Sunnyland

Guest danax

Lately this neighborhood has been mentioned here as a couple of our members live nearby. One of them corrected me when I called it Sunnyland, saying the deeds read Sunnlan, even though the eastern entrance street is Sunnyland. I have seen real estate listings with Sunnylan and just assumed they were poor spellers and/or typists. Sitting across Wayside from Idylwood, they both share a nice location and classic architecture, but if they were cars, Idylwood might be a well kept T-Bird while Sunnylan would be an '89 Mercury with trashbag windows and out of sync spinners.

At first glance, this nabe hits you with visual discord in the generic Houston "beat up from the street up" barrio style; concrete yards, tacky remodels, homes converted into low-end retail, streets sparsely lined with poorly pruned trees interspersed with rotting stumps, iron and masonry fences, etc. A keener eye separates the classic depression-era architecture; English cottages, Cape Cods, brick bungalows & box awnings which lead to imaginings of the original interiors with their arches, two-panel doors and hardwoods. Then, the place is transformed into a 3-D photo album of mostly "before" shots.

I've often wondered what will become of a place like this. Townhouses? Restored beauties? Or, a typical Houston mish-mash of everything under the sun-nylan.

2s7dpih.jpg358xxes.jpg

2u7yp39.jpg2czt5qr.jpg

33mbjb7.jpg2d7uhw6.jpg2dhb32g.jpg2vju4ag.jpg

2v3mnn9.jpg2ijnbly.jpg

2eantw8.jpg4ccaqva.jpg

2lcu24o.jpg2f066o4.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lately this neighborhood has been mentioned here as a couple of our members live nearby. One of them corrected me when I called it Sunnyland, saying the deeds read Sunnlan, even though the eastern entrance street is Sunnyland. I have seen real estate listings with Sunnylan and just assumed they were poor spellers and/or typists. Sitting across Wayside from Idylwood, the both share a nice location and classic architecture, but if they were cars, Idylwood might be a well kept T-Bird while Sunnylan would be an '89 Mercury with trashbag windows and out of sync spinners.

At first glance, this nabe hits you with visual discord in the generic Houston "beat up from the street up" barrio style; concrete yards, tacky remodels, homes converted into low-end retail, streets sparsely lined with poorly pruned trees interspersed with rotting stumps, iron and masonry fences, etc. A keener eye separates the classic depression-era architecture; English cottages, brick bungalows & box awnings which lead to imaginings of the original interiors with their arches, two-panel doors and hardwoods. Then, the place is transformed into a 3-D photo album of mostly "before" shots.

I've often wondered what will become of a place like this. Townhouses? Restored beauties? Or, a typical Houston mish-mash of everything under the sun-nylan.

Hey! GOOD WORK! Have not seen such such a display of any area of the East End or other areas of town as this on Sunnylan! It indeed deserves attention. I have a 1949 cookbook published by the PTA of Henderson Elem on Dismuke. The surnames are most impressive........some of the movers & shakers of our great city. To make a community rise/appreciate, it takes appreciating ALL areas of the community to improve. Instead of pushing Sunnylan/Sunnyland [spelling is unimportant] let's emphasize the positive [great location, no flooding, solid-built homes, very affordable housing, etc]. Bet if you got a fantastic deal on property in the area, your pics/opinions would differ.

The Heights in the 70s? Sunnyland/Sunnylan looks magnificient in comparison. In fact, some areas of the Heights in the 90s were not very desireable. Look at all the Heights now! Expensive.

We in Sunnylan/Sunnyland are as proud as you are of all the East End. Remember the area of Harrisburg is older than Houston itself. Enough said! Vented enough! I thought this forum was for the good of all areas, not just a choice few. By the way, I was in Eastwood before Sunnylan/Sunnyland!

You know, I've driven through this neighborhood a couple of times, but never quite saw through the imposing barrio to the similarities between this and some parts of the Heights. You make some excellent observations and do great photodocumentary work.

I think that most all of the areas south of Harrisburg, north of I-45, and west of 75th are bound for at least a semi-preserved state. There are areas, of course, where larger warehouses, vacant land, and even some derelict retail will transform into townhome clusters, but I see many or even most of these neighborhoods as having improvements that hold value, whereas improvements that are north of Harrisburg are almost entirely depreciated, and as land values rise, the value of the improvements relative to the value of the land will diminish, making way for a near-complete takeover of townhomes. I see that process as being sparked by the Waterhill developments if they are successful. If KBR/Halliburton goes ahead on their 80 acres along the bayou, I think that developers will want to ride the coattails and that the Greater East End will see a wave of development.

Man, those are some sad pictures! However, this neighborhood poses a lot of potential - it is close in with cute housing stock that is very affordable. I hope more people can see the potential of this area and breathe some new life into the older homes. Many look like they have never been drastically remodeled. Imagine all of the glass doorknobs and telephone nooks that are probably still lurking around in those houses! Many of those homes would be really attractive if restored (especially that Cape-Cod with the maroon van in front). I have some family who have lived in Sunnylan since the 1940s. I'm sure they've seen a lot!

BTW, what is a "box awning"?

Man, those are some sad pictures! However, this neighborhood poses a lot of potential - it is close in with cute housing stock that is very affordable. I hope more people can see the potential of this area and breathe some new life into the older homes. Many look like they have never been drastically remodeled. Imagine all of the glass doorknobs and telephone nooks that are probably still lurking around in those houses! Many of those homes would be really attractive if restored (especially that Cape-Cod with the maroon van in front). I have some family who have lived in Sunnylan since the 1940s. I'm sure they've seen a lot!

BTW, what is a "box awning"?

I'm grateful for the "sad pictures"!! Saving me time & work in organizing material for tax protesting this year! Hope it saves me $$$$$$$$$. Yep, still have the phone nook & some glass doorknobs. Little has been done to change the interior of most homes in the area. This is the beauty of the area though. When restoring, you don't have to tear out previous updating....just go forward with current updating. The 1940s built-in ironing board has gone to the dump. Still have unique built-in porcelain folding table & 2 folding benches [only ones I've ever seen]. Thanks for a positive reply regarding Sunnylan/Sunnyland.

should be the things over the windows here. originally they would have been fabric but went aluminum post-war

I have these on the front of my house as well. when i moved in here i thought briefly about removing them but quickly realized the importance of their function. They work VERY well!. windows don't get hot at all!

These awnings are really something that causes debate among house enthusiasts. Danax has finally come around to liking em at my house!

A good friend in the heights has her original wood on metal frame awnings as do several residents of pecan park.

i'd probably put some on my west side if i could find someone to match the old ones.

I have these on the front of my house as well. when i moved in here i thought briefly about removing them but quickly realized the importance of their function. They work VERY well!. windows don't get hot at all!

These awnings are really something that causes debate among house enthusiasts. Danax has finally come around to liking em at my house!

A good friend in the heights has her original wood on metal frame awnings as do several residents of pecan park.

i'd probably put some on my west side if i could find someone to match the old ones.

I would like to put some aluminum awnings on my windows of my 1974 traditional style house in Spring but the deed restriction don't allow it so i went with the Texas Wax Myrtle Shrubs instead.

should be the things over the windows here. originally they would have been fabric but went aluminum post-war

Actually, they were popular before the war too. I was perusing the microfiche rolls of the Post from the mid-30s and came across several ads for box awnings (which was the name used in the ads). This was when aluminum was being formed into all kinds of new products. I think some are steel too (?). Some of the homes from the 20s-30s have the earlier wooden slat on steel frame awnings as musicman mentioned, which can be very stylish as the slat construction allowed them to be slightly curved on the ends if desired. Although the box awnings were very durable and functional, their popularity seems to have ended sometime in the 40s-50s, and so have become date stamps for homes/neighborhoods like Sunnylan and several others like Pecan Park and Mason Park that were part of the Lower East End construction boom during that period.

I don't believe that they've been reproduced by any company yet, since these style homes, although very unique and distinctive, have yet to achieve any sort of mass popularity like the Victorians, bungalows or mid-century mods. They might also be somewhat limited regionally, as I don't recall seeing many on the West Coast, where most from that era were stuccoed.

By the way, the house in the 7th pic, the one with the "A" on the porch railings, is for sale and I peeked inside. There's a diamond window on the front not visible in the pic and the interior appears to be mostly original with the 2dqjxx3.jpgarchway, original doors and floors.

It's on Eskridge and they're asking 79.9 but it has major rot visible on the window sills and has likely been a termite cafeteria for many years but could be a real gem.

By the way, the house in the 7th pic, the one with the "A" on the porch railings, is for sale and I peeked inside. There's a diamond window on the front not visible in the pic and the interior appears to be mostly original with the 2dqjxx3.jpgarchway, original doors and floors.

It's on Eskridge and they're asking 79.9 but it has major rot visible on the window sills and has likely been a termite cafeteria for many years but could be a real gem.

i like that light fixture. interesting how the doorways have no trim. i wouldn't expect that back then.

Actually, they were popular before the war too. I was perusing the microfiche rolls of the Post from the mid-30s and came across several ads for box awnings (which was the name used in the ads). This was when aluminum was being formed into all kinds of new products. I think some are steel too (?). Some of the homes from the 20s-30s have the earlier wooden slat on steel frame awnings as musicman mentioned, which can be very stylish as the slat construction allowed them to be slightly curved on the ends if desired. Although the box awnings were very durable and functional, their popularity seems to have ended sometime in the 40s-50s, and so have become date stamps for homes/neighborhoods like Sunnylan and several others like Pecan Park and Mason Park that were part of the Lower East End construction boom during that period.

I don't believe that they've been reproduced by any company yet, since these style homes, although very unique and distinctive, have yet to achieve any sort of mass popularity like the Victorians, bungalows or mid-century mods. They might also be somewhat limited regionally, as I don't recall seeing many on the West Coast, where most from that era were stuccoed.

My mother's 1952 house in Lake Jackson still has them. I believe they're original. They are very solid and only require a little paint every few years. When I was little (mid-60s) we didn't have much money so we opened the windows and ran fans; only used a window AC unit at night. Never even occurred to us to be uncomfortable.

marmer

My mother's 1952 house in Lake Jackson still has them. I believe they're original. They are very solid and only require a little paint every few years. When I was little (mid-60s) we didn't have much money so we opened the windows and ran fans; only used a window AC unit at night. Never even occurred to us to be uncomfortable.

marmer

http://www.cheapawnings.com/metal-awnings.html

above company has a couple shown resembling the vintage metal awnings

Also, Aluminum Arts Co here in town may still make them.

Look at all the Heights now! Expensive.

We in Sunnylan/Sunnyland are as proud as you are of all the East End. Remember the area of Harrisburg is older than Houston itself. Enough said! Vented enough! I thought this forum was for the good of all areas, not just a choice few. By the way, I was in Eastwood before Sunnylan/Sunnyland!

Thank you so much for being so positive. Now that everyone has seen what needs to be done let's start fixing it up and getting it back the way it was (or close to).

Like I have stated numerous times, theres nothing nicer than convenience of freeway access, hearing the Convent bells and having a wooded area to your left and the downtown skyline to the right.

By the way I am glad to report I just had some NEW neighbors move in next door and they are 100% for helping restore this diamond in the rough area to the good old days! Yippeeeeee!!!! Block party! :lol:

By the way I am glad to report I just had some NEW neighbors move in next door and they are 100% for helping restore this diamond in the rough area to the good old days! Yippeeeeee!!!! Block party! :lol:

You just better hope that their idea of restore doesn't include a hacienda fence, all the hardiplank you can eat, and new double G (ghetto) windows from home despot.

Maybe start tearing down these sad old homes and build a camelot!? Yeah!

With the right people, those homes could be restored and you would have a circa 1940 version of Camelot, and such a restored neighborhood from that era would be unique for Houston.

Then again, simply not tearing homes down would be unique for Houston, so your Camelot is probably more likely.

Thank you so much for being so positive. Now that everyone has seen what needs to be done let's start fixing it up and getting it back the way it was (or close to).

By the way I am glad to report I just had some NEW neighbors move in next door and they are 100% for helping restore this diamond in the rough area to the good old days! Yippeeeeee!!!!

Having one excellent remodel does inspire nearby neighbors. Have you done your part in the restoration efforts?

Look at all the Heights now! Expensive.

Like I have stated numerous times, theres nothing nicer than convenience of freeway access, hearing the Convent bells and having a wooded area to your left and the downtown skyline to the right.

Maybe start tearing down these sad old homes and build a camelot!? Yeah!

Great news! You are lucky to have such neighbors! I can't see downtown skyline, but can enjoy the Chapel bells at the Convent [Lunch Time]. I'd like to take a tour of the Convent, there's a cemetery there also. Revitalization is not a quick process in any neighborhood. Eastwood was a very slow process. Hubby was raised in Eastwood during the 50s. The Episcopal Church on Telephone Rd was a major factor in Eastwoods revitalization. Eastwood had the first Citizens on Patrol in the city. They were so wonderful in helping keep an eye on my Hubby's parents as they patroled when illness/alzheimers took over their lives [& before they went to independent living housing]. The Epworth Parker Methodist Church has been a cornerstone of Plaza Place & Sunnylan & hope it can continue. LET US KNOW WHEN THE BLOCK PARTY WILL HAPPEN!

Great news! You are lucky to have such neighbors! I can't see downtown skyline, but can enjoy the Chapel bells at the Convent [Lunch Time]. I'd like to take a tour of the Convent, there's a cemetery there also. Revitalization is not a quick process in any neighborhood. Eastwood was a very slow process. Hubby was raised in Eastwood during the 50s. The Episcopal Church on Telephone Rd was a major factor in Eastwoods revitalization. Eastwood had the first Citizens on Patrol in the city. They were so wonderful in helping keep an eye on my Hubby's parents as they patroled when illness/alzheimers took over their lives [& before they went to independent living housing]. The Epworth Parker Methodist Church has been a cornerstone of Plaza Place & Sunnylan & hope it can continue. LET US KNOW WHEN THE BLOCK PARTY WILL HAPPEN!

You get to hear the bells of Villa de Matel Convent and Epworth on the other side. Each church has it's own unique religious tunes.

When Hurricane Rita was heading this way almost everyone had fled the city. You could hear a pin drop. As I was boarding up windows in angst all stressed out & thinking of impending doom, suddenly The Convent started playing

very cheerful music as if to keep those left behind something to hope for. Quite rare.

As far as the block party, I'll be the one dancing on a pony keg!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danax

Here's a cute bungalow at 1802 Hatwell for 88K that is pending sale. The other pics showed carpet which gives me hope there was no ceramic tile laid over the hardwoods. <_<

2aih6bd.jpg

Piece by piece...the Heights wasn't rebuilt in a day. Here's to hoping for more good neighbors for you!

1802 Hatwell looks like a pretty good deal. Looks like it's been well-maintained throughout the years. Some decorative window screens and new landscaping would really make it shine!

That's the exact point I was trying to stress. This immediate area has so much potential.

I grew up with many of the kids in this area. Once they grew up they moved & sold the houses for pennies. One guy I knew still has his moms house empty on Eskridge, they cant decide what to do with it. My elderly neighbor gave hers away for a mere $40,000.00, what! She was the only owner when it was built in 1924.Everything was original inside and out. There are numerous "empty" lots where house either once stood or were never developed at all. There is an empty lot at Craig/Sunnyland. I spoke to the owner he says he had a retired old neighbor that just wanted to rid himself of the lots becaase he was just too old and tired to mess with it. gave it to him for approx $3,000.00 Yes-sireeee. It faces the wooded area and behind it would be the skyline of downtown. I would have bought it but wasnt in the right place at the right time. Beside my yard is too big to deal with another. This is a sleeping giant people. Where's Donald Trump! :)

That's the exact point I was trying to stress. This immediate area has so much potential.

I grew up with many of the kids in this area. Once they grew up they moved & sold the houses for pennies. One guy I knew still has his moms house empty on Eskridge, they cant decide what to do with it. My elderly neighbor gave hers away for a mere $40,000.00, what! She was the only owner when it was built in 1924.Everything was original inside and out. There are numerous "empty" lots where house either once stood or were never developed at all. There is an empty lot at Craig/Sunnyland. I spoke to the owner he says he had a retired old neighbor that just wanted to rid himself of the lots becaase he was just too old and tired to mess with it. gave it to him for approx $3,000.00 Yes-sireeee. It faces the wooded area and behind it would be the skyline of downtown. I would have bought it but wasnt in the right place at the right time. Beside my yard is too big to deal with another. This is a sleeping giant people. Where's Donald Trump! :)

Vertigo, I gotta tell you, you're energy for the East Side is making me optimistic. I'm looking at a house on Munger St. At first, I wasn't sure about the immediate area, becuase it's kind of a hidden "pocket." Then, I drove around and saw $200,000 McMansions! I was like, "Woa."

Seems that this area is really picking up.

Vertigo, I gotta tell you, you're energy for the East Side is making me optimistic. I'm looking at a house on Munger St. At first, I wasn't sure about the immediate area, becuase it's kind of a hidden "pocket." Then, I drove around and saw $200,000 McMansions! I was like, "Woa."

i found it is more what you make of it. with some work you can have a nice house. a friend from san antonio who moved from there to spring just stopped by. he was shocked at how well i updated mine because it has more character than the new homes. the condition on the wood floors just seemed to get his attention. these are the kind of houses that can be found and restored on the east side. what was more interesting to me, he thought i could get 150k.

There is a long street named Fourcade near Munger, someone got smart and built a home that looks like the beautiful 3 story Mediterranean homes you see in West U! If you saw what was there before you wouldn't have believed it! There was a dilapidated, long-time rented shack that was about to tip over with about 10 cars in the yard and lots of mud. Land was cleared and now heaven. These people have a fantastic view in all directions. Growing up here as a kid most of the bigger homes were frats houses & neighbors were mostly retirees. Location, location, well you know the rest. That new 2 story home being built on Munger is another example of miracle! There stood another sad brick home that had to go. Someone had vision and said Do It! Can't wait till its finished! I am starting to see some more & more of the college & professional crowd come back. There is a heaven! :lol:

There is a long street named Fourcade near Munger, someone got smart and built a home that looks like the beautiful 3 story Mediterranean homes you see in West U!

i have one of those mcmansions across from me. it looks way out of place. that type of structure belongs in the burbs and on a larger lot.

Midtownguy,

Thanks for driving the neighborhood and reporting back. My wife and I live on Scharpe St which is a street before Munger but I at one time also owned a home on Munger. It's a great area and neighborhood and it truly is encouraging to see dilapidated shacks either restored or a new home built where it once stood such as that home on Munger. The first home on Munger at Dumble is also being restored by a fireman I have heard. It has been a vacant shack since I have lived here and it will be a good neighbor again.

The word is that this area will become the next Montrose due to the cheap prices, solid homes, and location. I believe this is true as we are so close to downtown, UH/TSU, and Medical Center. When I get on the freeway to go to work it's always moving and reverse traffic for me once I hit 59S.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

someone got smart and built a home that looks like the beautiful 3 story Mediterranean homes you see in West U!

I'm not sure "got smart" is an apt description for a McMansion.

Maybe "got egotistical and built a gigantic out of place monument to themselves" would be more apt.

Archived