http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3737049.html

Check dis out. Philly's gonna be homt to the next MLS team, and it will be in three years. What caught my eye about this is the stadium plan they are druming up, especially the fact that it would be part of a $1 billion dollar project. I don't think Houston could pull off a billion dollar suburb project with a sucessful soccer stadium, but I do think it could be done if located near Reliant/Downtown. Possibly even the Hardy Rail project or a brand new project at old Chinatown (a project there is needed, anyway.) Curious if anyone feels the same way.

Yeah, I saw that and found it a little surprising. This is a good bit away from Center City Philadelphia, probably on the very edge of the metro area, and getting there will require Pennsylvanians to fight bridge traffic to get to Jersey. I hope they do well, but at first glance the location seems to work against them. That being said, it makes sense to get a private developer to build the stadium as part of the overall billion dollar development, and there's no reason that approach couldn't work here as well. Notice they are leaving the door open and saying some public money might still be needed.

My other thought was that MLS is trying to expand too fast. I know markets like Philadelphia are attractive, but the league has already had to contract once. You would think they would be hesitant about continued expansion plans.

Yeah, I saw that and found it a little surprising. This is a good bit away from Center City Philadelphia, probably on the very edge of the metro area, and getting there will require Pennsylvanians to fight bridge traffic to get to Jersey. I hope they do well, but at first glance the location seems to work against them. That being said, it makes sense to get a private developer to build the stadium as part of the overall billion dollar development, and there's no reason that approach couldn't work here as well. Notice they are leaving the door open and saying some public money might still be needed.

My other thought was that MLS is trying to expand too fast. I know markets like Philadelphia are attractive, but the league has already had to contract once. You would think they would be hesitant about continued expansion plans.

MLS is trying to develop a league that's taken as seriously in America as NHL, MLS, MLB, and the NBA, and it's hard to do that with 12 teams when the other leagues have at least 30. The goal is to expand the current markets, then add markets after that. Philly, Seattle, Rochester NY, Toronto, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, are just a few that have made a public fuss that they want a team (I think Seattle will be next after Philly). If San Antonio gets serious again, they could have the next team. But until MLS has at least 28 teams, I wouldn't expect MLS to stop talking about expansion.

Well, I'm not sure they want to be taken as seriously as the NHL! :lol:

Seriously, I just don't think the demand is there for a lot of expansion. Even in the current 12-team league Kansas City is barely making it, and Dallas I believe was marginal for a few years. I just don't think there's a big need to try to match other leagues in the number of teams to be taken seriously. Remember, there's an argument that MLB has over-expanded, and their games draw a LOT more than MLS.

Is that old Astroworld site feasible?

I never actually thought of that. A stadium could easily fit in that site, with a rail station next to it, should be easy to get there if you do not park in the Reliant Stadium parking lot. Also, the walkway could be covered. There might even be some room left over for some urban shops along Fannin.

I never actually thought of that. A stadium could easily fit in that site, with a rail station next to it, should be easy to get there if you do not park in the Reliant Stadium parking lot. Also, the walkway could be covered. There might even be some room left over for some urban shops along Fannin.

The former Astroworld site would be a great place for a location. Parking's already there, original light rail's there, and it's a central location because of Reliant Park. I think the site would work better though as a huge residential and retail site with a stadium in the middle. Could benefit the whole Reliant area; it could use a Hardy Rails or Houston Pavillions-type project, and the stadium would be a hot commodity in a place like that.

That being said, I think it's impossible for only a stadium of any league to get that location, because the land costs are high, and I think there's a secret bidding war on it. I don't think the team would want to see the money for the stadium go for a world-class place rather than spend a high amount of those funds on the land. Only way MLS could be located there is if the land were donated by a developer looking for a revenue-maker within a much bigger project, and that project would benefit Houston ten-fold.

The former Astroworld site would be a great place for a location. Parking's already there, original light rail's there, and it's a central location because of Reliant Park. I think the site would work better though as a huge residential and retail site with a stadium in the middle. Could benefit the whole Reliant area; it could use a Hardy Rails or Houston Pavillions-type project, and the stadium would be a hot commodity in a place like that.

That being said, I think it's impossible for only a stadium of any league to get that location, because the land costs are high, and I think there's a secret bidding war on it. I don't think the team would want to see the money for the stadium go for a world-class place rather than spend a high amount of those funds on the land. Only way MLS could be located there is if the land were donated by a developer looking for a revenue-maker within a much bigger project, and that project would benefit Houston ten-fold.

Good points. I wonder if a soccer field would really be a moneymaker. One approach that MLS likes is what they did in Dallas (actually Frisco). Pizza Hut Park has a lot of practice fields adjacent to the stadium that can be used by other local teams. Rather than just have a soccer pitch, it is meant to be sort of a regional soccer/entertainment center. If that is the direction the Dynamos take here, then Reliant might not be optimal because of the relative lack of nearby residential. From that viewpoint, the Delmar location might be better, although it lacks light rail access.

From that viewpoint, the Delmar location might be better, although it lacks light rail access.

Delmar is located next to the Northwest Transit center, which will be served by the Uptown BRT. Long range plans call for both commuter rail access and LRT from downtown by way of Washington or 7th Street.

OK, folks.

The land was "too valuable" (according to Six Flags) to support an amusement park.

Do you REALLY think a podunk soccer stadium could make it here?

Not if only a stadium were there. But if a huge development were in place there that INCLUDED a world-class stadium there....

the team looked good, i watched them on FSN. good ball movement and spacing, especially when it came to killing time at the end of the game. overall i was pleased with the way the team played together and look forward to the rest of the season

It was just game one, but I was surprised it was 25K. I'll be curious to see if people keep coming back and also if they can sort out the concession and parking problems. Hopefully it won't keep people away, but when something is new, people can be really fickle.

...Reliant might not be optimal because of the relative lack of nearby residential. From that viewpoint, the Delmar location might be better, although it lacks light rail access.

Delmar is where 290 merges into 610. It is about 1 1/4 miles north of the NW transit center. There is ample access and future access will include links to LRT.

B)

i read an article in the UH Paper, looks like they're expecting Dynamo to stick around for several years

MLS worked out a deal with the University, providing the athletic department $1.7 million for the next three years to improve the facilities for the Dynamo, which includes improving the fields, installing a better lighting system and possibly adding some bleachers and a new video board.

"We have granted their request to make a home for them here," athletic director David Maggard said. "They essentially practice here and they will be playing here. This is a great venue and I would think this is a place they would want to be for a very long time."

the daily cougar

Yeah, I agree. It makes sense to let the team get established before investing in a new facility. Besides, Robertson doesn't seem like a bad location.

FINALLY saw Dynamo highlights here in Korea. Houston, looking good:) . I hope they're able to retain at least a 25,000+ attendance this season, but only time will tell. Robertson Stadium loked pretty damn scenic! The seat colors, palm trees, and fanz made the atmosphere stand out. I think Dynamo has a bright future.

yeah its nice getting a new team that isnt an expansion team...but i think robertson should host the Dynamo for a few years then we can decide if we need another stadium or if we should keep robertson the home stadium...the grass was in emaculate condition BTW

Robertson Stadium is the PERFECT venue long term for the Dynamo.

The stadium has a great setting with easy access to I-45, a downtown backdrop, and just a cool feel inside. There isn't a bad seat in the house and I dig the red seats and palm trees in the corner.

Further enhancements could serve the Dynamo and UH well.