Polar Wave Ice Palace Rink At 2323 Hutchins St.

TikiOwl

My mom used to skate there back in the late '30s. One of her good friends there was Josephine Cottle. Mom dated her brother for a time.

Josephine Cottle was a 1940 grad of San Jacinto High. Did your mom meet her brother through her friendship with Josephine or vice versa. Did her brother also go to San Jac? I used to tag along with my sisters, who went to San Jac, when they went to Polar Wave in the early 40's. Main thing I remember is that it was really cold in there. I think San Jac even had a hockey team that practiced and played there.

TBird, my mom came to Bastrop yesterday, and that was the first time I have had to really talk with her. She told me that she met Josephine at Polar Wave, and met her brother, Jimmy, there, too. Mom did skate there, but she worked there as well, and that

• 2 years later...

Hiya, folks...I know I'm coming into this thread really late, but does anyone know where the ice rink used to be? All I could find out was that it was on Hutchins Street but no street number. And I presume the building is no longer there? When did it close down? Thanks...

Hiya, folks...I know I'm coming into this thread really late, but does anyone know where the ice rink used to be? All I could find out was that it was on Hutchins Street but no street number. And I presume the building is no longer there? When did it close down? Thanks...

Don't have an address, but it was at Hutchins and McGowen.

Interesting thread, my mom has always told stories of ice skating at that place, she actually had the ice skates in our attic. She grew up in the 1940's.

Always thought it was such an exotic idea, ice skating in this hot city.

• 9 years later...

My grandma, dad & 2 younger siblings came to Houston in 1936. My dad had a rough ice route. Airline, Tidwell, Parker & Jenson. He bought a truck from Mr. Jolley who owned Polar Ice. Well we thought we knew. I've inherited photos & letters of my grandmas. Letter came from a sailor cousin & he pined about The Polar. "He'll never forget when Bill wrecked Old Man Jolley's truck & had to buy it". " The rumble they were in that night was exciting". These 2 hood thugs became a well regarded dentist in Oak Forest, Dr. Troy N Moser & Vice President of Builder's Hardware Inc. on Holmes Rd, Bill F Moser. My dad Bill was 11 when he started the route & bought the truck at about 12 yrs old. 

1ed07cd55acefc816f372f463ba05853.jpg

Capture+_2018-04-06-04-56-55.png

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2009 at 4:14 PM, sabasushi said:

2323 Hutchins Street

• 2 months later...

Hello again. I have been contacted by Troy Polly's grandson. I was reading Jolly all these years. He knows almost nothing of his grandfather Troy. If anyone comes up with more photos he would be grateful. I have the Sloane collection so if you all have snapshots of your family skating please post. His name is Mark Polly and he is starving for his family history. 

• The title was changed to Polar Wave Ice Palace At 2323 Hutchins St.
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Polar Wave Ice Palace Rink At 2323 Hutchins St.
  • 4 months later...