5.4-Acres Of Land At 7739 San Felipe St.

Boris

5.4-Acres of Land on San Felipe Street & Woodway Drive.

Google Satellite has the following addresses on the vacant parcel:

7503 San Felipe Street
7709 San Felipe Street
7715 San Felipe Street
7727 San Felipe Street

pRSu9Lc.png

Seniors' condo to be built at Memorial Villages

Houston Business Journal - 12:59 PM CST Mondayby Allison WollamHouston Business Journal

http://www.thesterlingseniorcondo.com/memorialvillage/images/photo_rendering.jpg

Sunrise Senior Living is planning the first high-rise condominium inside Beltway 8 to offer home ownership exclusively for seniors.

The 27-story Sterling at Memorial Villages will be located on the west side of Voss between San Felipe and Woodway, near the upscale neighborhoods of Memorial Villages, Briargrove and Tanglewood.

The high-rise, to open in June 2010, will feature 166 residences that will be priced from the high $400,000s.

One-, two- and three-bedroom condominium options are available, ranging from approximately 950 square feet to 2,200 square feet.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

• Like 1

photo_rendering.jpg

I notice that with a lot of newer highrise buildings (usually office), there is this trend to install these fake things that look like they should be used to support retractable awnings that could be used as some sort of energy-saving device. But they don't do anything and are seemingly functionless. This building has particularly large ones at the top. But they're also on METRO's headquarters, the new 14-story buildings going up in Westchase, on one of the Energy Corridor highrise buildings between Dairy Ashford and Eldridge, and in the new UH library.

What is it with these things? Any architects want to explain the appeal? Or is this just a tacky 00's fad?

• 2 months later...

This is the sign for The Sterling which will be on Voss at San Felipe where the Chipotle strip center is now...first time I have seen the whole rendering for this...they have a sales center opening soon by Carabba's on Voss too it looks like...kinda boxy building, but an okay addition IMHO...if it happens.

Sign:

sterling.jpg

Beside Carabbas:

sterling2.jpg

First time I've heard or seen this before, looks good for an old folks' home! Glad to see another Highrise... inbetween Uptown & Westchase. However, the rendering looks something like a rendering i've seen for a senior living highrise in Dallas... Which raises a question since the landscape in this rendering includes hills/mountains.

First time I've heard or seen this before, looks good for an old folks' home! Glad to see another Highrise... inbetween Uptown & Westchase. However, the rendering looks something like a rendering i've seen for a senior living highrise in Dallas... Which raises a question since the landscape in this rendering includes hills/mountains.

Looks like they're doing one in Dallas too...The Sterling of Turtle Creek. Guess they're putting them in lots of places. A little different but the one in Dallas looks more like an office building to me.

sterlingtc.jpg

Edited by BuilderGeek

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

5.4-Acres of Land on San Felipe Street & Woodway Drive.

Google Satellite has the following addresses on the vacant parcel:

7503 San Felipe Street
7709 San Felipe Street
7715 San Felipe Street
7727 San Felipe Street

pRSu9Lc.png

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5323129.html

A New York developer is planning two condominium towers on San Felipe near the tony neighborhoods of Tanglewood and Memorial.

The company chose Houston as the location for the project because of its strong economy and unmet demand for luxury high-rise housing, development executive Sara Mirski said.

Plans for the 5.4-acre site, at the corner of San Felipe and Woodway, include two towers with 27 residential floors and a total of 223 condominiums surrounded by lush landscaping and fountains.

The project is being developed by Azorim, an Israeli real estate firm whose shares trade on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange. Brooklyn-based Boymelgreen Developers, whose founder owns 64 percent of Azorim, is managing the project.

Sales will begin next fall on the units, which will start at $1 million and average 2,500 square feet.

A sales center will be built across from the building site, which now houses a cluster of low-rise commercial structures.

In recent years, other developers have tried to hawk similarly priced units, but their buildings never came out of the ground.

The developers gave various reasons for the cancellations, including market uncertainties related to Hurricane Katrina and slow unit sales.

The article then gives an update on the Turnberry project across from the Williams Tower.

The print edition has a mini site plan as well.

I thought it was interesting that they are willing to build it on a spec basis.

"Mirski said the development of the Azorim project is not dependent on preselling a portion of the units, which will all come completely finished.

"We believe in the product," she said. "We're willing to move forward without sales.""

This site has been tapped for a luxury high rise for at least 3 years and was not the site where the retirement community was going to go. The site is currently a 2-story wooden office park type development on San Felipe west of Voss and just east of the Bayou. There used to be a Kinkos on the east edge of the property.

Also - go to www.mapquest.com and type in 7703 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77063 - you'll see where San Felipe and Woodway intersect.

I thought it was interesting that they are willing to build it on a spec basis.

"Mirski said the development of the Azorim project is not dependent on preselling a portion of the units, which will all come completely finished.

"We believe in the product," she said. "We're willing to move forward without sales.""

Finally, the mindset that built Tokyo, Dubai, and even New York in the early 1900's comes to America. I'm glad it landed in Houston. Hopefully it spreads.

Finally, the mindset that built Tokyo, Dubai, and even New York in the early 1900's comes to America. I'm glad it landed in Houston. Hopefully it spreads.

What mindset? Belief in their product? Spec development?

Is this mindset not normal for the most part in the US?

What mindset? Belief in their product? Spec development?

Is this mindset not normal for the most part in the US?

The belief that you don't need sales to begin a project. Anyway, I completely agree. The Chicago Spire didn't have sales, and look, they're building it! :closedeyes:

This site has been tapped for a luxury high rise for at least 3 years and was not the site where the retirement community was going to go. The site is currently a 2-story wooden office park type development on San Felipe west of Voss and just east of the Bayou. There used to be a Kinkos on the east edge of the property.

Also - go to www.mapquest.com and type in 7703 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77063 - you'll see where San Felipe and Woodway intersect.

yeah, you're right. guess i didn't look too closely at the map :blush: i'm right next door to those old wooden office buildings, so either way i'll have a good view. wonder what's in store for the property on voss where the retirement community was slated to go?

yeah, you're right. guess i didn't look too closely at the map :blush: i'm right next door to those old wooden office buildings, so either way i'll have a good view. wonder what's in store for the property on voss where the retirement community was slated to go?

From what I know, the retirement facility is still planned. You can visit the sales center across the street. It is next to Buffalo Grille.

I am sure the homeowners in Farnham Park are really going to love new neighbors peering down on them.

From what I know, the retirement facility is still planned. You can visit the sales center across the street. It is next to Buffalo Grille.

I am sure the homeowners in Farnham Park are really going to love new neighbors peering down on them.

There isn't a sales center in that strip, or the other one across Woodway. The one across from both along Voss is completely vacant, and I assume where the Sterling tower would be located. I was out that way about an hour ago, so unless it was in really small letters or only in a window... I don't think it's there anymore.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

There isn't a sales center in that strip, or the other one across Woodway. The one across from both along Voss is completely vacant, and I assume where the Sterling tower would be located. I was out that way about an hour ago, so unless it was in really small letters or only in a window... I don't think it's there anymore.

It has been a few months since I was in the center, but they did have leasing space across the street. I did Google and found the site, however it is down.

Is this near the old Dolce and Freddo's used to be. I miss that location.

I thought that some sales were sometimes needed in order to get financing?

Exactly... and in some cases, that it needs to be nearly sold out before they can begin construction.

It's interesting that, since we have a falling dolar, many foreign entities are focused on this Houston project.

Exactly... and in some cases, that it needs to be nearly sold out before they can begin construction.

It's interesting that, since we have a falling dolar, many foreign entities are focused on this Houston project.

So are they able to do this b/c they're probably getting financing from a non-American lender?

There are three factors that ensure that foreign investors will continue putting money in U.S. real estate: 1) many believe that the dollar is about to bottom out, and if they've got money tied up in Dollars while the value stabilizes or begins to increase relative to their own currency, then they can make money just from currency transactions, 2) many nations have currencies that are pegged to the dollar or are heavily dependent on dollar-denominated oil production, eliminating or significantly curtailing currency risk, and 3) we're the default investment-of-first-resort for a lot of countries that perceive us as having the most stable political and legal system.

the san felipe / voss (the article mistakenly says woodway/voss) site is NOT the retirement site. ive mentioned this before but unable to disclose the actual location.. its an old retail center on the south side of san felipe and west of voss. the only tenant i can recall was fedex, which vacated a while ago.

in regards to the retirement development, that land is currently for sale. a marketing sign just went up over the weekend.

finally, they are still moving forward with richmond/post oak, only selling off out-parcels.