Sunnyland

Guest danax

I think I know the house you are referring to which is on Evergreen near the library at Keller. You make a good point but I would rather see that nice oversized mcmansion on that small lot than a 1,300 sq. ft. dilapidated shack.

luckily it was an empty lot all this time. but if there was a dilapidated shack there, it would be an improvement.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i found it is more what you make of it. with some work you can have a nice house. a friend from san antonio who moved from there to spring just stopped by. he was shocked at how well i updated mine because it has more character than the new homes. the condition on the wood floors just seemed to get his attention. these are the kind of houses that can be found and restored on the east side. what was more interesting to me, he thought i could get 150k.

mc mansions...hmmm...this is sounding like aspiring to be in bellaire or something..hmmm....

mc mansions...hmmm...this is sounding like aspiring to be in bellaire or something..hmmm....

Sounds great to me! Anything is better than having to be around these uncooth hillbillies... like Mrs Drysdale from The Beverly Hillbillies would say!

Sounds great to me! Anything is better than having to be around these uncooth hillbillies... like Mrs Drysdale from The Beverly Hillbillies would say!

my neighbor has a new cement pond but their house is falling apart!

Ouch. Vertigo, what kind of repairs have you done to your house? What kind of improvements? Just curious.

Guest danax

So far, any McMansions on the East End seem to have been built on vacant lots, as have a few one-story new homes. The new one-stories in Pecan Park area have sold for about $150K whereas the existing ones of roughly the same size usually go for $80-100K. So, this could be interpreted as an early sign that teardowns, townhomes and McMansions are the next larger wave.

Sunnylan and Pecan Park both share original architecture very similar to West U's originals, although of a slightly cheaper variety with less brick. Will there be McMansions replacing these homes like in West U eventually? The big difference is that McMansioners might tend to have children and the schools here aren't likely to be attractive anytime soon so I would guess that townhomes will be the straw that eventually stirs the teardown drink on the lower East End, where the geographical advantage is the quick access to the 45.

I, on the other hand, hold out romantic hope for a restoration wave to actually preserve "East U" (don't laugh, HCC Southeast is nearby :) ) where I live. There aren't any of these homes in quantity left on the West End.

Houston will lose yet another little piece of its heart if all the quaint Blondie and Dagwood homes from the 30s and 40s end up in the landfill.

Though it will probably happen, I'd hate to see all of these old homes demolished and replaced with McMansions or townhomes. It's such a wasteful practice. Not only do most new homes contain a multitude of glaring errors, with respect to scale and Classical Architecture, their insensitive designs can also have a detrimental effect on the neighboring older homes. The over-scaled nature of these new homes usually results in the loss of mature trees, but sunlight and views can also be blocked. More importantly, the grading around the new house is typically higher than that of its older neighbors, causing water to drain under the older pier-and-beam houses. The standing water accelerates differential settlement and foundation problems, and can also cause mildew to grow in the older houses. As a slap in the face, the buyers of the new houses are typically self-centered materialistic snobs who look down on and make ridiculous demands from their neighbors in the older homes, the same neighbors who created the neighborhood that the new people were initially attracted to.

Circle the bungalows! The yuppies are coming!

I, on the other hand, hold out romantic hope for a restoration wave to actually preserve "East U" (don't laugh, HCC Southeast is nearby :) ) where I live. There aren't any of these homes in quantity left on the West End.

while there are some bad remodels...there are still quite a few nice ones in orginal condition. and a primo location for me!

end up in the landfill.

Yes, it makes me scream to think of what ends up there! Furniture too!

Just Monday I drove past a redo near Dowling (Shotgun house) and the workers had thown out all the old furniture. They may have thought it was junk but upon further observation I noticed 1 or 2 tables that were over 80 years old and these idiots had just thrown these beauties in the heap. I quicky picked them up and am restoring. I knew they were worth grabbing because of the intricate Victorian detail & veneer & the little wheels on bottom. These are the same items that end up on lower Westheimer at 10 times of what they are worth. They do a crappy job of quick spray paint and sell it! I now have 2 crank up Victrola's that still work! One is dated March 1912 (right before Titanic went down) and I play old Rudy Vallee and Al Jolson/Charleston/Tango records. Too much!

Guess I could start a whole new thread on antique furniture restoration.

I was out of town when The Antiques Roadshow was here, rats!

end up in the landfill.

Yes, it makes me scream to think of what ends up there! Furniture too!

Just Monday I drove past a redo near Dowling (Shotgun house) and the workers had thown out all the old furniture. They may have thought it was junk but upon further observation I noticed 1 or 2 tables that were over 80 years old and these idiots had just thrown these beauties in the heap. I quicky picked them up and am restoring. I knew they were worth grabbing because of the intricate Victorian detail & veneer & the little wheels on bottom. These are the same items that end up on lower Westheimer at 10 times of what they are worth. They do a crappy job of quick spray paint and sell it! I now have 2 crank up Victrola's that still work! One is dated March 1912 (right before Titanic went down) and I play old Rudy Vallee and Al Jolson/Charleston/Tango records. Too much!

Guess I could start a whole new thread on antique furniture restoration.

I was out of town when The Antiques Roadshow was here, rats!

That's cool. Old furniture being restored is a great idea. I was curious about your house. Where are you located and what improvements have you done to your property?

1) Not only do most new homes contain a multitude of glaring errors, with respect to scale and Classical Architecture . . . . 2) causing water to drain under the older pier-and-beam houses.

DTM - you seem to know what you are talking about and I am ignorant in this area so I am hoping you can provide additional insight on:

1) My house was actually built in the 40's and I often hear folks say that old homes were built better than today's homes but I am not sure what are the specifics. For example, what do you mean by error with respect to scale and Classical Architecture? What about materials? Are today's materials generally cheaper or is it a matter of builders taking shortcuts and using the cheapest possible materials in order to cut costs?

2) Regarding the foundation, my folks have owned an older home in Pecan Park for many years and they have had to repeatedly level that house over the years. Is this normal for homes in that area or are they just using the wrong foundation repair company?

1) My house was actually built in the 40's and I often hear folks say that old homes were built better than today's homes but I am not sure what are the specifics. For example, what do you mean by error with respect to scale and Classical Architecture? What about materials? Are today's materials generally cheaper or is it a matter of builders taking shortcuts and using the cheapest possible materials in order to cut costs?

2) Regarding the foundation, my folks have owned an older home in Pecan Park for many years and they have had to repeatedly level that house over the years. Is this normal for homes in that area or are they just using the wrong foundation repair company?

here's my 2 cents

1)materials were definitely better. one big difference is lumber stock. the lumber used was harder (took longer to grow) even on things like studs. today there's no way they would use the same quality because of cost. i see many builders using pressed lumber today. that just falls apart when exposed to moisture.

2) if the land under the house is wet that usually makes the problem worse. i know john pfister (the house leveler) told me that he wouldnt even attempt to level my house unless i corrected my drainage issues. he said the money would be wasted because it would quickly shift again. in houston though...slight shifting is going to happen unless you have deep piers.

Guest danax
here's my 2 cents

1)materials were definitely better. one big difference is lumber stock. the lumber used was harder (took longer to grow) even on things like studs. today there's no way they would use the same quality because of cost. i see many builders using pressed lumber today. that just falls apart when exposed to moisture.

2) if the land under the house is wet that usually makes the problem worse. i know john pfister (the house leveler) told me that he wouldnt even attempt to level my house unless i corrected my drainage issues. he said the money would be wasted because it would quickly shift again. in houston though...slight shifting is going to happen unless you have deep piers.

As for the lumber, I've tried nailing into some of the 100 yr old studs in my house and the nails will bend unless hit perfectly. Very dense grain. For comparison, I've bought some of Lowe's best grade "select pine", which is Radiata Pine grown on farms and, even though I'm using screws in pre-drilled pilot holes, the wood will crack easily and break off in chunks if anywhere near the end of the board. Fast growing and full of weak sapwood.

As for the pier and beam; I think musicman is correct and even if there is a leveling needed every 5-10 years or so, it can often be done by the homeowner or for a lot less than repairing a cracked slab, plus the utilities are accessable from the crawl space. A lot of the new townhomes aren't on slabs, but on modified modern versions of pier and beam. I'm not sure what the correct term is for that method.

I can't comment about current designs violating architectural standards etc. The old 40s homes are often plain-jane exteriors but that in and of itself is unique and can be considered "minimalist" and look best, IMO, done up like Grandma's house on the outside while the interior can look very hip and modern; a nice combo. It seems like the most hideous architecture is when an original style is modified to resemble something else entirely. It never seems to look right.

I will throw in my .02cents on the lumber used back in the day. My home was built according to HCAD in 1940. There is no sheetrock in my house either. Wood paneling you say? Yes but the paneling is also approx 1.5 inches thick of solid wood. Very unique and very hard. In order to pop a nail in my house you need to pre-drill the wood or else frustration will set in. Of course you could hang pretty much anything anywhere in my home without bothering to check where a stud is too. My house also has the original roof on it so it's approx 67 years old now, not bad if you ask me and many homes in the area have the same roofing which they call slate but personally I think it something else... cough cough!!!

Oh yes the brick is also better back then too.

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

I will throw in my .02cents on the lumber used back in the day. My home was built according to HCAD in 1940. There is no sheetrock in my house either. Wood paneling you say? Yes but the paneling is also approx 1.5 inches thick of solid wood. Very unique and very hard. In order to pop a nail in my house you need to pre-drill the wood or else frustration will set in. Of course you could hang pretty much anything anywhere in my home without bothering to check where a stud is too. My house also has the original roof on it so it's approx 67 years old now, not bad if you ask me and many homes in the area have the same roofing which they call slate but personally I think it something else... cough cough!!!

Oh yes the brick is also better back then too.

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

yep the shiplap on the walls makes for a very strong structure. when the foundation guy leveled my home, i didn't have to repair any of the sheetrock due to cracks because there weren't any new cracks as a result. sometime in the early 40's the shiplap went out, maybe cause of the war effort. i have a neighbor a block away who doesn't have shiplap in her home. but many in pecan park do.

Foundation settlement is one of the downsides in this area but that is quite widespread in Houston.

There is hardly any house that has some kind of tilt or shift. Is it because the ground is too soft? Is Houston sinking period? Maybe all of this could be why? Geologist might know. If I walk out to the street corner and look at some of the homes they all seem to lean in some direction. When a home is sold at such a reasonable price there is bound to be something wrong but we take the risk.

If and when I win the lotto I will more than likely level this house buy up the other 3 surrounding lots and build a 10 story high rise condo for professionals only. I see nothing wrong with that at all. It will be the best thing that ever happened to this area I am convinced of that. Its going to happen either way with time maybe not for us here, now on this forum today but in the very near future. I can see a big freeway going right through this area in about 10 years or less. Nature of the beast, progress. :mellow:

1) Not only do most new homes contain a multitude of glaring errors, with respect to scale and Classical Architecture . . . . 2) causing water to drain under the older pier-and-beam houses.
DTM - you seem to know what you are talking about and I am ignorant in this area so I am hoping you can provide additional insight on:

In response to your questions:

1) Classical architecture is all about proportion and scale. The concept of proportion has to do with geometry; it deals with the height of an item, relative to its width. Some proportional relationships are seen as more pleasing than others, due to the fact that they occur in nature. One famous example is the "golden section" - a rectangle whose sides have a relationship of 1:1.618. This proportion was discovered by the Greeks, and predominates in many famous Classical buildings. Other examples include the square, the circle, and several right triangles. The Italian architect, Palladio, became a master at taking one proportional relationship and executing it in three dimensions, creating many spaces that subconsiously felt "harmonious and pleasing" to occupy. The concept of scale is very similar to proportion, but it has to do with the size of an object, relative to its surrounding objects. Successful architecture groups objects of a similar scale. For example, openings and ornamentation are sized according to the dimensions of surface on which they occur, and rooms are often sized according to the people who occupy them. For example, public rooms (living rooms and dining rooms) are sized to their typical occupancy, so that people don't feel crampled, while private rooms (bedrooms and bathrooms) are made smaller to create a more intimate and private atmosphere. These two concepts, proportion and scale, are difficult to master, especially now that they are not emphasized as much in architectural education. Unfortunately, people are now more concerned with the superficial aspects of a building (Wow! Granite countertops!), while also living under the misconception that bigger = better. These misconceptions often show up in most new construction, resulting in buildings that don't look quite "right", especially when compared to older buildings designed in the Classical tradition. Long answer, but that's the reason why most people hate McMansions.

Many construction materials today are not of the same quality as those used in the 1940s, regardless of whether the builder is cutting corners. Most homes built in Houston in the 1940s used old-growth pine for all of the structural components (studs, shiplap, etc.) Old-growth pine is no longer harvested for lumber, due to its rarity. Pine used contemporary construction has a much looser grain, and is therefore softer, weaker, and more attractive to termites. Other new materials, such as OSB, particleboard, and finger-jointed lumber are pure garbage. Our humid climate quickly causes them to disintrigrate.

2) Pier and beam houses in Houston will always shift and suffer from differential settlement, due to our soil. The heavy clay "gumbo" soil found in our area swells when wet, and shrinks when it dries out. This movement causes any structure built on the soil to shift. Pier and beam houses move every time that it rains. Allowing water to drain away from the house lessens this movement, since the soil under the house stays at a relatively constant dampness. If water is allowed drain under the house the dampness of the soil will vary drastically, and the house will shift more drastically. If you own a pier and beam house in Houston, it's always going to move, and is never going to be perfectly level. Fortunately, pier and beam foundations are easier and cheaper to fix than slab foundations. I suspect this is one of the main reasons why they are regaining popularity.

In response to your questions:

1) Classical architecture is all about proportion and scale. The concept of proportion has to do with geometry; it deals with the height of an item, relative to its width. Some proportional relationships are seen as more pleasing than others, due to the fact that they occur in nature. One famous example is the "golden section" - a rectangle whose sides have a relationship of 1:1.618. This proportion was discovered by the Greeks, and predominates in many famous Classical buildings. Other examples include the square, the circle, and several right triangles. The Italian architect, Palladio, became a master at taking one proportional relationship and executing it in three dimensions, creating many spaces that subconsiously felt "harmonious and pleasing" to occupy. The concept of scale is very similar to proportion, but it has to do with the size of an object, relative to its surrounding objects. Successful architecture groups objects of a similar scale. For example, openings and ornamentation are sized according to the dimensions of surface on which they occur, and rooms are often sized according to the people who occupy them. For example, public rooms (living rooms and dining rooms) are sized to their typical occupancy, so that people don't feel crampled, while private rooms (bedrooms and bathrooms) are made smaller to create a more intimate and private atmosphere. These two concepts, proportion and scale, are difficult to master, especially now that they are not emphasized as much in architectural education. Unfortunately, people are now more concerned with the superficial aspects of a building (Wow! Granite countertops!), while also living under the misconception that bigger = better. These misconceptions often show up in most new construction, resulting in buildings that don't look quite "right", especially when compared to older buildings designed in the Classical tradition. Long answer, but that's the reason why most people hate McMansions.

Many construction materials today are not of the same quality as those used in the 1940s, regardless of whether the builder is cutting corners. Most homes built in Houston in the 1940s used old-growth pine for all of the structural components (studs, shiplap, etc.) Old-growth pine is no longer harvested for lumber, due to its rarity. Pine used contemporary construction has a much looser grain, and is therefore softer, weaker, and more attractive to termites. Other new materials, such as OSB, particleboard, and finger-jointed lumber are pure garbage. Our humid climate quickly causes them to disintrigrate.

2) Pier and beam houses in Houston will always shift and suffer from differential settlement, due to our soil. The heavy clay "gumbo" soil found in our area swells when wet, and shrinks when it dries out. This movement causes any structure built on the soil to shift. Pier and beam houses move every time that it rains. Allowing water to drain away from the house lessens this movement, since the soil under the house stays at a relatively constant dampness. If water is allowed drain under the house the dampness of the soil will vary drastically, and the house will shift more drastically. If you own a pier and beam house in Houston, it's always going to move, and is never going to be perfectly level. Fortunately, pier and beam foundations are easier and cheaper to fix than slab foundations. I suspect this is one of the main reasons why they are regaining popularity.

Wow, thanks for everyone for sharing their insight but in particular - mad props to Dan The Man for such a thorough explanation which was scientific yet artistic somehow. I certainly will be looking at architecture in a different light from this point forward.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove through this neighborhood the other evening, and in light of the comments in this thread, I took a closer look at the homes and layout of the neighborhood. Danax's use of the word "chaotic" is very appropriate. Much of this chaos seems to stem from the abundance of parked vehicles everywhere. The residents should be forced to park their vehicles in their driveways (that's why they exist!), since it appears that vehicles parked on both sides of the street don't leave enough room for emergency vehicles. It would also vastly improve the appearance of the neighborhood.

Anyway, on a more positive note, many of the homes are really cute, and most of them look like they still have their original features inside. They are, for the most part, "beat-up" and "rough around the edges", but tasteful remodels would really make the neighborhood look like a 1940s movie set. Some look like they have severe foundation problems and wood rot, so their condition and location may not justify the economic expenses of restoration. That intriguing house for sale on Eskridge comes to mind. It looks really neat, in that it retains most of its original architectural features (I'd love to take a look inside!), but it looks like it has been vacant for a long time, and it shows signs of severe wood rot around the windows. This causes one to wonder if the cost of repairing the damage to the structure, coupled with the necessary upgrades to make the house livable again, outweighs the resale value of a house only a few blocks from a major freeway.

The layout and housing stock of Sunnylan(d) are identical to what originally existed in the western half of West University. Both neighborhoods have 50'X100' lots on straight streets with cottage-type homes. I actually felt like I was in the West University of the 1970s and 1980s. I'll bet if I looked hard enough, I could find some "twin" houses between the two neighborhoods. Speaking of twins, I'd be willing to bet that elementary school building on Dismuke has the same plan as River Oaks Elementary or Poe Elementary, as it looks very similar.

As I was leaving the neighborhood, I took note of Vertigo's comments about the skyline and convent woodland. The woodland gives the neighborhood a nice rural feel on the eastern fringe, softening the chaotic nature of the city around it. As I turned left on Lawndale from Sunnyland St, I saw the downtown skyline at sunset. I was left with a nice feeling, knowing that one could experience such drastically different views from each side of a street. It seemed to sum up all of the characteristics of Houston's urban environment.

Guest danax
I drove through this neighborhood the other evening, and in light of the comments in this thread, I took a closer look at the homes and layout of the neighborhood. Danax's use of the word "chaotic" is very appropriate. Much of this chaos seems to stem from the abundance of parked vehicles everywhere. The residents should be forced to park their vehicles in their driveways (that's why they exist!), since it appears that vehicles parked on both sides of the street don't leave enough room for emergency vehicles. It would also vastly improve the appearance of the neighborhood.

Anyway, on a more positive note, many of the homes are really cute, and most of them look like they still have their original features inside. They are, for the most part, "beat-up" and "rough around the edges", but tasteful remodels would really make the neighborhood look like a 1940s movie set. Some look like they have severe foundation problems and wood rot, so their condition and location may not justify the economic expenses of restoration. That intriguing house for sale on Eskridge comes to mind. It looks really neat, in that it retains most of its original architectural features (I'd love to take a look inside!), but it looks like it has been vacant for a long time, and it shows signs of severe wood rot around the windows. This causes one to wonder if the cost of repairing the damage to the structure, coupled with the necessary upgrades to make the house livable again, outweighs the resale value of a house only a few blocks from a major freeway.

The layout and housing stock of Sunnylan(d) are identical to what originally existed in the western half of West University. Both neighborhoods have 50'X100' lots on straight streets with cottage-type homes. I actually felt like I was in the West University of the 1970s and 1980s. I'll bet if I looked hard enough, I could find some "twin" houses between the two neighborhoods. Speaking of twins, I'd be willing to bet that elementary school building on Dismuke has the same plan as River Oaks Elementary or Poe Elementary, as it looks very similar.

As I was leaving the neighborhood, I took note of Vertigo's comments about the skyline and convent woodland. The woodland gives the neighborhood a nice rural feel on the eastern fringe, softening the chaotic nature of the city around it. As I turned left on Lawndale from Sunnyland St, I saw the downtown skyline at sunset. I was left with a nice feeling, knowing that one could experience such drastically different views from each side of a street. It seemed to sum up all of the characteristics of Houston's urban environment.

Great observations. The parking problem is due to the unfortunate combination of the obsolescence of the one-car garages and the adult over-density, each having their own vehicle. This nabe is an example of one that is on the brink of a cycle change. It went from the original group made up of owner-occupants who saw it as a decent, middle class place to raise a family to a place where the residents are oblivious and uninterested in how the neighborhood and architecture once was and where it's headed. Land values are rising so the next step will either be restorers or demolishers or, the current group might linger for decades more.

Homes from this era haven't hit any of the restoration magazines yet, which is partly why they're still affordable, but once you've seen one that has been restored, you'll realize that they are no less worthy than our beloved bungalows. A neighborhood full of them in restored condition would be stunning, as you mentioned. I've found that it's seldom the case where a home is so far gone that it can't be fixed and even spending $30K on an $80K house only leaves you at $110K, half the price of a starter townhome.

Where are the adventurous DINKs and gays? Sunnylan awaits you!

Homes from this era haven't hit any of the restoration magazines yet, which is partly why they're still affordable, but once you've seen one that has been restored, you'll realize that they are no less worthy than our beloved bungalows. A neighborhood full of them in restored condition would be stunning, as you mentioned. I've found that it's seldom the case where a home is so far gone that it can't be fixed and even spending $30K on an $80K house only leaves you at $110K, half the price of a starter townhome.

Where are the adventurous DINKs and gays? Sunnylan awaits you!

as does Pecan Park.

Sunnylan[d] lot sizes:

A very quick glance @ HCAD for a couple of streets, looks like the lot sizes vary fron 5800-6400 sq ft. Yes, parking on street is a MAJOR problem! Biggest problem though is the # of persons occupying each house/garage conversion. There is one corner with duplex garage apt with ?? how many tenants/cars & on other side of street a "quite popular young man with loud music....all this making crossing Dismuke dangerous. Oh, I forgot to mention the stray dogs that appear from between the parked cars. Martha Stewart could do a whole years broadcast from Sunnylan:)

like danax said, these house were designed when times were simpler. people want too much now.

like danax said, these house were designed when times were simpler. people want too much now.

Totally true,

I recall reading the history of Hughes Tool nearby and the article detailed the beginnings and boom of this immediate area. I also knew several seniors that confirm that once WWII ended vets returned at such an alarming rate that the homes couldnt be built fast enough to accomodate them. Most homes were built with the mindset of husband, wife and 1-2 children that's it. Hence, homes with one to two bedrooms (maybe 3) as we did over on Munger street near Austin HS. My mom said when they found this 3 bedroom in 1968 it was one of the very few around/available here so they grabbed it.

What I found very interesting was our next door elderly neighbor said her home was built around 1922, 5th lot from the corner. She said her house and the 3 on each corner were the only ones on Munger street the rest were just grassy field. That blows me away! I mentally pictured just these 4 houses with tiny trees and thats it. She was able to see each house built as the years passed. Once the war ended she said it really took off. The baby boom was here!

Incomes must have been better at one time too as we would see uniformed maids and housekeepers at bus stops along Broadmoor even until the early 70's. There were even uniformed groundskeepers or lawn & garden workers that would frequently maintain neighbors yards. Most of this vanished as time went by.

I clearly remember as a kid that almost every street only had 2-5 cars parked in the street. Everyone else parked on their driveways. (Glad we have photos to prove it) I also recall seeing boats & some motorcycles in many backyards. Just about every home had a garage apartment in back which is now making a comeback. Sadly, hundreds of garages have been modified as living quarters for many of these renters. This has only added to the overcrowding of the neighborhood. I doubt if any had to get permission or permits to legally do so. Some garages have up to 2 families packed in. This has been the crisis in this area for some time. Wish I had a solution but it becomes political. If we had council people living around here it could have made a big difference in changing the appearance. That's yet to be seen.

• 5 months later...

It's getting close to "protest time" for my house in Sunnylan. Maybe Vertigo or someone else can answer some questions that haunt me each year..........

1. My house is always being compared to sales in the area E of Breas Bayou/Forest Park Cemetery In the past, few homes sold in the Sunnylan area between Lawndalr & Fwy and Des Jardines to Sunnyland. This area is made up of several small subdivisions. This year the properties in that area E of Bayou/Cemetery are lower per sq ft than the Sunnylan area. In past yrs, it has been reversed.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what is happening on the NW corner of Lawndale & Dismuke? Last night the old convenience store/flower shop, & car repair shop were demolished into a pile of concrete! A new convenience store/gas station going in [there is none in that immediate area since the one on Lawndale & Wayside was demolished for the new strip center]. Vertigo 58 where are you?

My rent house is becomming vacant very soon, so guess I'll witness whatever happens.l I'll put up my tacky "for sale" [reduced price] & "for rent" signs next week.

Anyone know what is happening on the NW corner of Lawndale & Dismuke? Last night the old convenience store/flower shop, & car repair shop were demolished into a pile of concrete! A new convenience store/gas station going in [there is none in that immediate area since the one on Lawndale & Wayside was demolished for the new strip center]. Vertigo 58 where are you?

My rent house is becomming vacant very soon, so guess I'll witness whatever happens.l I'll put up my tacky "for sale" [reduced price] & "for rent" signs next week.

See the bold letters above? We did a balloon drop as soon as we saw that beautiful site vanish! Wish I could have filmed it! Happy, Happy Joy, Joy! :P

Now, not to get too happy as we do not know what might pop up. It could be the same dude that built the new shopping center across the street and he also tore down the old house at Dismuke and next street over from Lawndale. Now if he implodes the beer joint on the corner it will be pure jubilation! This developer seems to be the only serious person taking advantage of these give-away lots. We are ready to come by and pop open some champagne and throw streamers!

I have been telling others of your house. If I were you I would have another person go to the U of H main campus and post the house on the boards. Advertise as perfect for students and or faculty. Serious! This is what the majority of our area was like mostly U of H crowd. I prefer a frat party anyday opposed to....There are free advertising boards on campus. Worth a try. I would buy it but love the wopded area of the convent so much.

Now, time to polish up the champagne glasses! Happy Thanksgiving! :lol:

See the bold letters above? We did a balloon drop as soon as we saw that beautiful site vanish! Wish I could have filmed it! Happy, Happy Joy, Joy! :P

Now, not to get too happy as we do not know what might pop up. It could be the same dude that built the new shopping center across the street and he also tore down the old house at Dismuke and next street over from Lawndale. Now if he implodes the beer joint on the corner it will be pure jubilation! This developer seems to be the only serious person taking advantage of these give-away lots. We are ready to come by and pop open some champagne and throw streamers!

I have been telling others of your house. If I were you I would have another person go to the U of H main campus and post the house on the boards. Advertise as perfect for students and or faculty. Serious! This is what the majority of our area was like mostly U of H crowd. I prefer a frat party anyday opposed to....There are free advertising boards on campus. Worth a try. I would buy it but love the wopded area of the convent so much.

Now, time to polish up the champagne glasses! Happy Thanksgiving! :lol:

You are right on target Vertigo58! LindaVista bought in Oct according to HCAD. Value shown is $102,000, but doubt it sold for anywhere near that. The Hillman/Dismuke house sold at bargain basement sales price [i heard thru the grapevine]. I will check into UH advertising next week, thanks for reminding me. thank you for telling others @ house! We really want to sell it. We'll have to see how it looks when tenants move & decide what to do with it. Most tenants stay until house gets really dirty or something breaks they can't tolerate [but don't tell us @ it]. When tenants move out it's always a guessing game as to what is going on. We've gotta find someone to do the yard & clean it.

I've gotta wash & rinse champagne glasses in vinegar water so they sparkle really bright to toast the new 'goings on' in Sunnylan!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE ON THE FORUM...remember white meat of turkey has less fat & calories/colesterol [sp?] than dark meat of turkey....make up for fat, calories, cholesterol with dessert!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot believe my eyes! Another trash-out on Dismuke & Lawndale! Current one is the old bar that sit back on SW edge of corner! It is right behind the trashed-out house on McCormick/Dismuke Corner. Couple of weeks ago, the NW corner was trashed out! Vertigo...dust off the champaign classes:). Working on my house near there, I cannot believe my eyes @ the number of police cars I'm seeing buzzing thru the neighborhood.....3/4 in a 4 hr time frame. Also noticing much more policing in other older neighborhoods @ town [not just Sunnylan area]....North side & NW area. Tax bill time of year! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Cannot believe my eyes! Another trash-out on Dismuke & Lawndale! Current one is the old bar that sit back on SW edge of corner! It is right behind the trashed-out house on McCormick/Dismuke Corner. Couple of weeks ago, the NW corner was trashed out! Vertigo...dust off the champaign classes:). Working on my house near there, I cannot believe my eyes @ the number of police cars I'm seeing buzzing thru the neighborhood.....3/4 in a 4 hr time frame. Also noticing much more policing in other older neighborhoods @ town [not just Sunnylan area]....North side & NW area. Tax bill time of year! :)

The little bldg behind the Nuevo Leon (beer dump) is the only thing being crushed (too bad) I was just too excited about seeing the whole mess obliterated. Oh well, hopefully when they try to renew the liquor license they will get blasted with a very high rate or whatever it takes to get rid of that unsitely place.

Actually, it may be the developers dream/vision to redo that whole corner ALL brand new! It would be a real boost to that area!

We are getting balloons/champagne ready for the ballon drop when all this get's going.

Now the count down 10, 9, 8, 7.... :D

Archived