Dynamite Or Nitro?

Vertigo58

Who want's to light the match?

Put these faded or fading shopping malls out of their misery. Have been magnets for trouble for some time now. HPD can support. No media over-hype.

1. Sharpstown

2. Northline

3. Almeda

Endangered List:

1. Deerbrook

2. Willowbrook

3. Guns-point

Put these faded or fading shopping malls out of their misery. Have been magnets for trouble for some time now. HPD can support. No media over-hype.

1. Sharpstown

2. Northline

3. Almeda

Endangered List:

1. Deerbrook

2. Willowbrook

3. Guns-point

not sure if i agree with your list. northwest is worse than almeda IMO

3. Guns-point

I lived around the Aldine/ Northline/ Greenspoint area all my life. Greenspoint Mall is gonna get that big pig lipstick job but i don't see the mall lasting past 2015. Let's all prey that they don't turn it into a Major apartment Complex. I rather see another 400 foot tower like 3 Greenspoint Plaza. :closedeyes:

The endangered list doesn't make sense. For example, Willowbrook doesn't look all that old or abandoned. Methinks the OP just doesn't like shopping malls, period. :-)

But if we're talking about malls we hate....can I add Memorial City Mall to a list of malls to blow up? I know it's new and all, but I really hate that mall -- it's really bland and bleak indoors, and you feel like you're shopping inside a warehouse or something.

The endangered list doesn't make sense. For example, Willowbrook doesn't look all that old or abandoned. Methinks the OP just doesn't like shopping malls, period. :-)

But if we're talking about malls we hate....can I add Memorial City Mall to a list of malls to blow up? I know it's new and all, but I really hate that mall -- it's really bland and bleak indoors, and you feel like you're shopping inside a warehouse or something.

And if I may leave Houston for a moment, can we please blow up, burn down, or in some other way desecrate the San Marcos outlet shops? Their recent expansion in particular is an abomination to architecture.

1. Sharpstown

2. Northline

3. Almeda

Endangered List:

1. Deerbrook

2. Willowbrook

3. Guns-point

Your post makes no sense without at least explaining your logic. I would immediately take off Sharpstown. It's probably the only mall in the city that should have died, but instead flourished with local merchants. To me, it is a true success story. The only crimes happening at the Sharpstown Mall, are in the parking lot - after dark.

Northline had already been razed. I would add Northwest to the list and take off Almeda. As for endangered, what are either Deerbrook or Willowbrook in danger of? They are both very successful shopping centers with significant commerical retail surrounding their properties. They both offer a full line up of "off the rack" designer stores as well.

As for Greenspoint, I'll wait to see how the lip-stick makeover turns out. It could really go either way.

Please, explain your logic.

Compared to most malls, this one to me would seem the most opposite of your description. Each store front has its own individually designed faux outdoor entrance. Its by far no replacement for pedestrian friendly street shopping, but its certainly much better than a long hallway, with no skylights, and just flat, flush entrances to stores.

Your post makes no sense without at least explaining your logic. I would immediately take off Sharpstown. It's probably the only mall in the city that should have died, but instead flourished with local merchants. To me, it is a true success story. The only crimes happening at the Sharpstown Mall, are in the parking lot - after dark.

Really? Sharpstown has some major PR problems then. Guess it's time to venture back there to check it out.

1. Sharpstown

2. Northline

3. Almeda

Endangered List:

1. Deerbrook

2. Willowbrook

3. Guns-point

Clarification: Mean't more in terms of reports from HPD on what else, the crime.

Not so much in physical characterics of these malls. I wouldnt care if they were made of straw and mud as long as one wouldnt have to worry about entering or exiting without some kind of incident. Lets not be naive, any one that has lived in this city for more than 10 years knows someone either directly or indirectly that has encountered something bad at a mall parking lot or inside. Even The Galleria used to be a world class destination for tourists and even it is experiencing its share. So to reiterate, the bad element that often frequents the malls at the top are what was the premise for the topic. Reality bites.

Your post makes no sense without at least explaining your logic. I would immediately take off Sharpstown. It's probably the only mall in the city that should have died, but instead flourished with local merchants. To me, it is a true success story.

No, Sharpstown sucks. It may have a lot of locally-owned shops, but they don't cater to white people...there are too many black people there. We need to blow it up like we blew up that church in Birmingham! <_<

All the talk about Sharpstown reminds me of my cousin who's moving out of her apartment complex because, in her words, "it's getting too dark." When asked if she's had any run-ins or specific problems there, she says, "no, but they look at me funny." :o OK.

I wouldnt care if they were made of straw and mud as long as one wouldnt have to worry about entering or exiting without some kind of incident. Lets not be naive, any one that has lived in this city for more than 10 years knows someone either directly or indirectly that has encountered something bad at a mall parking lot or inside.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I've lived here for more than 30 years, my wife's lived here all 30+ of her years, most of our friends have lived here at least 15 years, and I don't know of any one of them who's had a problem with either an assault, robbery, or break-in at a mall. My wife worked daily in various malls for about 10 years, and didn't encounter anything like that...other than shoplifting.

Like I said, maybe I'm just naive, but I've never worried about entering and exiting malls, including Sharpstown, Northwest and Almeda Malls (which are three of the few malls I've ever been to in Houston).

I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Sure, there are assaults, thefts and robberies at malls...but do we need to fear for our lives every time we pull into the parking lot? No. It reminds me of the terrorism fear-mongering that occurred after 9/11.

Clarification: Mean't more in terms of reports from HPD on what else, the crime.

gotcha however i do believe some malls are more aggressive than others to keep it under control. I definitely would take Almeda off the list then.

The more people that shop there then there's a higher chance of crime happening just by sheer number of people. Of course our Mayor would say there's a less chance....but i digress.

Really? Sharpstown has some major PR problems then. Guess it's time to venture back there to check it out.

This should be much better (realistic) most rotten tooth at the top w/suggested reinvention.

1. Sharpstown - demolish make a cemetary

2. Northline - Lost cause has been for decades, cemetary

3. Guns-point - Melt it, stomped on it, paint it all one dark color, anything, store cattle yes!

This should be much better (realistic) most rotten tooth at the top w/suggested reinvention.

3. Guns-point - Melt it, stomped on it, paint it all one dark color, anything, store cattle yes!

Ed Wulfe is redoing northline as we speak. it will be a gulfgate style open air setup. He actively sought this because of the termination of the north GRT line nearby

Maybe I'm just naive, but I've lived here for more than 30 years, my wife's lived here all 30+ of her years, most of our friends have lived here at least 15 years, and I don't know of any one of them who's had a problem with either an assault, robbery, or break-in at a mall. My wife worked daily in various malls for about 10 years, and didn't encounter anything like that...other than shoplifting.

Like I said, maybe I'm just naive, but I've never worried about entering and exiting malls, including Sharpstown, Northwest and Almeda Malls (which are three of the few malls I've ever been to in Houston).

I think you're blowing things out of proportion. Sure, there are assaults, thefts and robberies at malls...but do we need to fear for our lives every time we pull into the parking lot? No. It reminds me of the terrorism fear-mongering that occurred after 9/11.

I agree. This is like saying that you wouldn't want to live in Sugarland or Missouri City because there have been home invasions there.

• 2 months later...

Cemetery is always spelt with an "e". Sister Mary Katherine would be whacking you across the head with a ruler about now.

Keep the really scary malls for the really scary people to shop at. If you close them down, then the scary people will start coming to the unscary malls like, Baybrook, First Colony, and The Woolands. Then were will we go.

Cemetery is always spelt with an "e". Sister Mary Katherine would be whacking you across the head with a ruler about now.

Keep the really scary malls for the really scary people to shop at. If you close them down, then the scary people will start coming to the unscary malls like, Baybrook, First Colony, and The Woolands. Then were will we go.

You are absolutly correct! very correct, (light bulb)

After giving it some thought...yes...yes...yes.

I thought the same when I saw all that over-hype about that stupid apt complex the city is closing down. Why is everyone so happy? The former tenants will be coming our way. To an apt near you (us).

Just like the Greyhound station downtown where former inmates are left to wander the city. Now it all makes sense. Robocop was just a movie right? :(

No, Sharpstown sucks. It may have a lot of locally-owned shops, but they don't cater to white people...there are too many black people there. We need to blow it up like we blew up that church in Birmingham! <_<

SHUT THE HELL UP!! If Sharpstown is an Urban (as in Black) mall 99 percent of the time, then what the hell are U trippin and bigoting about then? Sharpstown is way better than Gatspoint, and when I go to Sharpstown I feel a bit safer gettin my Nike Air Force One shoes from there than at Greenspoint where "the last person that touched em I bet they shot em." Every major city has Afrocentric Urban Malls like Atlanta's Greenbriar Mall, Oakland's Hilltop Mall (Richmond), LA's Baldwin Hills Mall, Chicago's Ford City and Philadelphia's The Gallery. Houston should continue to be on that list too thanks to Sharpstown. **drives down 59 there to buy some mo rap CDs there**

Northwest is horrible. The parking lot is torn up, it's got that 70s brown (think poo) look inside and one of it's three retail ends has been boarded up for years. It depreciates the entire area. Most people use it as a landmark on the way to the Galleria.

Went to Almeda Mall (out of desperation) the other day and its like my worse fears have come true. With Penney's now a vacant building there really isnt much left.

The Macy's on the north side is the only respectable store left and I was quite dissappointed with the place. It was the complete flip side of The Macy's at Baybrook Mall there is no comparing the 2. But I will, the one at Almeda Mall was so dead the shelves were in total disarray and this was early am by the way. Hardly any customers and the clerks were few and far between. It's like when Titanic hit the iceberg, a sense of impending doom. Seems like the employees know the end is near.

Like JJ Walker said, I choose...

dynomite-large.jpg

I am suprised that Northwest and Almeda are still in business. If they are still serving a need in their neighborhood, great. If not, they probably should close and be redeveloped for better uses.

I am really curious about Sharpstown. When I first moved to Houston I did a lot of my initial shopping there, although I could tell it was beginning to decline/change. Again, if it serves the community well - great. If not, that land is well located for other potential uses.

Although given its prominence in Houston history, I would hate to see Sharpstown go away completely.

The Macy's on the north side is the only respectable store left and I was quite dissappointed with the place. It was the complete flip side of The Macy's at Baybrook Mall there is no comparing the 2. But I will, the one at Almeda Mall was so dead the shelves were in total disarray and this was early am by the way. Hardly any customers and the clerks were few and far between. It's like when Titanic hit the iceberg, a sense of impending doom. Seems like the employees know the end is near.

Macy's at Almeda has changed for the better actually. They are "opening up" the store so it doesn't look as cluttered. At least that's what the manager told us. My mom and I were actually surprised when we went a few weeks ago. As for customers, Macy's in general is having issues here and that's why they introduced the "red apple" sales that Foley's had. Those sales are their best way of attracting the old Foley's customers.

All the talk about Sharpstown reminds me of my cousin who's moving out of her apartment complex because, in her words, "it's getting too dark." When asked if she's had any run-ins or specific problems there, she says, "no, but they look at me funny." :o OK.

I didnt detect any sarcasm here. Just pure racism...

You can make a list of places that don't cater to certain races. Diversity is one of the things thats great about our country. I am sure you don't agree. Maybe you should blow yourself up and all your problems will be solved.

I had a store in Greenspoint Mall for a year and half. I recently closed due to being in Afghanistan working. The mall is not bad at all and the changes are due, just a lot of red tape. The Gunspoint thing is tired and stupid. You are still holding on to the murder of one person (R.I.P.) that happened over 10 years ago???!!! There is no nickname for Enron which was a total abomination. Maybe you can start calling downtown ENGONE???

My .02

I didnt detect any sarcasm here. Just pure racism...

You can make a list of places that don't cater to certain races. Diversity is one of the things thats great about our country. I am sure you don't agree. Maybe you should blow yourself up and all your problems will be solved.

Did you read the second part of his post? Do you know where he lives (comfortably and happily)? The Original Timmy Chan (which is the name of a retail establishment that caters mostly to black folks) is probably the most defensive person on this forum when it comes to any disparaging comments made about predominantly-black neighborhoods.

Dry sarcasm. Trust me.

Did you read the second part of his post? Do you know where he lives (comfortably and happily)? The Original Timmy Chan (which is the name of a retail establishment that caters mostly to black folks) is probably the most defensive person on this forum when it comes to any disparaging comments made about predominantly-black neighborhoods.

Dry sarcasm. Trust me.

I hope he doesn't go on the road with that act or maybe he should...

Archived