Your Opinion: Best Mod Sites in Houston?

texasdago

So, I started a travel blog about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I'm covering tips, destinations, experiences, etc. You can see it at travelfix.blogspot.com

Anyway, so far I've posted on all kinds of topics including Venice, Buenos Aires, Mexico, planning and a few other things. I was thinking of including a post on the Top 3 (or maybe Top 5) Mod sights in Houston. What would y'all say are the top 3 or so worth visiting. This can be something open to the public like the MFAH by Mies Van Der Rohe (yes... that must be on there, in my opinion) to something like Howard Barnstone's Gordon house... more of a "drive by" sight.

Any thoughts?

If I'm driving with someone in the area, I always say "let me show you 2 of the best houses in Houston" and drive by the Gordon House and the 1930's house down the street on Blue Bonnet. As far as seeing a house near MFAH, 9 Shadowlawn is a suggestion. Of course The Menil House is not too far, and then drive to Lazy Lane to try to sneak a peek at the Neuhaus house, then drive Tiel Way and see the Kamraths, and I think a trip downtown to Pennzoil Place is a must.

You know that's not even scratching the surface, but would highlight a tiny bit of what Houston has to offer.

Jason

So, I started a travel blog about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I'm covering tips, destinations, experiences, etc. You can see it at travelfix.blogspot.com

Anyway, so far I've posted on all kinds of topics including Venice, Buenos Aires, Mexico, planning and a few other things. I was thinking of including a post on the Top 3 (or maybe Top 5) Mod sights in Houston. What would y'all say are the top 3 or so worth visiting. This can be something open to the public like the MFAH by Mies Van Der Rohe (yes... that must be on there, in my opinion) to something like Howard Barnstone's Gordon house... more of a "drive by" sight.

Any thoughts?

If I'm driving with someone in the area, I always say "let me show you 2 of the best houses in Houston" and drive by the Gordon House and the 1930's house down the street on Blue Bonnet. As far as seeing a house near MFAH, 9 Shadowlawn is a suggestion. Of course The Menil House is not too far, and then drive to Lazy Lane to try to sneak a peek at the Neuhaus house, then drive Tiel Way and see the Kamraths, and I think a trip downtown to Pennzoil Place is a must.

You know that's not even scratching the surface, but would highlight a tiny bit of what Houston has to offer.

Jason

Heck yeah I love the houses on Bluebonnet. There aren't a ton of examples of pure international style in this region so the Wirtz & Calhoun house is quite destinguished in that respect. And the Gordon house has all of the interesting characteristics such as being furnished by Flo Knoll. I don't know about significance, but the houses on Briar Hollow are pretty cool. 62 Briar Hollow, the Carter House by W,M,C,&A that the Echols quite nicely saved and the also the Barnstone house at 65 Briar Hollow. I think that Philip Johnson's buildings at St. Thomas are worth mentioning.

Heck yeah I love the houses on Bluebonnet. There aren't a ton of examples of pure international style in this region so the Wirtz & Calhoun house is quite destinguished in that respect. And the Gordon house has all of the interesting characteristics such as being furnished by Flo Knoll. I don't know about significance, but the houses on Briar Hollow are pretty cool. 62 Briar Hollow, the Carter House by W,M,C,&A that the Echols quite nicely saved and the also the Barnstone house at 65 Briar Hollow. I think that Philip Johnson's buildings at St. Thomas are worth mentioning.

62 Briar Hollow is now for sale. Too bad I don't have some extra money just sitting around.

post-1962-1170466701.jpg

Archived