Memorial Northwest

KatieDidIt

I plugged in Memorial and this area pulled up.

There are some massive homes on huge lots. I am surprised people aren't scooping these up for remodels. You don't get half an acre for those prices anymore.

What's the story on the area? Is it crime, school or the location that is causing the low pricing?

I plugged in Memorial and this area pulled up.

There are some massive homes on huge lots. I am surprised people aren't scooping these up for remodels. You don't get half an acre for those prices anymore.

What's the story on the area? Is it crime, school or the location that is causing the low pricing?

Memorial Northwest is in a low-crime area zoned to great schools (Klein ISD). The main price factor is probably age (late 70s - early 80s on those homes) and the fact that it's pretty far out without convenient freeway access.

Memorial Northwest has always given a little more bang for the buck on size. Many of the newer homes out there were built by Goettee. The finishes he used inside and out were not that great, among other things. They have very little architecture and are super close together. He built a lot of 5000 to 7000 sq ft homes over off of Naremore Blvd in Memorial NW, but they are like 6 feet apart, literally. The schools are some of the better public schools you will find, and the subdivision is very well maintained. There isn't anything wrong with it, it is sandwiched between Champion Forest and Gleannloch Farms, which are very popular as well.

We lived in Memorial NW when I was in grade school. Champion Forest wasn't extended yet. It was great living there as a kid. I saw the house we lived in (2.5 K sq ft 2 story, 5 br, 3 bath) on har.com for 175K last year. Very underrated IMHO. I think being next to Gleanloch Farms has made the prices drop.

We lived in Memorial NW when I was in grade school. Champion Forest wasn't extended yet. It was great living there as a kid. I saw the house we lived in (2.5 K sq ft 2 story, 5 br, 3 bath) on har.com for 175K last year. Very underrated IMHO. I think being next to Gleanloch Farms has made the prices drop.

I don't think prices have dropped, and I don't see how Gleannloch would hurt property values. If anything, it would be a boost. It has always been a sleeper neighborhood that has been a little bit of a better bargain from day one. Back in the 70's when my parents first bought in there, it was cheaper than Wimbledon, Greenwood Forest and especially Huntwick for the same size house.

• 1 month later...

The only explanation I've heard is that the builder in that neighborhood went bankrupt after the real estate market crashed in '86. To cut their losses they started building big houses on lots that were too small to hold them and then sold them on the cheap. Supposedly the bank that financed them foreclosed on most of them and sold them at rock-bottom prices and the property values never recovered.

The fact that they're really bad looking might also have something to do with it.

Memorial Northwest website

I LOVE Memorial Northwest! It's a beautiful tree-shaded area with big houses and backyards perfect for families, but the best reason to live here would probably be because you're zoned to Klein High School. When we went house-hunting a few years back, we were overwhelmed by so many great choices in this neighborhood to pick from. We ended up moving to Northampton, which is a lot like MNW in many ways, but we really liked that the schools zoned to Northampton, (Northampton Elementary, Hildebrandt Intermediate and Klein Oak), were connected to and within walking distance from Northampton. It has really made the early morning school commutes for kids on different schedules a lot easier.

I agree. It is a very nice neighborhood. One thing that i absolutely love about MNW is how proactive they are. A large group of residents work diligently to maintain that neighborhood. They recently upgraded their entrances, they purchased their clubhouse which was once a private club and have created a plan to update it, they added sidewalks/bike paths along the major corridors, they have lots of organized community activities, they maintain an excellent web site, etc... IMO that speaks volumes for a neighborhood. In the older communities it is difficult to get that amount of involvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial NW is a nice neighborhood. I think the reason those homes arent being snatched up so fast is because they are older and they are competing with tons of new construction thats nearby. Contrary to what some believe on this board, the new construction will attract buyers faster than older existing homes. Why buy someone elses problems when you can have a brand new home near the same area with home warranties and better value for the buck?

I think you guys would really be surprised at the increased number of homes being flipped here. We bought our house in October (it was flipped), the house across the street from ours was flipped, a couple of houses down Theisswood are being/have been flipped... people are starting to figure it out.

Archived