Windows Live Local

Well, as Kevin Jackson, EastEnd Susan, and TheNiche have all discovered, Microsoft Live Search is really cool. In much of Houston it allows surprisingly good 45-degree birdseye closeups. Views are available looking in any of the four major compass directions.

Some observations for the new user:

URL: http://local.live.com Internet Explorer or Firefox are required. No other browsers will work. There is an Internet Explorer plug-in which allows 3D rendering of some buildings, provided you have WinXP or Vista and IE 6 or 7. The 3D's are not available for Mac.

The birdseyes seem to be a few months old. The Rice University area, for example, was done in early February of last year.

The "overhead" aerials are, in my opinion, inferior to those found on Google Earth.

Birdseyes are created by stitching together lots of images. At Hobby Airport by the Air Museum (old terminal) you can see hangar doors switching between open and closed as you "pan" from one side to the other.

Birdseyes are available for many though not all large metro areas in the US and Europe. They are available for Galveston, but not Brazoria or Montgomery counties as near as I can tell. Other surprising omissions are Chicago, Dallas, Tulsa, Des Moines, London, and Paris. Supposedly they are adding more.

Have fun! This can be a big time-waster. Ed's, please feel free to move this to another forum if that's appropriate.

marmer

Well, as Kevin Jackson, EastEnd Susan, and TheNiche have all discovered, Microsoft Live Search is really cool. In much of Houston it allows surprisingly good 45-degree birdseye closeups. Views are available looking in any of the four major compass directions.

Some observations for the new user:

URL: http://local.live.com Internet Explorer or Firefox are required. No other browsers will work. There is an Internet Explorer plug-in which allows 3D rendering of some buildings, provided you have WinXP or Vista and IE 6 or 7. The 3D's are not available for Mac.

The birdseyes seem to be a few months old. The Rice University area, for example, was done in early February of last year.

The "overhead" aerials are, in my opinion, inferior to those found on Google Earth.

Birdseyes are created by stitching together lots of images. At Hobby Airport by the Air Museum (old terminal) you can see hangar doors switching between open and closed as you "pan" from one side to the other.

Birdseyes are available for many though not all large metro areas in the US and Europe. They are available for Galveston, but not Brazoria or Montgomery counties as near as I can tell. Other surprising omissions are Chicago, Dallas, Tulsa, Des Moines, London, and Paris. Supposedly they are adding more.

Have fun! This can be a big time-waster. Ed's, please feel free to move this to another forum if that's appropriate.

marmer

Why move it check out Astroworld on live..It's historic now.

Word about Live Local has gotten around my office and completely eliminated any hope of a productive workday. It's like a virus.

I just found live search as well. My father was born in Denison, TX and in 1990, we traveled there to see the places where his grandparents lived and worked. The location of the house is now a parking lot, but the building that my grandfather owned from around 1900 until he died in 1936, was still there.

I just looked at it on live local and found out that the house location is still a parking lot, but the business building is gone. The only thing that is left is the railroad spur that led up to the side of it.

We had been thinking of going back to Denison, but now we don't have to.

Word about Live Local has gotten around my office and completely eliminated any hope of a productive workday. It's like a virus.

Yeah, but like a virus, after you've spent a couple of days looking at everything you can think of, it gets back to normal. :rolleyes:

Another issue, aside from the fact that trees and tall buildings can really get in the way, is that addresses are usually off by a few lots.

marmer

• 1 year later...

Archived