Seems to me that if Houston's large ethnic-Mexican audiences were really that concerned about naming issues, then they wouldn't live in Houston. After all, what could possibly be more insulting than living in the very city which was named after the general that defeated their beloved leader?

Perhaps Houston should just change its name completely. In an attempt not to offend anyone, we should rename our whole city. Lets see, calling it just "City" would be ok, but that's English, and might be hard to learn if you don't speak English, so that's a no-go. Remember, we've got to be culturally-sensitive at any and all costs...because that is the mark of an advanced society.

How about "1837", the year of our founding? No, founding wouldn't have taken place without the revolution. What happened in 1837 was a consequence of the revolution, and that is bad. So how about "2006", the year of our city's renaming? No, 2006 is the year in which the idea of naming the team "1836" was floated, and that had the effect of insulting a fringe minority of people, and that is bad.

So how about just calling it "9"? Its a number that has absolutely nothing to do with either "1836" or 1837", and also isn't part of numbers leading up to 1835, when the revolution began in earnest, so who could possibly complain? Oh, that's right, Russian communists used to name new cities founded in Siberia numerically. Surely there is a "9" somewhere, and since communists slaughtered more people than Hitler, that's bad...or is it? Some of those numerically-named Russian cities are the most polluted on earth. Houston could capitalize on the public misperceptions of it being intolerablly polluted and associate it with those same Russian cities. And the best thing of all is that no one can direct any civic pride toward it...that would be bad because pride makes people feel really good, and that might offend off-kilter religious groups, whose opinions are just as valid as yours or mine. I think we have our new name - "9".

I tried to search the 1836 site for an email link . . . wanted to express my support for the 1836 name (much better, and more unique than the "highschoolish" Mustangs, Appollos, Generals, etc.). I still think Washington D.C.'s name of D.C. United was cool.

Let's try to start a campaign to support the current name . . . anyone know of a link to a site in which we can make our feelings known to the people that will call the shots?

I just bought a tee. Hopefully they send me the real thing, not the new logo.

As soon as mine comes in, I plan to drive down Navigation and chant 1836 at the illegals.

1-877-SHOP-MLS

FYI - Their Web store has bugs in case you want to order one.

Crikey!

They are sold out!

Too bad.We could've had a HAIF-fest, tee shirts on, at Ninfa's.

Texas Independence was in April 1836. Houston's incorporation was in June 1837.

They should've done their homework and picked 1837 instead. Too late now.

I tried to search the 1836 site for an email link . . . wanted to express my support for the 1836 name (much better, and more unique than the "highschoolish" Mustangs, Appollos, Generals, etc.). I still think Washington D.C.'s name of D.C. United was cool.

Let's try to start a campaign to support the current name . . . anyone know of a link to a site in which we can make our feelings known to the people that will call the shots?

Here is the main man, Oliver Luck.

oluck@ houston1836.com

The decision is being pushed by a few houston gvmt officals and sponsors. The ownership group AEG will be making the decision

sylvia_garcia@pct2.co.harris.tx.us (Sylvia Garcia)

districth@cityofhouston.net (Adrian Garcia)

Edited by Markus

Greetings pals....

"HOUSTON MISSION CONTROL"......"MC HOUSTON" This is just one of the potential name ideas that was brought forth from this very website to be introduced to the new MLS team's management as a viable contender for the actual vote........but then we saw that they somehow already had a whole list of very generic sounding names that just were not original in their overall presentation or stature. That is, until we saw the "HOUSTON 1836" moniker......and I was like "wow! that is extremely unique, as well as quite thought provoking".

Then, when the new team's management came forth with the overall finished product....ie name, logo, colors. etc.....I thought BRILLIANT! MAGNIFICENT! .....for when I saw the addition of Sam Houston sitting upon his horse within the star......I could not help but think of HOUSTON......from it's revolutionary beginnings.......to it's glorified path into the future.......

AND NOW THIS! For simple words alone just cannot express the way I feel regarding this mess that they have created with this profound controversy. Silvia Garcia should be "tarred and feathered" for her part in this......talk about "hyper ambition". I was under the impression that Oliver Luck was a solid as well as quite astute individual who actually had a backbone.....WHAT HAPPENED ON THIS FRONT! Surely, he is not going to just sit back, and allow a few minorities to start dictating on what we Americans/Houstonians vote for as our prospective professional team name? ........HOUSTON WILL AGAIN BECOME THE LAUGHINGSTOCK OF THE COUNTRY! .......and to think we wonder why we have such a negative national image......

I for one will surely stand up to the plate and let the world know that I have ALWAYS LOVED THE LATINOS, HISPANICS, MEXICANS, PORTUGESE, get the picture........for I have noticed for quite some time......even when I was an OILERS season ticket holder.....that the Latin community as a whole, just seemed to have an undying passion for their sports as well as their sports teams....... and you just cannot help but feel their passion, as well as appreciate their love for what they patronize......because they do it with a zest for life, spirit, and heart that is almost unmatched.......period!

But as an American/Houstonian, I will also stand up to the plate and ask this community to show a bit more gratitude. For no matter what a few of you may think about our city's new MLS team's name "HOUSTON 1836" ......being able to live and work, as well as constantly migrate into this country by any dangerous/illegal means imaginable.....has allowed for you and your generations to rise above from pre-revolutionary marginalization, to a proud monument of a community that you are today. From losing to General Sam Houston in the war that was.......to now being able to send millions/billions of American dollars home across the borders to feed your families.......I for one would certainly call that the kind of progress that would render a simple name discernment of a new HOUSTON TEXAS team........irrelevant.

Metropolitantexan

Edited by Metropolitantexan

this pisses me off as well. Houston 1836 grew on me, i like the logo, and i like how its different. if we end up with something "Texas" themed that's really going to suck. And shouldn't that offend the Mexicans as well??

you think i can find an 1836 at Academy? If i do i'm going to wear it to the CONCACAF Championship game next week at MMP (Mexico vs Jamaica).

oluck@ houston1836.com

The decision is being pushed by a few houston gvmt officals and sponsors. The ownership group AEG will be making the decision

Thank you for those, Markus. :)

Precinct 2 Commissioner Sylvia Garcia loyalty is to Mexico.

Are they really that much up on their Texas History?

I doubt it.

If the name is changed, there's no way I'll vote for Sylvia Garcia in another election. Houston 1836's name was not at all named with anyone else in mind except Houston's past. I didn't like the name at first, but when I first heard what the name meant, I thought it was great, because I can't think of many cities in America that can claim to have the history that we have.

I do have one thing unpolitically correct to say. I spent the entire Summer of 1999 in Guadalajara, Mexico. Can't wait to go back. But from what I learned from some of my best friend's relatives was that, according to them, it's not taught in most schools in Mexico that Texas won it's independence from Mexico. They told me that they were taught that Texas was BOUGHT by the United States. It started a small debate that night, but it wasn't too big a deal at the time. If that statement was true (that Texas being bought was taught at their school), maybe the 1836 naming debate makes somewhat sense. I was always taught that Sam Houston's undermanned Army defeated Santa Anna at San Jacinto. I even had a Texas History class in 7th grade. I guarantee that Mexico, the rest of the US, and the whole world for that matter, don't have a Texas History class in their curiculum.

What if...again....what if, Mexico's public schools and public schools in Texas are teaching two different things about Texas's history? Us Americans always are taught that we never lost a war. What if Mexico and all the countries in the world also teach their kids that they never lost a war either? We should be proud of having Houston 1836 as a team name, but what if there are some people out there that are not ready to except the fact that Texas won it's independance? Wasn't there an uproar when the Disney movie "The Alamo" came out, because they showed at the end that Sam Houston won at San Jacinto? Why was that? Why is the subject of independance offensive to anyone?

I'll give another example of politically incorrect. The United States Soccer team is now within the top 10 ranked teams in soccer. But if we defeat anyone in a soccer match, are we recognized as a great team, or is the opposing team recognized as having an off day? Case in point, World Cup 2002. We made the quarterfinals, and STILL got no respect from the world.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

If the name is changed, there's no way I'll vote for Sylvia Garcia in another election. Houston 1836's name was not at all named with anyone else in mind except Houston's past. I didn't like the name at first, but when I first heard what the name meant, I thought it was great, because I can't think of many cities in America that can claim to have the history that we have.

I do have one thing unpolitically correct to say. I spent the entire Summer of 1999 in Guadalajara, Mexico. Can't wait to go back. But from what I learned from some of my best friend's relatives was that, according to them, it's not taught in most schools in Mexico that Texas won it's independence from Mexico. They told me that they were taught that Texas was BOUGHT by the United States. It started a small debate that night, but it wasn't too big a deal at the time. If that statement was true (that Texas being bought was taught at their school), maybe the 1836 naming debate makes somewhat sense. I was always taught that Sam Houston's undermanned Army defeated Santa Anna at San Jacinto. I even had a Texas History class in 7th grade. I guarantee that Mexico, the rest of the US, and the whole world for that matter, don't have a Texas History class in their curiculum.

What if...again....what if, Mexico's public schools and public schools in Texas are teaching two different things about Texas's history? Us Americans always are taught that we never lost a war. What if Mexico and all the countries in the world also teach their kids that they never lost a war either? We should be proud of having Houston 1836 as a team name, but what if there are some people out there that are not ready to except the fact that Texas won it's independance? Wasn't there an uproar when the Disney movie "The Alamo" came out, because they showed at the end that Sam Houston won at San Jacinto? Why was that? Why is the subject of independance offensive to anyone?

I'll give another example of politically incorrect. The United States Soccer team is now within the top 10 ranked teams in soccer. But if we defeat anyone in a soccer match, are we recognized as a great team, or is the opposing team recognized as having an off day? Case in point, World Cup 2002. We made the quarterfinals, and STILL got no respect from the world.

Greetings DJ....

Are you certain that your best friends relatives were not confusing Texas with the "Great Louisiana Land Purchase from the French"?

As constantly corrupt as the Mexican government is and has always been, it is not surprising to hear this startling yet typical series of events. For can you imagine if it were true...........for if so, then Mexico would certainly be rich enough to not be so impoverished.......and their citizens would not have to constantly risk life and limb trying to escape into the United States for a better life.

.......but as far as I am concerned.......the State of Texas is and has always been PRICELESS!

Metropolitantexan

PC Houston

I'm sorry. Houston represents the name of the man that led the band of rebels to defeat Santa Anna, and even though I live in Houston, I'm offended that you would even consider having Houston in your name because it represents something that may touch a nerve to some in the community because of it's history, and it may result in us changing the name again in 27 days.

Better stick with simply "PC"

Here's the new mascot:

Ft-carson-vet-kitten.jpg

The team will now be (appropriately) known as the Quivering puppies.

I am certain that 95% or more of Houston hispanics don't care a whit about the name, but idiots like Sylvia Garcia will help create stereotypes and a backlash that could end up hurting her supposed constituency. There's already a lot of grumbling that more should be done to police the borders and reduce illegal immigration. Add in blather idiots like her that presents the false impression that "Mexican-Americans" are antagonistic and resisting assimilation, and the sentiment grows. Nobody wants this area to turn into a Paris suburb. Of course most of them aren't, it won't, and there is actually very little comparable, but perception and myth often drive political movements.

Every time racism appears to die out, morons like Sylvia Garcia try to fan the flames. Does she ever think before she speaks?

Edited by dp2

Greetings DJ....

Are you certain that your best friends relatives were not confusing Texas with the "Great Louisiana Land Purchase from the French"?

As constantly corrupt as the Mexican government is and has always been, it is not surprising to hear this startling yet typical series of events. For can you imagine if it were true...........for if so, then Mexico would certainly be rich enough to not be so impoverished.......and their citizens would not have to constantly risk life and limb trying to escape into the United States for a better life.

.......but as far as I am concerned.......the State of Texas is and has always been PRICELESS!

Metropolitantexan

Greetings mate!

I'm 100% positive that they said they were taught that Texas was bought seperately by the United States AFTER the Louisiana Purchase. They didn't even acknowlege the fact that Texas was once it's own country. Said that according to their schools (it was a number of people that said the same thing), Texas was directly bought from Mexico to the United States in the same fashion that America bought the Louisiana Purchase from the French, because Mexico wanted the money and Texas wanted to expand.

Sounds crazy, but that's exactly what the debate was about at the time. They thought I was nuts...

oluck@ houston1836.com

My email to these characters:

I'm very disappointed in the current controversy surrounding the name of our new Houston soccer team. I believe removing the name 1836 is a terrible decision. Brave Texans fought with their lives for our state and you're slapping them in the face. You're telling the citizens of this great state that they can't be proud of their state and their heritage. Have you ever questioned a Texan's allegiance to his/her state before? I doubt that you have because you would have remembered it and not done so twice.

You may think that you're correcting a wrong, but celebrating the birth of Houston and Texas is not a wrong. It's something that every Texan is proud of. Please don't tell us that we can't be proud Texans any longer. Furthermore, this name was VOTED on by MLS fans in Houston. How can you remove the name because a small faction of people don't like it when the majority of your fans actually voted for the name? Do you realize that you're going to alienate the fans that voted for the name in the first place?

I expect that if you go through with this name change that you will see an even larger backlash from Texans who will be more offended than any Mexican to date. Texans are proud, please don't forget that. We didn't name our cities after Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin for nothing.

Thanks for your time,

Edited by Houston1836

well i got a quick reply from Mr. Luck, i never mentioned that i would not support the team so i'm not sure where he got that from, i simply stated that i supported the name Housotn 1836 and did not think there should be any controversy. here is his reply to me:

"Thanks for the e-mail. I appreciate your passion on the matter. Since the name was launched last month I have heard from a number of folks and institutions in the Mexican-American community as well as in the Anglo. African-American and Asian community. We have hit a "raw nerve" in the Mexican-American community with our decision. I do not see it as a white-black-brown issue at all. Soccer, as you well know, is a game that is enjoyed across the globe by virtually every ethnicity. Houston has always been a city in which the ethnic groups get along well. We want to contribute to that.

Our intent is to unite the soccer fans of this great city. It was becoming clearer to me that we would have an extremely difficult time doing this given the passionate feelings that exist. I hope that you will reconsider your position on supporting the team. We need everyone in this city who cares about the sport to be supportive.

I would be happy to meet with you if you are so inclined. Again, a sports franchise ought to exist to bring people together and given the depth of the feelings that we encountered this goal would have been difficult to achieve. I respect your opinion but I hope that you reconsider. Believe me, I was very tempted to "stay the course" but after a lot of reflection from the league, the ownership group and the local folks here in Houston we decided that a change was necessary. At the end of the day it was a business decision about what is best for our long term business prospects.

Oliver Luck"

well i got a quick reply from Mr. Luck, i never mentioned that i would not support the team so i'm not sure where he got that from, i simply stated that i supported the name Housotn 1836 and did not think there should be any controversy. here is his reply to me:

"Thanks for the e-mail. I appreciate your passion on the matter. Since the name was launched last month I have heard from a number of folks and institutions in the Mexican-American community as well as in the Anglo. African-American and Asian community. We have hit a "raw nerve" in the Mexican-American community with our decision. I do not see it as a white-black-brown issue at all. Soccer, as you well know, is a game that is enjoyed across the globe by virtually every ethnicity. Houston has always been a city in which the ethnic groups get along well. We want to contribute to that.

Our intent is to unite the soccer fans of this great city. It was becoming clearer to me that we would have an extremely difficult time doing this given the passionate feelings that exist. I hope that you will reconsider your position on supporting the team. We need everyone in this city who cares about the sport to be supportive.

I would be happy to meet with you if you are so inclined. Again, a sports franchise ought to exist to bring people together and given the depth of the feelings that we encountered this goal would have been difficult to achieve. I respect your opinion but I hope that you reconsider. Believe me, I was very tempted to "stay the course" but after a lot of reflection from the league, the ownership group and the local folks here in Houston we decided that a change was necessary. At the end of the day it was a business decision about what is best for our long term business prospects.

Oliver Luck"

He's right, of course, from a business standpoint. Even if the real whiners represent only a tiny portion of the population, they've succeeded in polarizing fans of all races and he's got to try to find some middle ground name-wise and get on with the business of running a world class soccer organization.

Skwatra, I vote for you as our official HAIF 1836 rep. Perhaps you can invite Mr. Luck to address the forum. I think we're overwhelmingly sympathetic to his dilemma and it might lift his spirits to know we're here.

I emailed Oliver back and asked him if there will be another vote for the name. i also sent him the link to this forum and told him we had a good discussion going on the topic.

Excellent. We look forward to having him on.

skwatra, I just now got the exact same reply as you from Olivia Luck.

<_<

Ditto here, I expected as much. Also, here is Sylvia Garcia's response (as expected as well), she doesn't even address the merits of the argument, some Texan she is.

Thank you for taking time to express your opinion on the name of our new soccer team. My office has received many calls and e-mails over the past two weeks on both sides of this issue. I feel it is important that we have a team name that everyone in our community can embrace without reservation, so I am very pleased that the team

It's a soccer team name GET OVER IT!!!!!!

I think all this BOOO HOOO crap about why the name was changed is just that Crap.

Everyone getting all emotional about A NAME! Where are your prioities... IT WAS A CRAP NAME y'all and the media should stop using a group as a scape goat. I think that everyone jumping on the bash the minority bandwagon are just using this topic to expose the truth. That they are just Eurocentric, intolerate bigots.

PERIOD.

If this applies to you GET A LIFE

It's a soccer team name GET OVER IT!!!!!!

I think all this BOOO HOOO crap about why the name was changed is just that Crap.

Everyone getting all emotional about A NAME! Where are your prioities...

PERIOD.

If this applies to you GET A LIFE

Ironically, it's obvious that that advice applies to you more than it does anyone else.

If you don't like the name, don't go to the games. It's a nice name the way it iwas. They've already printed the t-shirts and uniforms, so why bother changing it now?