Tara Colony

GOLDEN85

golden85,

I have a relative who is on the homeowner's board, so I am quite familiar with the area. I live in the area, also. It *is* a very run-down neighborhood, and the board is powerless to raise the homeowner's dues... which sounds great... until it comes time to pay for the street lights, extra security patrols by the local sheriff's department, etc. If something is not done, many people will find themselves living in a very unsavory neighborhood. the property crime rate is moderate; mostly vandalism and burglaries.

In Tara, you'll see cars parked on lawns, broken down vehicles in the street, unmown lawns, mailboxes fashioned out of old BBQ pit parts, etc. Unless you just cannot afford to live anywhere else, I do not recommend this neighborhood. It used to be a middle class area, but has declined in recent years. Add to that the fact that one exit of the subdivision passes a foul-smelling sewer treatment plant, and you get my point. There are a LOT of rental properties, also, which usually means that houses are not kept up because of absentee landlords.

Four years ago, I bought a new house less than 3 miles away from Tara for $149,000 and it is 2300 sq. ft., so it *is* possible to live in the area affordably and safely. I would avoid Tara if at all possible. Try new developments and builders such as Centex, Gehan and Ryland.

check out New Territory too. I was in your shoes a year and a half ago - same exact budget and expectations and I ended up getting about 2100 sq. feet in New Territory for exactly $150k. I had an offer on a house in Tara Colony (In the newer part - Stone River), but I was playing low ball and someone else came in and made a better offer. I'm glad I didn't get it because it's so close to the train, the houses are all os plain, and there are not enough trees. NT was a good decision in my opinion. If my budget was higher I'd love Telfair.

Also, if you're looking in this area, I found it's best to restrict HAR searches to 77479 zip and exclude 77478. The houses in 77479 are usually newer and nicer.

Archived