Sign in to follow this  
devonhart

So when did they start tearing down Jones Hall?

Psych! Going through old photos, found this 1975ish Texas Ave photo a friend took. At first glance, at least to me, looks like Jones Hall is under attack, but actually 19th century buildings being cleared away for progress.

jones.JPG

Psych! Going through old photos, found this 1975ish Texas Ave photo a friend took. At first glance, at least to me, looks like Jones Hall is under attack, but actually 19th century buildings being cleared away for progress.

jones.JPG

Chase Tower is now on that spot I am almost certain, but I now wonder if anyone knows what those old buildings (being torn down) used to house? I cant remember.

Chase Tower is now on that spot I am almost certain, but I now wonder if anyone knows what those old buildings (being torn down) used to house? I cant remember.

It looks like it was just small retail. The old Houston Post building was on that block of Texas at Travis. The Iris Theater was also on that block on the Travis side.

jones.JPG

MANY YEARS AGO NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEY REPLACED IT WITH THE HOBBY CENTER.....................YOU NEED TO GO DOWNTOWN MORE......................ITS CHANGED
  • Like 1

MANY YEARS AGO NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEY REPLACED IT WITH THE HOBBY CENTER.....................YOU NEED TO GO DOWNTOWN MORE......................ITS CHANGED

You're joking, right?

You're joking, right?

Just to clarify things, the Hobby Center replaced the Sam Houston Coliseum and the Music Hall, not Jones Hall. The photo and clip was just a play on an image.

really now

The photo here was taken at the NW corner of Milam and Texas, facing SW toward Jones Hall. The photo was taken from the front entrance of the Houston Chronicle at 801 Texas and shows the destruction of the buildings across the street to make way for Chase Tower.