Edward Simms Mansion At 900 South Wayside Dr.

isuredid

• 6 months later...

It had a half circle driveway in front and a big concrete fence in front so you could only catch a little glimpse of the property through the 2 gates that were iron. It was very big and very spooky. In the early 70's, my church had a haunted house party there. All I remember was palm trees around the house and a spiral staircase in very poor condition in the front room and a riding stable and what looked like a smaller house in back. My brother said some biker group lived in it for a while before the police found out they were there and chased them out. I can't find pictures of the place anywhere or even anything written about it. It was torn down right after that holloween party . There was also a big church to the south of it but its a school now. Does anyone know anything about the house or the family? Thanks in advance, Susan

Edited by EastEnd Susan

Are you talking about the estate on Wayside were the Fiesta store is now? Across from Gus Wortham golf course? I went there a couple of times in high school. Got chased off by some gang on my last visit (1971). It was a pretty scary place. If you look closely at the entrance to the Fiesta parking lot on Wayside, you can still see some of those palm trees and other landscaping features that were saved from the original estate.

It had a half circle driveway in front and a big concrete fence in front so you could only catch a little glimpse of the property through the 2 gates that were iron. It was very big and very spooky. In the early 70's, my church had a haunted house party there. All I remember was palm trees around the house and a spiral staircase in very poor condition in the front room and a riding stable and what looked like a smaller house in back. My brother said some biker group lived in it for a while before the police found out they were there and chased them out. I can't find pictures of the place anywhere or even anything written about it. It was torn down right after that holloween party . There was also a big church to the south of it but its a school now. Does anyone know anything about the house or the family? Thanks in advance, Susan

Take a look at the thread of historic mansions in near East End where we discuss this.

I remember seeing it rom Wayside too. Real mysterious and spooky like the ones we would see in Scooby-doo cartoons.

Seemed like they started scraping everything away from where that new school is all the way to Polk Street where the old/closed Kroger is. I remember those big apartments being built along with the Pizza Hut so I am certain it was 1975-76. Who knows about the buildings on the Golf Course across the street?

Isn't it despressing to think that after all these years that part of Wayside still hasn't been widened and redone? Hence, the major traffic jams and accidents that occur rear round. The city buses have added insult to injury too. Not even pedestrain sidewalks on the gold course side. On rainy days cars/buses splash people at the bus stops. Council members can't see this? Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I was going to ask you if you remember, or knew about this place! We used to go there in high school, and we used to call it the Wayside Mansion. It was so scary. A lot of the neighborhood kids would go lurking around the property at night and we would scare each other to death!!!! The stairs in the main part of the house didn't have any railing nor did the second story, and one night our friend Bobby fell from the second story - than God he didn't get hurt! There was a big old swimming pool in the back of the house, all cracked and decayed. There was a really old metal merry go round for kids. There was an old servant quarters, which had a hole in the ground, where the mechanic could go in to work on the old cars. There was also a building that we think was an old school house. There was also a brick silo on the property. We used to absolutely love going to that place! We got in from the church property, because there was a hole in the fence and we would crawl through. We found a lot of old motorcycle parts and junk, remnants of the bikers who used to hang out there and party. In the basement of the old house was a long narrow hall that led to a metal door which was some type of private vault. We always thought of it as a haunted house, and after we would visit, we were always scared to death! Such great memories, and we were so sad when they tore it down to build - I think - apartments. The brick silo remained, if I can remember correctly.

OMG! I was going to ask you if you remember, or knew about this place! We used to go there in high school, and we used to call it the Wayside Mansion. It was so scary. A lot of the neighborhood kids would go lurking around the property at night and we would scare each other to death!!!! The stairs in the main part of the house didn't have any railing nor did the second story, and one night our friend Bobby fell from the second story - than God he didn't get hurt! There was a big old swimming pool in the back of the house, all cracked and decayed. There was a really old metal merry go round for kids. There was an old servant quarters, which had a hole in the ground, where the mechanic could go in to work on the old cars. There was also a building that we think was an old school house. There was also a brick silo on the property. We used to absolutely love going to that place! We got in from the church property, because there was a hole in the fence and we would crawl through. We found a lot of old motorcycle parts and junk, remnants of the bikers who used to hang out there and party. In the basement of the old house was a long narrow hall that led to a metal door which was some type of private vault. We always thought of it as a haunted house, and after we would visit, we were always scared to death! Such great memories, and we were so sad when they tore it down to build - I think - apartments. The brick silo remained, if I can remember correctly.

I only got to go inside the place that one time with the church party but we drove by it every day. My mom lived in the royal wayside apartments when she and my step dad first got married in 1963 and this was just a short walk from the sims estate. I would walk down there.. which I was NOT suppose to do and try to peek in the gate. I never could see much. I just keep hoping someone will somehow come up with a photo.

• Like 1

Sorry about the pictures. They load just fine on my computer, so I'm a little confused. I used the "insert image" button in the reply window and inserted the URL like it asked me to. Do I need to do something special, like change http to https? Please advise.

Anyway, here are the links to the photos if you are still having trouble seeing them:

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm...os/driveway.jpg

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm.../gardenpath.jpg

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm...tos/mansion.jpg

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm...tos/stables.jpg

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm...Photos/pond.jpg

http://www.houstoncountryclubplace.netfirm...ouseandpool.jpg

• 2 months later...

I while back someone posted a site that had pics of the Simms Estate. The pics were in a neighborhood newsletter on the internet from Country Club subdivision. They had lots of history about the subdivision. Ive searched the forum and cant find hide nor hair of that old post. Can anyone help?

I while back someone posted a site that had pics of the Simms Estate. The pics were in a neighborhood newsletter on the internet from Country Club subdivision. They had lots of history about the subdivision. Ive searched the forum and cant find hide nor hair of that old post. Can anyone help?

Brought up again under East End Structures and Mansions of Near East End with funny stories.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have any knowledge of what may have been an old Southern plantation, or a very old plantation-like home, that once occupied the area just south of the intersection of Polk and Wayside? I grew up just west of that area (Jefferson and Henninger) and seem to recall at least one old and dilapidated stucture, covered by dense foliage and surrounded by several really old trees, back in that general area. Back in those days (mid 60's) I would ride my bike all along the railroad tracks, from Jefferson up to Polk, then scoot over to that area around Wayside. It was maybe some time between '64 and '67 that I discovered the place.

I distinctly remember thinking that the place seemed kind of spooky and that I probably shouldn't be there, but my natural curiosity always got the best of me, so I kept going back until I either lost interest or forgot about it. One thing that really stood out about the place, aside from it's creepy feeling, was the row of shanty-style houses that occupied the lot. If memory serves me well, I think there was a manor home, as well. At least it looked to my young eyes like a smallish Southern plantation-style manor home. What I considered back then, and still do this day, was that the place had once been either a prominent manor house with multiple guest quarters, or it was a slave plantation, or both.

Now I admit that my memory may be somewhat clouded, or perhaps even totally off-track, but from time to time I have such vivid dreams of that place that I will wake up and think "Wow! Why do I keep thinking of that place after all these years?"

If anyone has any information, I would love to hear about it--one way or another. Thanks.

Edited by RobNPhx

I agree, RobN is probably remembering the Simms estate. We used to go there in groups during High School and just snoop around. It was dangerous I'm sure, but we didn't know that then. I think it caught fire a few times and finally burnt to the ground sometime in 1970 or 71.

If you enter the Fiesta parking lot off of Wayside and notice the palm trees in the landscaping traffic island, they are orginal to the Simms estate.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I was never aware of the Simm's Estate's existence, but that would sound about right. I don't believe it was a part of the Country Club, but I was so young that...well...who knows? Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

There is a woman in HCCP who has done extensive research on the Simms family estate. I met her once at a superneighborhood meeting when they were held in the Villa de Matel. She has photos too. If someone was truly interested, they could probably contact the HCCP civic club for more information. She may no longer be alive but I believe she may have written an article about it for their newsletter. IIRC her name may have been Virginia or Veronica.

I initially thought that the OP was talking about the property directly across Wayside from the intersection with Polk. That would have been the country club.

Apparently he meant the area closer to Lawndale.

In the 70s, my sister lived in the apartments at 1010 S. Wayside. They were pretty nice then. I did not live in the area at that time but I do remember a frat house that sat back from the street, right next to the Royal Wayside Apartments. It was a very large plantation like house. It would have been between the apartments and what is now the elementary school. I often wondered about it but was not curious enough to do any research.

Edited by little frau

No doubt you are referring to the estate built by Col. Edward F. Simms c. 1910. There is some information on this estate somewhere on this site. He named the house "Wayside" thereby giving the name "Wayside" to the street on which it was located. As I recall, it was one of the first houses in the Houston area with a swimming pool.

As a young person, I went past the house many times (probably on my way to Sears).

Edward F. Simms of Kentucky came to Houston about 1901 and made his fortune at Spindletop. In 1912 he decided to build a Mansion on his newly purchased 210 acre estate, which he called Wayside. His estate was located between Polk on the north, the original Houston Country Club Golf Course site (1908 – 1956) on the east, Yates Gulley on the west and Lawndale on the south.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any knowledge of what may have been an old Southern plantation, or a very old plantation-like home, that once occupied the area just south of the intersection of Polk and Wayside? I grew up just west of that area (Jefferson and Henninger) and seem to recall at least one old and dilapidated stucture, covered by dense foliage and surrounded by several really old trees, back in that general area. Back in those days (mid 60's) I would ride my bike all along the railroad tracks, from Jefferson up to Polk, then scoot over to that area around Wayside. It was maybe some time between '64 and '67 that I discovered the place.

I distinctly remember thinking that the place seemed kind of spooky and that I probably shouldn't be there, but my natural curiosity always got the best of me, so I kept going back until I either lost interest or forgot about it. One thing that really stood out about the place, aside from it's creepy feeling, was the row of shanty-style houses that occupied the lot. If memory serves me well, I think there was a manor home, as well. At least it looked to my young eyes like a smallish Southern plantation-style manor home. What I considered back then, and still do this day, was that the place had once been either a prominent manor house with multiple guest quarters, or it was a slave plantation, or both.

Now I admit that my memory may be somewhat clouded, or perhaps even totally off-track, but from time to time I have such vivid dreams of that place that I will wake up and think "Wow! Why do I keep thinking of that place after all these years?"

If anyone has any information, I would love to hear about it--one way or another. Thanks.

The mansion & a Church were located on what is now an elementary school property located just North of the intersection of Lawndale & Wayside...a few short blocks from the Fwy. & near Idylwood & Country Cub Place. Loving old houses, I always wanted to see inside. Don't know who owned/lived there. The Church was beautiful as well. If memory serves me correctly that Church merged with thel Church on corner of Dismuke & Gulf Fwy at Telephone Rd. This Church also was closed for a while recently, now I'm seeing work being done. A sign was being put up. Anyone know anything about it? I had kinda thought the Church on Dismuke/Fwy. would be bought & used as a private school for the area because of it's convenient location. Always loved the stone on the Church. Sad most of the old Churchs & old large homes are disappearing. There is still a plantation style home in the Forest Hills area by Forest Park Cemetery & overlooked the bayou. It had been for sale several yrs ago. Need to drive by & see if it's been updated or ?

• 2 weeks later...

The Simms Estate was featured in a research article, in the Houston Country Club Place Newsletter. It had many great local history articles of that particular area. And nice photographs. You could read the articles on-line at the HCCP newsletter site. I recently tried, and could not access the information, anymore. Maybe they will publish the material. It's really great research data. I wrote the elected officials about the information, never got a reply.

I had no idea that large estate stood on that property. I grew up passing by it, and visiting a relative in HCCP. I also was never aware of the mansion overlooking the bayou, on Pasadena St. Wish my grandmothers were around, to ask, or my great Uncle Curtis. They date back to the area, as far as 1910, at least. One of our old family houses (sold years ago) sits across from TelWink grill. Old letters talk of the building of the Electric Railway to Galveston.

• 3 years later...

My Grandmother (almost 90) grew up in Houston in a place she always called the Simm's Estate. She spent her entire young life there. Her mother was the maid and her father was the butler. The little house on the property wasn't a school house like I've heard some ppl speculate but the home of my grandmother and her family. She had a brother and sister also. Her father ended up running off with the Simm's hired nanny when she was a young child. After that Mrs Simms and my great grandmother became best friends. My great grandmother stayed devoted to them. We have many of the Simm's heirlooms including a silver tea set and tea spoons the family often used. I'm certain I have seen pictures and could try to find them to post. My grandmother kept many of those things. I will try in the next week or so to go threw her photos and see what I can find if anyone is interested still!

• Like 1