HAIF - Houston's original social media

Guest Marty

I was called a blue eyed devil once by a 60 - 70 year old black lady when tried to help her with something. i was a stocker at Krogers on the north side in the 90's. I ask my stock controller "Black" what it meant and he said she gave you disrespect then i made a point to help her find stuff when she entered in the store but eventual she move on to a other store. I was a great sacker also there was a couple of Hispanic family's that belong to a church I use to sack about 60-100 milk gallons of milk for them most of the other sackers would act like don't exist but i would wave my hand at them and say i got you.

BTW im a 32 year old white honkey with Hazel eyes: :lol:

Edited by Marty
Interesting related info: I was shocked after being in Philly last Fall (my first visit) for several days, and experienced outright anomosity for speaking Spanish in a public place - on a cell phone - outside, mind you. I was trying to order some food at a street sandwitch place, and was bluntly told to "speak American", even though I was not talking to the dude taking my order. This happend twice, in somewhat different forms, but twice. I was talking on the cell phone to my mother-in-law while waiting in line to order, when it was about to be my turn to order, and that is when the "comment" was made from the person taking the order, before I even said anything to the guy. This really isnt racism per-se, but it has innuendoes of it. Anyways, my point really is not to agree or dissagree with it, because as an American, I can speak whatever damn language I please: English, Spanish, Binary, C++, whatever. And the friendly sandwicth-order-taker can say anything he likes too, as he prooved that day. My point is that this kind of stuff is not a Houston thing. It is not a Texas thing. It it can happen in Philly, and New York, Chicago, LA...anywere. I guess I have a problem with the title of this thread, mabye. Considering how long I have lived in Texas and Houston, statistically, this kind of thing rarely happens here, at least to me. Anyways, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

[suddenly, 2112 gets on his Donkey, and rides away into the sunset]

[sound of galluping Donkey]

Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English. They have a big picture of a police officer that was killed by a Muslim immigrant. They even have T-shirts that espouse both speaking only in English and deportation of Muslims.

I don't think any restaurant in Texas could get away with such ridiculous stuff.

I was called a blue eyed devil once by a 60 - 70 year old black lady when tried to help her with something. i was a stocker at Krogers on the north side in the 90's. I ask my stock controller "Black" what it meant and he said she gave you disrespect then i made a point to help her find stuff when she entered in the store but eventual she move on to a other store. I was a great sacker also there was a couple of Hispanic family's that belong to a church I use to sack about 60-100 milk gallons of milk for them most of the other sackers would act like don't exist but i would wave my hand at them and say i got you.

BTW im a 32 year old white honkey with Hazel eyes: :lol:

Unfortunately, racism is a two-edged sword: cuts both ways. HUMANS LISTEN.... let's get along... dammit! B)

Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English. They have a big picture of a police officer that was killed by a Muslim immigrant. They even have T-shirts that espouse both speaking only in English and deportation of Muslims.

I don't think any restaurant in Texas could get away with such ridiculous stuff.

[Approaching sound of gallups as 2112 returns on his donkey]

That's exactly where I went!! I also went to the other one, thier competition, cati-corner to it.

The cheesesteaks were pretty good.

Edited by 2112
Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English.

That's really stupid. Aren't they in the middle of a large Italian neighborhood? Most businesses try to cater to their customers, not expect the opposite. :wacko:

That's really stupid. Aren't they in the middle of a large Italian neighborhood? Most businesses try to cater to their customers, not expect the opposite. :wacko:

Google search: Geno's Steaks racist

Results: about 11,600

Appears that others have noticed Geno's attitudes too. And yes, they're really stupid.

I can't believe Italian-Americans in Philly are telling folks to speak English! Last time I checked, "youse" wasn't in the English dictionary.

BTW- 1st post here, I'd expected my first post to discuss something architectually related to Houston, oh well! ;)

As i've said before, Houston might be one the most diverse cities, but also one of the most socially segregrated cities also.

A lot of diverse Houston public schools seem like salad bowls at times. I notice that many kids of the same race at my school sometimes socialize with kids of the same race at lunch. Of course, I receive no animosity when I talk to African-American and Hispanic kids; my school has zero racial tension and I get along fine with all ethnic groups. It's just that, for some reason, the kids at my school tend to "salad bowl" themselves.