Drywall Question

Philliper

I am buying a house in Inwood Forest, and the walls have this pointy texture on them. In areas, if I backed myself against the wall, I would perforate myself. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could fix this myself easily? Someone suggested that I might be able to wet the wall with water using a spray bottle...then scrape it off. Just wanted to have some advice/opinions. Thanks

sounds like the 70's blown on texture (popcorn), i would just use a broom and sweep it off but i'm not sure about the resulting aesthetics. i doubt water would be needed if my visual is correct.

well, I think its worse then popcorn...this is like long sharp, pointy texturing.

Drywall mud is typically the basis for most textures, and it is water soluble. Problem is, the paint on top isn't water soluble. So....you're going to have to get rid of the paint, and then you can get it wet and scrape it.

Alternatively, you can just scrape like hell to get it mostly leveled out (arduous, messy process), and then texture over it again. If you want it perfectly smooth for say...wallpaper, then you'd have to scrape, then sand.

Drywall mud is typically the basis for most textures, and it is water soluble. Problem is, the paint on top isn't water soluble. So....you're going to have to get rid of the paint, and then you can get it wet and scrape it.

Alternatively, you can just scrape like hell to get it mostly leveled out (arduous, messy process), and then texture over it again. If you want it perfectly smooth for say...wallpaper, then you'd have to scrape, then sand.

Ahh..didn't even think about the paint on the wall. I was thinking of going with more of a orange peel look I guess so...looks like I will be scraping. Thanks for your advice

I remember seeing a product at Home Depot that you sprayed on your wall (ceiling in the photo) and it sat for a while, allowing you to use a metal spatula to scrape it off. I even think the bottle had a picture of a woman doing the work, obviously implying that the product made the job easy :P

Sorry I don't have more info, as this was several years ago.

Archived