:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yo, H Town Man, think the new stadium will be built at San Jacinto too?!

I think that if the stadium were built there, it could be offensive to Hispanics. After all, this was the place were the Mexican army lost a battle to the Texas forces. How dare the people of Texas do what they want to on the spot where the Mexican army lost a battle.

Santa Ana really has no one to blame but himself, for parking his troops right next to a huge monument that could be seen from miles away.

He was there because he wanted to see what the hell it was all about. Isn't that why folks still go there today?

• 3 weeks later...
They're changing it. Names being tossed around are Apollos, Lonestars, Mustangs (zzzzz) and Generals.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I just heard. I'm thinking Lonestars, is the best of the bunch. They can keep the same logo just change the "1836" to "Lonestars"

342xSectionMain.jpg

A lonestar is already part of the logo and the soccer ball and Sam Houston silluete can stay

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Amazing that they really underestimated the power of modern day cultural sensitivity. Those 1836 paraphenalia items are going to be hot commodities. I wonder if I can find a t-shirt still?

The names that are left are ultra-pedestrian. This team has been defanged from the start with this. I'm surprised Generals is still being kicked around as it obviously refers to the Texan rebel generals.

What's next, a demand to remove the San Jacinto Monument?

I think this is ridiculous. 1836 is meant to be a source of pride for Houstonians and Texans alike. I liked the name very much. It's too bad that once again the minority opinion is affecting change when this was a voted upon name. So much for democracy.

It'll be interesting to see the backlash THIS creates...

I think this is ridiculous. 1836 is meant to be a source of pride for Houstonians and Texans alike. I liked the name very much. It's too bad that once again the minority opinion is affecting change when this was a voted upon name. So much for democracy.

Actually, the name ONLY referred to the City's founding. The State's independence was coincidental. However, some decided to make it a STATE date rather than a CITY one. The team should have expected that, though, and either accounted for it or not used the name.

I, for one, am disappointed that it is seen as disparaging.

They're changing it. Names being tossed around are Apollos, Lonestars, Mustangs (zzzzz) and Generals.

:rolleyes:

Where did you hear this? I couldn't find an article about it. Are people sure that it would be changed due to cultural sensitivities, instead of, say, just being a silly name?

That being said, anything beats "Apollos". That just doesn't call Houston to mind.

I hope they find a better name. Not because I find 1836 offensive-I don't. I find it lame and unimaginative. As I've said before, I think the name "Challangers" would be more in keeping with other space-based team names such as the Astros and the Rockets...I can't bring myself to lump in the Texans as it usually triggers my gag reflex. :P

B)

It was announced on channel 11 news.

The name is suppose to be a Houston pride thing instead it did turn into a sore subject. Texans see it as a year when Texas gained its independence. Mexican's see that year as the beginning of the lost of Half their land by an invading foreign country. Foreign in language, religion, ethnicity, and over all culture. Unlike the US and the Brits. The Brits were faster to recuperate because there was and is a common religion, language, ethnicity and culture. After the American Revolution the UK still had a grip on the majority of the world so the lost of the US wasn

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

I think that the media is trying to make it more into a minorityit versus a majority thing than what it really is. That story sales papers and attracts veiwers.

Even though the minority thing may be a factor, I also think that when it was revealed a lot of people just didn't like it. I never thought 1836 was going to make it.

I think it just requires too much brain power for the average joe at first and just scares them. It's alright, it could be better.

I'm not nuts about the name, but at least I give them credit for not coming up with one of the usual lame normal team names like the alternative. Too bad they feel they have to cave in for some bogus controversy that looks like it was dreamed up by some local tv station. I seriously doubt many fans were truly bothered by "Houston 1836". Puzzled, perhaps, but not bothered.

I'm not nuts about the name, but at least I give them credit for not coming up with one of the usual lame normal team names like the alternative. Too bad they feel they have to cave in for some bogus controversy that looks like it was dreamed up by some local tv station. I seriously doubt many fans were truly bothered by "Houston 1836". Puzzled, perhaps, but not bothered.

I hear you...I think most fans probably care more about how the ball is moved on the field but an annoying name can be a distraction...it's why I've always liked my nickname as opposed to my given name-which really DOES suck! :lol:

B)

I am EXTREMELY offended by this story. Who won the battle of the Alamo? The Mexican Army!! Yet San Antonio is known as the Alamo City, and NOBODY is offended by that...as nobody should be. However when Houston 1836 is announced, there were people out there that were offended that the under-manned Texas Army WON?! WTF?

We can change a team name, but we can't change Texas History. This means that ANYTIME we honor San Jacinto or ANYTHING that happened in 1836, somebody out there will say it's not politically correct. They're probably offended that Houston is named after the man that defeated Santa Anna in the first place. They're probably offended that the San Jacinto monument exists and is as tall as it is.

This is another example of Houston's #1 problem: We NEED to stop worrying about being politically correct 100% of the time, and start worrying about taking some chances if we want anything original in Houston. Not just soccer, either. ANYTHING. Houston's an extremely diverse city, so anything honoring Houston's past will be hated by at least 1 or 2 people will nothing else to do with their time.

I loved LoneStars at first, but only because I thought it was the most safe. I didn't realize how scared us Houstonians were about honoring Houston's past until I heard of the Houston 1836 debate. We should be proud of who we are.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Another name being mentioned as a contender is El Toros.

I'm with y'all. The more I hear about it, the more I think about it... :angry2:

I want to slap some people. We're going to get stuck with some stupid, generic, high school sounding team name, all because a few turds were offended and, from what I gather, convinced others that they should be offended as well. So messed up! Such a screwed up situation.

I'll be especially upset if they go along the lines of Mustangs or El Toros.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I am not "offended" by the name at all, but of all the names in the world to choose, that has to be THE most GAWDAWFUL moniker for a team EVER ! What the hell would our mascot have looked like, a screamin R.O.T. soldier with a bloody bayonet, holding a Mexican soldier's decapitated head in one hand. C'mon, you all know that name SUCKS ! I am happy they are changing it. I would hope that they would at least stay with a name that conicides with the ENGLISH language, I don't care how close we are to the border. :rolleyes:

This is ridiculous - I cannot believe that they let the voice of a few idiots speak for the rest of the city. I thought that the hoopla had died down some, but I guess a few persistant people kept barking and eventually the higher ups buckled. What a bunch of crap. This is Houston. Houston was founded in 1836 - what is the problem? definitely a corporate decision in the end - the mindset that the people offended will be the ones buying tickets.

Anyone who protested the name out of being "offended" should just go ahead and leave the city.