I have a lot of respect for GHPA and David Bush. He just e-mailed me back. I don't want to put the e-mail here, but he basically shared with me what's alread in this thread, and the fact that a private developer is closing very soon on the property and turning the mansion into an assisted living facility! However, Mr. Bush also stated that the developer has NO PLANS WHATSOEVER of having a tour of the mansion. That part sucks, but I maybe able to finagle something. It's always worked for me here in Dallas and Fort Worth.

GHPA just sent out an email:

Opus West Corporation is expected to close this week on its purchase of the James & Jessie West Mansion overlooking Clear Lake at NASA Parkway and Space Center Blvd. [map]. The new owner has met with representatives of the Texas Historical Commission (THC) to discuss preliminary plans to rehabilitate the historic house and develop part of the site. Opus West is buying the 1929 Italian Renaissance mansion, its outbuildings and nine surrounding acres from Olajuwon Farms, LLP.

The company is currently assessing the building

I'm glad they are not demolishing it like I had heard. That is a magnificent structure, there are not that many of those old mansions left in this area. The only other one I can think of is the Ross Sterling Mansion in La Porte.

joe

I just hope that the developer does the mansion justice. Now, I'm trying Rice's library to see if I can dig anything up on the house.

Hi John,

I did find a few more shots....enjoy :D

Edited by prisclynn

Hello everyone, I am new here, but as they say have been lurking for a long time. I get lost here for hours.

Prisclynn, John Finley is correct when he says thank you because some of us will never be able to view the inside of the mansion.

You were so brave to go into that big ole empty house. Weren't you scared? :o Were you alone? What if a vagrant or some undesirable was hiding upstairs? Were you calling out hello? Did you get to see the bathrooms? I was wondering if the mansion had fancy bathtubs that were original to the house?

Edited by BabyJaneHudson

Hello everyone, I am new here, but as they say have been lurking for a long time. I get lost here for hours.

Prisclynn, John Finley is correct when he says thank you because some of us will never be able to view the inside of the mansion.

You were so brave to go into that big ole empty house. Weren't you scared? :o Were you alone? What if a vagrant or some undesirable was hiding upstairs? Were you calling out hello? Did you get to see the bathrooms? I was wondering if the mansion had fancy bathtubs that were original to the house?

The place looks just like the house daddy built for Baby Jane and her sister Blanch. By the way did you know there are rats in the cellar? :lol: Yours best avatar yet! Blaaaaaannnnch!!!!!

....but I bet you know that you're stuck in that wheel chair...........ya aaaarre Blanche!

I've read somewhere that there is one bath on the first floor, that's still a complete deco bath, and upstairs some of the baths were ripped out, and some were covered in carpet on the walls! That may have been from the Texas Historical Commission article on the house.

Edited by johnfinley

Vertigo and John, yes I knew there was a reason for my liking that house, it is just like the one Daddy built for me with my money.

I've written my letter to Daddy and told him what they are trying to do to my house ....lol.

P.S. Carpet on the walls? I guess you can do what ever you want when you can afford it.

Actually I am up to a field trip... Thinking of driving down there today... and yes... going inside if I can... Anyone game to join me?

probably can't get out there today...but

if you can get access to the interior, you'll have to be my guide when i am able to go :D

Edited by sevfiv

Just don't start throwing rocks at the windows like we did as kids. That's what drew attention and the fuzz showed up! Run!

and be sure to take Baby Jane her newly redone costumes. She's making a comeback you know.

Daddy always said, "they can take everything away from you, but they can never take away your talent" :lol:

Martha and everyone, I would try to find some parking at the existing condos and walk while I can. I live in Fort Worth, and can't come down until October. I would like to take at least 100 pictures when I do come down. I would like to take at least 4 pictures of every room, more detailed pics of the 'deco decorations that remain, and pictures of the entrance facade, porte cochere, and the facade you see when you pull up. The facade that faces NASA 1 is over photographed. In addition, I'm having copies of the plans made for my birthday, since I collect floor plans.
Edited by prisclynn

Do not know if the place will still be vacant in October... word is that it was recently sold. Prisclynn hints that perhaps caretakers are living on the premises.

Prisclynn...thanks so much for the pics. I would still like to see it in person... but if I do not get the chance...at least now we have a better ideal of the treasures inside.

Edited by MarthaG

An article on the new owners was in the Chron on Saturday. It appears the structure will be preserved!

Sale to preserve famed mansion

The home built in 1929 by oil and cattle baron James Marion West will be retained, with apartments for seniors surrounding it

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The historic West mansion across from Clear Lake is being sold to a real estate development firm that plans to preserve the property and build apartments for seniors around it.

Opus West Corp., a division of the Minneapolis-based Opus Group, is under contract to buy about nine acres of land along NASA Parkway, including the 17,000-square-foot home built in 1929 by oil, lumber and cattle baron James Marion West.

"Our concept is to make the mansion a central gathering area and the architectural focal point for our development," said Robert Wheless, director of real estate development for Opus West.

See article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/bay/news/4913998.html

Those are great! Thanks Prisclynn. I can't stand the 1968 Rice remodel wallpaper. It's also a shame that Rice had the dropped celing put in the Palm Room. I wonder if the zuggurat style celing is still there, underneath those dropped tiles?

You are welcome guys and gals. I agree, the wall paper in the bathrooms were ugly. The Palm Room? Which floor is that on? I dont remember ceiling tiles.