Jones Hall For The Performing Arts At 615 Louisiana St.

devonhart

Psych! Going through old photos, found this 1975ish Texas Ave photo a friend took. At first glance, at least to me, looks like Jones Hall is under attack, but actually 19th century buildings being cleared away for progress.

http://www225.pair.com/dhart007/misc/jones.JPG

• Like 1

Psych! Going through old photos, found this 1975ish Texas Ave photo a friend took. At first glance, at least to me, looks like Jones Hall is under attack, but actually 19th century buildings being cleared away for progress.

jones.JPG

Chase Tower is now on that spot I am almost certain, but I now wonder if anyone knows what those old buildings (being torn down) used to house? I cant remember.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Chase Tower is now on that spot I am almost certain, but I now wonder if anyone knows what those old buildings (being torn down) used to house? I cant remember.

It looks like it was just small retail. The old Houston Post building was on that block of Texas at Travis. The Iris Theater was also on that block on the Travis side.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone out there think that it is time to replace Jones Hall?

Jones Hall was built in 1966 and suffers from many shortcomings. Among them are:

Very poor acoustics - Just ask the musicians who play there. Houston has a world class symphony who should be playing in a world class hall.

Very poor accommodations for the handicapped. Just try to get the the upper rows if you cannot walk well.

Very poor restroom facilities.

Poor - cramped backstage and technical facilities.

• Like 1

Does anyone out there think that it is time to replace Jones Hall?

Jones Hall was built in 1966 and suffers from many shortcomings. Among them are:

Very poor acoustics - Just ask the musicians who play there. Houston has a world class symphony who should be playing in a world class hall.

Very poor accommodations for the handicapped. Just try to get the the upper rows if you cannot walk well.

Poor - cramped backstage and technical facilities.

i disagree. in the 90's all accomodations were made ADA compliant. 1994 through 2000 saw improvements including a new orchestra shell, audio system, HVAC systems replacement among other incremental improvements.

i'm not sure what a poor restroom facility is but seems no one had problems when i went to see tony bennett a month or so ago. The concert was great and during the concert tony commented on the acoustics. he loved them so much that he had them turn off the audio system and do a song without amplification.

Edited by musicman

i disagree. in the 90's all accomodations were made ADA compliant. 1994 through 2000 saw improvements including a new orchestra shell, audio system, HVAC systems replacement among other incremental improvements.

i'm not sure what a poor restroom facility is but seems no one had problems when i went to see tony bennett a month or so ago. The concert was great and during the concert tony commented on the acoustics. he loved them so much that he had them turn off the audio system and do a song without amplification.

There are severe dead zones with the acoustics. Especially for the seats under the loge section.

Restrooms are hidden in the basement and require a fulltime guide to be posted to help folks find them. And if you have a hard time doing stairs it is very difficult.

There are severe dead zones with the acoustics. Especially for the seats under the loge section.

Restrooms are hidden in the basement and require a fulltime guide to be posted to help folks find them. And if you have a hard time doing stairs it is very difficult.

when an 80+ yr old man sings without amplification and you can hear him clearly.....doesn't sound dead to me.

if someone can't find the restroom or climb stairs....i'll bet they must dread the task of finding their vehicle upon leaving.

this reviewer sure likes it.

Edited by musicman

when an 80+ yr old man sings without amplification and you can hear him clearly.....doesn't sound dead to me.

if someone can't find the restroom or climb stairs....i'll bet they must dread the task of finding their vehicle upon leaving.

this reviewer sure likes it.

From the Houston Symphony Mission Statement

"Develop a more intimate and acoustically superior orchestral concert hall and music center"

From the Houston Symphony Mission Statement

"Develop a more intimate and acoustically superior orchestral concert hall and music center"

if THEY can afford it great. if they were in a facility where nothing has been done, i could understand. But money has been spent to hire acoustic architects for the renovation.

Houston Symphony Society President Ed Wulfe noted,

To answer your question, no, I hope they don't replace it. However, as musicman suggested, if the patrons of the arts are willing to pony up the big bucks for a world class symphony hall, I'll support their efforts. I'm just not sure where they'd put it without tearing down Jones. And, I really don't want to see that happen. It is a great building.

In the late 1990s the lines for the women's restrooms would become extremely long during intermission. It got to the point where the men's restrooms were closed off to let the women use it so they wouldn't miss the start of the second act. This was usually for Broadway performances because it tended to draw more people than most other shows.

To answer your question, no, I hope they don't replace it. However, as musicman suggested, if the patrons of the arts are willing to pony up the big bucks for a world class symphony hall, I'll support their efforts. I'm just not sure where they'd put it without tearing down Jones. And, I really don't want to see that happen. It is a great building.

It is a grand old building and I love the exterior of it. I have gone to quite a few performances there and I have to admit it has been with mixed results. I've sat near the front, but I've also sat in the cheap seats and there's definately a difference in the quality of the music that comes out.

I haven't heard any clients mention any shortcomings of the backstage, but they all seem to enjoy playing that venue.

*IF* they plan on replacing Jones Hall, It would be interesting to see how it be done at the same location (which would be Ideal).

jones hall is classic. i would be adamantly opposed to tearing it down. k.d.lang with the houston symphony was amazing. i've enjoyed many events here. the event i enjoyed least was "the lion king". i do not think jones hall is a great place for shows of that magnitude. if the money in town should want a world class venue for the symphony, then by all means, put it where the downtown post office is. imo, this would be the perfect location for a piece of world class architecture.

I love Jones Hall and have always admired the architecture. Realistically, though, at some point it will outlive its lifespan. Bathrooms, backstage, etc. are cramped.

However, as musicman suggested, if the patrons of the arts are willing to pony up the big bucks for a world class symphony hall, I'll support their efforts.

When it is time to replace Jones Hall, I don't think patrons of the arts should pay for it. A new facility should be paid for out of public funds, as was done for the new stadiums.

There are restrooms on upper levels as well. They are not all in the basement. I've personally never witnessed a full-time guide directing people to the restrooms.

• Like 1

We had a perfect view of the long drawn out remodeling several years ago. The scaffolding was the ever pathetic eyesore which seemed permanent. We thought it would never end.

If you recall articles at the time, the panels were falling off from the building. Yikes! We always had our townhall meetings when it was finally completed but it still looked like and sounded like 1966 to me.

It must be hellish for those that get stuck having to sit in the middle of the center rows. If anyone needs to get up and go to the RR during a show, it must aggravate (curse under your breath) everyone to your left or right as they have to move back or stand for you to pass. Oy vey!

This place is too out-dated. Off with it's head! :lol:

It would be a real shame to lose Jones Hall, not only architecturally but also historically. It's a really good symbol of the city's maturation as an arts center in the sixties. To address some of the comments in this thread:

Continental seating (with no center aisle) is a way to bring more seats closer to the stage. Code requires that the cross aisles be somewhat wider, but the seats that would be lost to an aisle would have to be farther back if you are going to have the same seating count.

The venue's acoustical failings are basically due to two issues (maybe three): a) it's too big B) it's a multipurpose space c) the fabrics are sort of plush and therefore absorptive. Additionally, the fan shape, while desirable for sightlines, is less favorable for classical music.

My good friend Larry Kirkegaard of Kirkegaard and Associates, probably the finest acoustician in the world, did substantial work on Jones Hall in the Eschenbach years, making a noticeable improvement. One of his most obvious suggestions was to use the movable ceiling to close off the upper balcony, reducing the seating and the interior volume. Jones Hall seats about 3000, which is a concession to its multipurpose origin. Only the Cincinnati Symphony plays in a larger venue. (Municipal Auditorium) Most other purpose-built orchestra halls seat about 2000. Purpose built orchestra halls tend to have built in shell ceilings and walls and tend to be rectangular in shape (like mine, Stude Concert Hall at Rice.)

If the HSO ever gets their own hall, it should be somewhere other than the site of Jones Hall. Jones Hall is way too valuable for touring shows, SPA, etc. and an orchestra hall wouldn't accomodate those very well.

I'll probably write more later. I have to go run a performance venue now :)

I find it ironic that some people on this forum dub Houston the "tear down capital of the world" yet advocate tearing down Jones Hall. I agree that the facility is outdated with poor restroom facilities. I much prefer Hobby over Jones. But we need to be more mindful of our aging buildings. This mentality tore down the gems of the past. All buildings age. Jones is architecturally significant and, in my opinion, should be preserved.

I find it ironic that some people on this forum dub Houston the "tear down capital of the world" yet advocate tearing down Jones Hall. I agree that the facility is outdated with poor restroom facilities. I much prefer Hobby over Jones. But we need to be more mindful of our aging buildings. This mentality tore down the gems of the past. All buildings age. Jones is architecturally significant and, in my opinion, should be preserved.

I agree. But I don't recall anyone saying that Jones Hall should be torn down. I only suggested that a better hall may need to be built.

To reiterate. I am a firm believer in historical preservation. My idea of "historical" are the turn of the century relics we ridded this city of way before we were born. Victorian homes, etc.

I remember going on a field trip to see the Nutcracker in 1966 when Jones Hall had just opened it's doors. To us kids it was as modern 60's as you could get. That was 40 years ago. I remember falling asleep in those seats with most of the other kiddies.

If this place was built in 1866 yes, I would be up in arms. Just think in another 20 years it will look far more dated than ever. Ok, lets save it and keep patching it up. $$$ :lol:

Jones Hall is the only theatre its size in Houston. It seats 2,911. Sarofim Hall is close at 2,650, Brown Theatre in Wortham seats 2,255 max. It is unfortunate that the restroom locations and numbers are from an earlier era, though remodeling has helped. Still, I see long lines for the women's restrooms at all the larger, newer, venues in the city. Mine, too. I'm not sure there's any way around it.

What would a better hall for the Houston Symphony look like? I've already touched on the shape and size in my previous post. Ideally there would be more storage space (the HSO rents a warehouse now) and better loading dock access. A pipe organ would be nice, and possibly seating behind the stage for a chorus. Maybe wider variability of acoustics. Aside from that, I can't add very much.

Jones Hall is the only theatre its size in Houston. It seats 2,911. Sarofim Hall is close at 2,650, Brown Theatre in Wortham seats 2,255 max. It is unfortunate that the restroom locations and numbers are from an earlier era, though remodeling has helped. Still, I see long lines for the women's restrooms at all the larger, newer, venues in the city. Mine, too. I'm not sure there's any way around it.

What would a better hall for the Houston Symphony look like? I've already touched on the shape and size in my previous post. Ideally there would be more storage space (the HSO rents a warehouse now) and better loading dock access. A pipe organ would be nice, and possibly seating behind the stage for a chorus. Maybe wider variability of acoustics. Aside from that, I can't add very much.

How about a modernized replica of Boston's Symphony Hall.

As for the location. I can hear the flamers now. How about tearing down that ugly Federal Courthouse and put it there. Move the Feds to the courthouse district and get rid of that piece of Soviet architecture.

Edited by gto250us

i work right next to jones hall in pennzoil tower and on the exterior, i love jones hall. clean lines, and just fits in the block very nicely. as for the inside, i have to admit, its been a while since i've been in there - stomp maybe 10 years ago? so my opinion probably doesn't matter, but i would prefer that if there were a way to make it more updated on the inside, i would love to see it stay.

I was at a performance this week. I've always liked Jones Hall, however the bathrooms need some serious work. They're in the dungeon and the staircase to get to them was elbow to elbow and once there, I encountered not only a lovely raw sewage smell, but a line for the guys restroom just so I could enjoy the odor that much longer. I have been to Jones many times and have never been in an acoustic dead zone, in fact I've always been amazed at how crisp the sound is in there. Keep Jones, update the restrooms.

To reiterate. I am a firm believer in historical preservation. My idea of "historical" are the turn of the century relics we ridded this city of way before we were born. Victorian homes, etc.

I remember going on a field trip to see the Nutcracker in 1966 when Jones Hall had just opened it's doors. To us kids it was as modern 60's as you could get. That was 40 years ago. I remember falling asleep in those seats with most of the other kiddies.

If this place was built in 1866 yes, I would be up in arms. Just think in another 20 years it will look far more dated than ever. Ok, lets save it and keep patching it up. $$$ :lol:

Using your theory, nothing would ever reach the age of being "historical". If everything is torn down at 40 years, there can never be a "turn of the century relic" that survives. The most dangerous period for a structure is that period when the structure is no longer new, but has yet to age enough to become "historic". The time when it is merely old. No matter how many times you reiterate your "firm belief" in historical preservation, to advocate demolision of architecturally significant structures such as Jones Hall, just because they appear "outdated" to you (I strongly disagree with this opinion as well), belies your stated "firm belief in historical preservation".

Frankly, you appear to advocate preserving one structure and one structure only...100 year old Victorians...to the exclusion of all others. I don't know what to call that, but I would not call it historical preservation. An 'Addams Family' fetish perhaps, but not historical preservation.

The most dangerous period for a structure is that period when the structure is no longer new, but has yet to age enough to become "historic". The time when it is merely old.

Yeah, like the Music Hall! :) That's a sad example of a structure that truly was outdated in many significant ways in terms of both audience amenities and production facilities. I always hated everything about the Music Hall except: the view from the audience, the view of downtown from the lobby, and the art deco exterior from a distance. And Hobby Center, however you may feel about its facade, works much better as a theatre venue for today's shows.