America's Favorite Architecture

The American Institute of Architects did a public survey and came up with a list of the 150 most popular buildings and structures in the United States. You have to look far down the list to find anything in Houston.

Here's a link to the list. http://www.npr.org/documents/2007/feb/buil...50buildings.pdf

And the worst part is that there is are recurring discussions about tearing down the Astrodome, which is one of the few houston representatives (#134) on the list. If anyone even mentioned tearing down 30th Streeet Station in Philadelphia (#137), or any other structure on that list, people would think they are nuts.

Yeah, it's hard to take a list like this seriously. I think the reason why Houston's buildings come in so low is (a) we aren't a tourist town, so few people from outside know of our buildings, and ( B) much of our population was born elsewhere, so they don't have the local pride and knowledge of our buildings that people in a city like, say, Philadelphia do.

It would be nice if the average person in this town was familiar with the Gulf building (/JP Morgan Chase) the way people in Chicago know the Tribune Tower, since it's almost equal to it as a landmark, but how many people here do you think could identify it if asked?

Last week, the AIA announced the 150 favorite pieces of American Architecture, according to the public poll "America's Favorite Architecture" conducted by The American Institute of Architects (visit www.aia150.org)

3 Landmarks in Houston were listed:

#132 Pennzoil Place

#134 Reliant Astrodome

#139 Williams Tower

In addition, 2 buildings in Austin were listed as well as one in Dallas.

Nice to see you some good public relations for Houston for a change!

Last week, the AIA announced the 150 favorite pieces of American Architecture, according to the public poll "America's Favorite Architecture" conducted by The American Institute of Architects (visit www.aia150.org)

3 Landmarks in Houston were listed:

#132 Pennzoil Place

#134 Reliant Astrodome

#139 Williams Tower

In addition, 2 buildings in Austin were listed as well as one in Dallas.

Nice to see you some good public relations for Houston for a change!

What ! ! ! Only ONE in Dallas ? Unacceptable ! :rolleyes: (snicker...snicker.)

I am amazed that the Tower of Light (is that the name?) in San Antonio was not mentioned - the best pre-modern skyscraper in the Southwest. Two other early skyscrapers deserving mention are the Hotel Adolphus in Dallas (designed by Cass Gilbert) and, of course, the Gulf building in Houston.

That building in San Antonio is the Tower Life Building. At one time the tallest building west of Mississippi and the first air conditioned skyscraper.

Since the list is more of a popularity contest, than where the hell is the Alamo? It certainly is one of the most famous buildings in the country.

Well it's the AIA, so I guess they're thinking architecture mainly. Though with a bent towards popularity and public recognition.

I wonder what would be the top pre-WWII skyscrapers in the country, outside Manhattan?

Chicago Tribune Tower

Chicago Board of Trade

Wrigley Building (Chicago)

Palmolive Building (Chicago)

Philadelphia City Hall

Baltimore Trust Company Building

Tower Life Building (San Antonio)

Gulf Building (Houston)

Louisiana State Capitol

Nebraska State Capitol

LA City Hall

Something from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit?

Well it's the AIA, so I guess they're thinking architecture mainly. Though with a bent towards popularity and public recognition.

I wonder what would be the top pre-WWII skyscrapers in the country, outside Manhattan?

Chicago Tribune Tower

Chicago Board of Trade

Wrigley Building (Chicago)

Palmolive Building (Chicago)

Philadelphia City Hall

Baltimore Trust Company Building

Tower Life Building (San Antonio)

Gulf Building (Houston)

Louisiana State Capitol

Nebraska State Capitol

LA City Hall

Something from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit?

PSFS, Philadelphia

Archived