i just swing by academy on the way to campus. the one on edgebrook and gulf has about 10 shirts left, all size L and XL i think.

it says Houston and 1836 underneath, and has the logo on the top. on the back is a cool looking soccer ball design, adidas.

we'll see if i get any looks next week at the Mexico match. i doubt anyone will care.

It's a soccer team name GET OVER IT!!!!!!

I think all this BOOO HOOO crap about why the name was changed is just that Crap.

Everyone getting all emotional about A NAME! Where are your prioities... IT WAS A CRAP NAME y'all and the media should stop using a group as a scape goat. I think that everyone jumping on the bash the minority bandwagon are just using this topic to expose the truth. That they are just Eurocentric, intolerate bigots.

PERIOD.

If this applies to you GET A LIFE

You seriously need to get over US!

Regardless of the new name, I am proud that once again we will get to finance a future stadium for millionaire and/or billionaire sports team owners.

I care more about the new stadium than I do the name. If it's just the same style soccer stadium as everyone else in America, I'm not so sure I'd support the team anymore. We should set the standard, not follow it.

Regardless if it's Houston 1836 or not, the team's full of mad talent. I just don't understand how 1836 was an offensive year

skwatra, I just now got the exact same reply as you from Olivia Luck.

<_<

It was a form type respones, but I emailed back about the 'meeting' and received a true response.

Luck met with a few different fans yesterday and the dicussions went along these lines:

-politics wasn't as large of a contributer as sponsorship pressure...(Univision, Taq.Arandas being the only two known by me. But I'm sure there was political involvement WITH those sponsors)...especially Univision)

-Sponsorship conversations were focusing more on the name than what the sponsorship would do for the company

-Colors stay...not so sure if the logo will stay.

-not gonna be a spanish name..ie Gato's or Toro's

-If it is LoneStar, it won't have and (S) after it.

-He doesn't like the change anymore than we do. He wanted to give it a year but as time went on it became clear that it was going to be an issue the entire season

-He's taking his fill of Guinness these days ;)

I care more about the new stadium than I do the name. If it's just the same style soccer stadium as everyone else in America, I'm not so sure I'd support the team anymore. We should set the standard, not follow it.

Regardless if it's Houston 1836 or not, the team's full of mad talent. I just don't understand how 1836 was an offensive year

Greetings DJ....

Can't you just imagine? "1836" had to be the MOST OFFENSIVE YEAR TO DATE! Especially if you are General Santa Anna and his renowned army of sleepyheads.......

Hey great pal, if I were you I would not be to overly concerned regarding the prospective MLS stadium.......simply because we all know that it will eventually come down to sponsorship, which in the very end means $MONEY$. I am most certain that after this preposterous naming flap, that Oliver Luck is going to do everything that he possibly can to insure that the new Houston franchise will have a first rate as well as very innovative facility. For can you just imagine the overall embarrassment throughout MLS that this naming situation is costing him.......

My only hope is that it is built downtown or in the midtown regions of Houston, so that the best fans(who very often may not have a lot of money) will indeed have instant access via light rail/public transportation etc...

Metropolitantexan

Edited by Metropolitantexan

Greetings DJ....

.....can't you just imagine? .....for "1836" had to be the MOST OFFENSIVE OF YEAR TO DATE! Especially if you are General Santa Anna and his army of sleepyheads.......

Hey great pal, if I were you I would not be to overly concerned regarding the prospective MLS stadium.......simply because we all know that it will eventually come down to sponsorship, which in the very end means $MONEY$. I am most certain that after this preposterous naming flap, that Oliver Luck is going to do everything that he possibly can to insure that the new Houston franchise will have a first rate as well as very innovative facility. For can you just imagine the overall embarrassment throughout MLS that this naming situation is costing him.......

My only hope is that it is built downtown or in the midtown regions of Houston, so that the best fans(who very often may not have a lot of money) will indeed have instant access via light rail/public transportation etc...

Metropolitantexan

By the way, Oliver Luck is a class act.

Sup MTX?!

I do believe that because our soccer team president Oliver Luck is a Houstonian, it may be a promising sign that he's go for the absolute best stadium package possible for his community. What I worry about for his sake is exactly how much control he would have in that aspect. There's so many variables:

1) Will it be AEG or another owner helping to privately finance soccer team's share of the stadium

2) How much will the City of Houston support the team financially, or what will the city donate

3) Can we find a huge corporate sponsor, or will we have to settle with a smaller business or city organization

4) THEN, the location (which I hope is downtown)

I hope for Luck's sake that this 1836 naming situation ends quickly so the club can focus on making a huge fanbase for the team, then afterwards build a 40,000 seat stadium that's packed every night and practical because people really are supporting the team that much. I can see that happening if the franchise is able to sell out Robertson Stadium on a regular basis and make it energetic and fun as it is in other places like many Latin American or European places. I hope to god it's built in or across the highway from Downtown/Midtown.

I have an idea. Houston 1836's soccer name may not last, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Houston was founded in 1836, and we are proud Houstonians. I say we never forget 1836. Oliver Luck and the team may be in a complicated situation because of corporate sponsors and a few opponents here and there, but we don't have to worry about sponsorship. When I get back to H-Town, I'ma make me a custom 1836 jersey. And I'll suport the team no matter what :)

Geez. They already changed the name of the team for them. Now lets make sure they can get there via public transportation.

Maybe we should just give them limo rides to the game instead.

I think MTX was referring to people that aren't filthy rich and prefer getting to the games via public transportation. Who exactly are you referring to as "them"? I think MTX is 100% right about transportation being a major factor.

America used to be a melting pot. Now it is a bunch of groups that hate America for one reason or another.

This is another example of the overly sensitive, pansification of America, PC times we live in. United States is not seen as a community of individuals, but as an array of groups, each whose demands must be met, often to the detriment of another group.

If Mexican Americans are offended at this... Why are they here?

This is so ridiculous that we have to pander to groups that raise a stink like this. If they are offended about this, then they have conflicting national allegiances and need to leave. Texas Won. America won. Mexico lost. Period. Texans should not have to feel ashamed at history.... If you live here now, You are Texan and you are American... totally independant of your ethnic origins.

Why is it some ethnic groups can't balance who they are now with who they were? In a country as diverse as ours, we will always have race problems because certain ethnicities refuse to be color blind.

Our country has forever shifted from melting pot of peoples to multi-cultural mosaic.. and we will forever have problems like this.

I am Italian American. I'n very proud of my Sicilian heritage.

I do not get upset at the thought of some of my ancestors fighting on the wrong side of history during WW II. Im proud to be Italian. I'm even more proud to be American and Texan.

Whats worse is not that the Mexican American community is bitching. It's that MLS and the team owners will give in, all becasue of the hispanice fan base here. What.. us White people and Yellow people and Black people aren't soccer fans in Houston? How many other MLS team cities have to worry bout their hispanic fan base? Soccer is not a hispanic sport. It is a world sport.

The Chicago Fire. Another great MLS team name marking an important event in that cities history. Tragic event.. yes. But an event that forever transformed Chicago and led it to become the great city it is today.. YES !

Chicago is not ashamed of its history. Texans should nto be ashamed of ours either.

What is next? Are we going to have to change the name of our great city because Mexican Americans are offended at living in a city named for the hero of the Texas Independence ?

America used to be a melting pot. Now it is a bunch of groups that hate America for one reason or another.

This is another example of the overly sensitive, pansification of America, PC times we live in. United States is not seen as a community of individuals, but as an array of groups, each whose demands must be met, often to the detriment of another group.

If Mexican Americans are offended at this... Why are they here?

This is so ridiculous that we have to pander to groups that raise a stink like this. If they are offended about this, then they have conflicting national allegiances and need to leave. Texas Won. America won. Mexico lost. Period. Texans should not have to feel ashamed at history.... If you live here now, You are Texan and you are American... totally independant of your ethnic origins.

Why is it some ethnic groups can't balance who they are now with who they were? In a country as diverse as ours, we will always have race problems because certain ethnicities refuse to be color blind.

Our country has forever shifted from melting pot of peoples to multi-cultural mosaic.. and we will forever have problems like this.

I am Italian American. I'n very proud of my Sicilian heritage.

I do not get upset at the thought of some of my ancestors fighting on the wrong side of history during WW II. Im proud to be Italian. I'm even more proud to be American and Texan.

Whats worse is not that the Mexican American community is bitching. It's that MLS and the team owners will give in, all becasue of the hispanice fan base here. What.. us White people and Yellow people and Black people aren't soccer fans in Houston? How many other MLS team cities have to worry bout their hispanic fan base? Soccer is not a hispanic sport. It is a world sport.

The Chicago Fire. Another great MLS team name marking an important event in that cities history. Tragic event.. yes. But an event that forever transformed Chicago and led it to become the great city it is today.. YES !

Chicago is not ashamed of its history. Texans should nto be ashamed of ours either.

What is next? Are we going to have to change the name of our great city because Mexican Americans are offended at living in a city named for the hero of the Texas Independence ?

I see your fustration about not respecting Texas history, but for one, please remember that it's not ALL of one community that opposed and protesting the name. Just a select few. I didn't even know there was any public outcry for a name change until I read in the Chronicle that the team was changing it. From what I understand, the MLS wants the soccer team name that NOBODY protests. It's not the first time this has happened. Washington Bullets: offended and protested by non-violent advocates. Now the Washington Wizards. Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, and Washington Redskins still get protested by Native Americans due to sensitivity issues. But those teams have been in their home cities for over 40 years. Houston 1836 just moved to Houston a few months ago, and does not any kind of negative image because of it's name. And they (and we) didn't realize that people out there would be offended by Houston's history, but apparantly some are. If you get mad at anyone, please be mad at the people offended, and not the entire MLS, or the entire Mexican American community. It's not their fault. It's the extremists, yo.

I'm Jamaican-American. I LOVE the Jamaican national soccer team, United States soccer team, Korean soccer team, and Mexican soccer team, because I've lived in all four places at one point. I'll root for all four (and Trinidad, 'cause I'm Carribean) at the World Cup, but if I go for just one, I gotta cheer for America first. (I think Germany will win)

Highway6, who will you root for this year?

I truly don't know. I thought this team was for the city.

Now I feel like it's being customized for a certain demographic.

From a marketing perspective, it's pretty darn smart.

MidtownCoog, we're in the same boat that having a target audience in one demographic would suck, but I'd say if that really is the case, the team would not last 2 seasons. According to them, their idea is not to cater to a demographic, but to not anger anyone with their name. Lets see where they build the stadium, then we'll know if they want the team to cater to the Gulfgate area, to high school kids, or to the City of Houston.

I see your fustration about not respecting Texas history, but for one, please remember that it's not ALL of one community that opposed and protesting the name. Just a select few. I didn't even know there was any public outcry for a name change until I read in the Chronicle that the team was changing it. From what I understand, the MLS wants the soccer team name that NOBODY protests. It's not the first time this has happened. Washington Bullets: offended and protested by non-violent advocates. Now the Washington Wizards. Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, and Washington Redskins still get protested by Native Americans due to sensitivity issues. But those teams have been in their home cities for over 40 years. Houston 1836 just moved to Houston a few months ago, and does not any kind of negative image because of it's name. And they (and we) didn't realize that people out there would be offended by Houston's history, but apparantly some are. If you get mad at anyone, please be mad at the people offended, and not the entire MLS, or the entire Mexican American community. It's not their fault. It's the extremists, yo.

I'm Jamaican-American. I LOVE the Jamaican national soccer team, United States soccer team, Korean soccer team, and Mexican soccer team, because I've lived in all four places at one point. I'll root for all four (and Trinidad, 'cause I'm Carribean) at the World Cup, but if I go for just one, I gotta cheer for America first. (I think Germany will win)

Highway6, who will you root for this year?

My frustration is not with MLS.. it is with the owner of our team that is giving in to one part of his fan base to the detriment of the whole fan base.

My frustration is not with the entire Mexican-American community... it is with those in that community that put the Mexican part before the American part.

I actually am not a soccer fan... yet.

Same with hockey.

As a guy that has lived in Houston most his life, I've never had the local exposure to either.

I root for US and Italian teams in the olympics for hockey or whatever other sport is going on. If its Italians vs Americans, I root for the American team to demolish the Italian team.

Same holds true for World Cup soccer.

I have always seen soccer just as much as a European sport as Hispanic sport.

As a sports fan, my first love with always be Astros baseball and Aggie football, I do however love the fact that Houston is getting a MLS team, and look forward to going to games and learning the sport.

As a Houston and Texas fan, I was even more hooked on the idea of of soccer coming to Houston when the name Houston 1836 was released... becasue I take pride in being a Houstonian and Texan.

I would not be a Houstonian or Texan had we not won our independence from Mexico.

Also... remember this. Just prior to Texas earning its independence from Mexico, Mexico earned its independence from Spain. They did not hold on to being Mexican Spaniards, or New World Spaniards.. They were Mexicans.

Same should be true for all Texans, no matter what ones ethnic heritage is.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why the Mexicans are getting mad about 1836, I mean this is the United States not Mexico and they are living here not there. Why shouldn't we be proud of 1836, If Texas would have never won its independence from Mexico, Texas would not be apart of The United States right now and we would be apart of a third world country. Now tell me agian why should Houston bow down to the Mexicans and give up the name 1836?

Guys,

forgive my violent attitude, but if I have to deal with anymore of this politically correct crap, I'm gunna start swinging. This is an example of catering to the few instead of the majority. Virtually every person I've talked with about this stupid, stupid decision, either laughs, or shakes there head in disgust. And no, I'm not talking about just white Dems or Reps.

This issue is a microcosim of the contiued growth of the politically correct cowards catering to the select few. Someone please stop the insanity! :angry2:

Guys,

forgive my violent attitude, but if I have to deal with anymore of this politically correct crap, I'm gunna start swinging. This is an example of catering to the few instead of the majority. Virtually every person I've talked with about this stupid, stupid decision, either laughs, or shakes there head in disgust. And no, I'm not talking about just white Dems or Reps.

This issue is a microcosim of the contiued growth of the politically correct cowards catering to the select few. Someone please stop the insanity! :angry2:

nmainguy gently restrains Gary and offers him the sedative of his choice [and agrees with him 100%]

B)

They should take a survey (a real one - not some web site poll) of hispanics who *actually* attend or are thinking of attending soccer games in Houston and see if they're offended. No one cares what some self-nominated racial representative guy thinks.

It's not racial-it's ethnic. Most Hispanics in Houston are Caucasian.

I think of you like soccer, you'll just go ahead and go. I'd go if they called them the "Santa Anna's"-which to me is just as lame and unimaginative as 1836.

I don't see any boycott on the horizon.

B)

Edited by nmainguy

Just shows where Garcia's loyalties lie. I think it's a sad state of affairs. You would think a Mexican-American demographic would appreciate what 1836 means. I'm quite sure Texas would be a different place today had it not been for the events that happened that year, and Ms. Garcia would no doubt be rolling tortillas somewhere in Chihuahua.

Edited by Parrothead

It's not racial-it's ethnic. Most Hispanics in Houston are Caucasian.

I think of you like soccer, you'll just go ahead and go. I'd go if they called them the "Santa Anna's"-which to me is just as lame and unimaginative as 1836.

I don't see any boycott on the horizon.

B)

Excuse me...this has taken me by surprise....since when did people of Hispanic descent become Caucasian? Last time I checked on the Census questionaire, the options to check were CAUCASIAN, NOT OF HISPANIC DESCENT and then just plain CAUCASIAN.

So where did that statement come from?

Does that mean that most African-Americans in Houston are Italian or Irish?

Excuse me...this has taken me by surprise....since when did people of Hispanic descent become Caucasian? Last time I checked on the Census questionaire, the options to check were CAUCASIAN, NOT OF HISPANIC DESCENT and then just plain CAUCASIAN.

So where did that statement come from?

Does that mean that most African-Americans in Houston are Italian or Irish?

You think YOU'RE surprised??? OH MY GOD!!! There are new races no one told me about???? Most Hispanics are...their own race???

And those with some Irish and Italian ancestors are African-Americans???

I am shocked!!!!!! I'm glad you straightened me out, Kenny. Now I know there must be HUNDREDS of new races no one knew about but you. Alert the census. I'm thinking you're up for a Nobel!!!!:D

B)

BTW, from http://www.census.gov/population/www/socde...racefactcb.html :

The most profound change to the question on race for Census 2000 is that respondents are allowed to identify one or more races to indicate their racial identity. There are 15 check box response categories and 3 write-in areas on the Census 2000 questionnaire...

By those standards, I'm thinking any name for the soccer team is going to insult this Irish, Canadian, Mohawkan, French, German, Swiss "white" guy. I'm voting for the Houston Humans...that way even the dimmest bulb in the lamp won't have to actually READ a book to figure out what a race is or not.

:wacko:

By those standards, I'm thinking any name for the soccer team is going to insult this Irish, Canadian, Mohawkan, French, German, Swiss "white" guy. I'm voting for the Houston Humans...that way even the dimmest bulb in the lamp won't have to actually READ a book to figure out what a race is or not.

:wacko:

You have to take out the word Houston. It's the name of the dude that won that San Jacinto battle. Perhaps we should change the name of our hometown because of what the name represents :wacko:

...Just stick with the Humans. Or Human League if you wanna name them after a kick@$$ '80's band. "I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar..." doesn't ring a bell? My bad. (nmainguy deducts 5 points from djvlawrence's credit) ^_^

Edited by DJ V Lawrence