickly.

With the pollution levels as bad as they are we may not be able to use the RR any more, become sterile? Scary! Everyone will lose their MOJO. :(

• 1 month later...

Mayor Bill White's plans to clean up Houston's air were dealt a blow Tuesday when the Senate tentatively passed a measure that would prohibit local governments from regulating pollution coming from outside their boundaries.

"This isn't over air quality. It's over city sovereignty," said Sen. Mike Jackson, R-La Porte, who carried the bill. "This is a policy issue, not an environmental bill."

Jackson also acknowledged the bill had become a partisan issue. It was passed along party lines, in a 20-11 vote.

Sen. Mario Gallegos, D-Houston, just back from a liver transplant, attempted to filibuster the bill but gave up his efforts to talk the bill to death after less than 30 minutes.

Until now, the city had successfully blocked legislative attempts to limit its power to clean Houston's air.

full article

Unbelievable. It's one thing for the State to completely shirk its responsibility to enforce its own laws on air quality. But, it's another thing altogether to pass laws forcing the City not to help itself. This is akin to the fire department not only refusing to put out the fire, but blocking the exits as well.

Full Disclosure: I own a ton of Exxon stock. After posting a $38 BILLION profit last year, several million to clean the air of the city it calls home won't hurt it one bit.

I am disgusted.

Unbelievable. It's one thing for the State to completely shirk its responsibility to enforce its own laws on air quality. But, it's another thing altogether to pass laws forcing the City not to help itself. This is akin to the fire department not only refusing to put out the fire, but blocking the exits as well.

Full Disclosure: I own a ton of Exxon stock. After posting a $38 BILLION profit last year, several million to clean the air of the city it calls home won't hurt it one bit.

I am disgusted.

Things like this coming out of Texas aren't even surprising any more. I've spent the last 10 years defending my birthplace but it's getting harder and harder to do.

if only the PEOPLE would wake the F up...

Not that I dont' think something should be done to curb pollutants from plants outside the city limit, but don't you think, Red, that it sets a bad precedent for a city to attempt to regulate other cities?

Wouldn't this be akin to telling other cities how they have to run their criminal justice system because their "criminal element" is crossing into Houston and committing crimes?

Archived