Let's put TSU in the haves by turning it into a sattelite school of the A&M or UT systems.

Of course, keep the name...

Either Texas Southern A&M University

Or University of Texas at Texas Southern University

I don't think it's about have and have-nots. Your comments are misplaced and misleading. If TSU administrators had access to more money, they would have just mismanaged and pilfered that money too. Quite frankly, I think your comment is representative of the types of excuses used by TSU Administrators and the school's "blind" supporters. I alluded to this in an earlier post. The school will never improve as long as the "we're just being picked on because we're a black school" excuses are brought up every time legitimate problems are raised.

Being an African American myself, i can understand why they'd want to preserve the HBCU as it currently is. While I definitely think that the leaders of the school are crooked, we shouldn't split hairs. It's not just TSU that's doing it. UofH is able to hide its assets and expenditures better because its a larger University with several branches. All in all, i think everyone is crooked in some sort of fashion. Some people are just better at hiding it than others and some people just simply haven't been caught. Doesn't mean its not happening elsewhere so don't be fooled.

P.S. Anybody remember greystone08? He went to TSU. I sure wish i could get a take on how he feels about this.

tierwestah "tommy" jones

Texas Southern is pretty much one of the largest black universities in the USA and it was the first in Texas, opened as a result of a U.S. Supreme Court case. We should do everything we can to keep it independent. I think it's possible, if we fill the board of regents with financial managers we can improve the situation. If not then it won't be that bad to be under a major state system.

Now you're saying that UH is as corupt as TSU? Give us some proof or retract your statement. Playing the race card at UH doesn't work since UH is the MOST diverse Major University in the US if not the world.

That is interesting to know. A lot of schools are claiming that though.

Diversity.

Lots of folks are proud of it, but that are many out there who doesn't seem to mind the lack of diversity in their schools, even when the schools are located in very diverse cities.

Edited by webdude

• 1 month later...

March 26, 2007, 2:01PM

Parking garage closes after TSU fails to pay

By MATTHEW TRESAUGUE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A private developer shuttered one of Texas Southern University's newly constructed parking garages and shuttle service today after the financially troubled school stopped paying its bills.

The move left students and faculty and staff members scrambling at the commuter campus, while the $34 million project is at risk of default.

The Integrity Group made the decision less than three years into a 30-year lease with the university, which hired the Cleveland, Ohio-based company to construct and manage the parking garages and six-shuttle service.

The rest of the article is here.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all!

I discovered this thread while searching the web and found your conversation very relevant...

Just recently took 8 students to the AMHPS symposium in Orlando, FL. It was a wreck from the moment we stepped into the hotel! For those of you who do not know of this symposium, it's touted as being a conference to help influence our young HS and fresh/soph college students into considering the medical or health fields as a possible career/study choice.

It is also run by and exclusively influenced by the HBCU's. Don't want to go into great detail of the utter sub-standard quality of the conference, but none of my students will be attending a HBCU after that experience. A couple of glaring problems with the conference:

1. ONLY HBCU's represented (as if minorities in the health field was not limited enough)

2. Only 2-3 of the HBCU's had medicals schools????? 95+ of students were interested in medical school, but got an inordinate amount of information about Veterinary Medicine????

3. Very little or no qualitative/professional information provided concerning the fields

4. TOO much recruiting slant! It seemed to be a symposium designed more to recruit students to attend HBCU than about motivating students to enter medical fields

5. Speakers, presenters were very uninteresting

Goodness, i could go on, but will spare you all. The nice thing was that the symposium paid for the air transportation, hotel and food. Imagine, 600 students....that's a lot of money! Wasted!

I was approached by a recruiter from Texas Southern asking if we would like her to visit our school (Private school north of Dallas). After the conference and the troubles with Texas Southern, I won't be giving her a call and besides, I don't believe it would be worth her while.

HBCU's, unfortunately, are a mess. Save for a handful of schools, most of the HBCU's are a reflection of just how low we as a people have gone to accommodate our educational needs. Absence of SAT/ACT requirements, lower GPAs, substandard facilities, cronism among the adminstrative ranks, mismanagement, etc.

:(

Richard

• 5 months later...

Is there some unwritten rule for this forum, that I don't know about, which pertains to discussing scandals at TSU? I don't understand how one of the biggest stories in the city, right now. . .former TSU president Priscilla Slade's trial is not being discussed here. What gives?

Did you know she spent forty THOUSAND (American) dollars ($40,000.00) on a dining set, and had the nerve to use TSU's tax exempt status to shirk paying taxes on the purchase? I think she'll be eating off of plastic trays where she's going.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5127403.html

My European History teacher from the 12th grade (he also served as my 10th grade World History teacher and my 9th grade Sociology/World Religions teacher) explained that Slade created real improvements at TSU and then decided "Oh, in return for that, I'll take a cool 400,000 dollars!"

Slade should be "pilloried" in front of all of the students of TSU once her conviction is made.

As for TSU, it should be taken over by the University of Texas system and renamed "Southern University of Texas."

Edited by VicMan

I have yet to see any students upset with Slade.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5095996.html - "TSU students criticize Slade" - August 30, 2007

"Two students credited with the eventual downfall of TSU President Priscilla Slade testified today in her criminal trial that she cared more about spending money on her home than security for the historically black university.

Justin R. Jordan and Oliver J. Brown said they worked for Slade's ouster by writing letters, which were distributed across campus. Together with William G. Hudson, the group known as the "TSU Three" sued the school in 2005 for retaliation for publicly criticizing the administration of Texas Southern University."

Edited by VicMan

Richard...keep spoiling your kids and send them to schools where reality isn't the norm....I just hope you aren't black...

TSU provided my father with an education, he owns a successful business nearing the 30-year mark and my mom and I received an HBCU education and are doing just fine...

Problem with TSU is they use the buddy system in hiring and that's what got them in trouble....whites still have an influence in their board selections and created the mess they are in now. You get what you pay for...

I have yet to see any students upset with Slade.

You could get an earful from my wife.

I hope TSU can get itself straightened out. Slade seemed to have TSU on the right path until we found out about her long-term theft from the school.

Problem is, the ones who are hurt most by the scandals are the ones who have no ability to control it: the students.

I see nothing wrong with putting TSU under the supervision of another school system (UH/A&M/UT/etc), but there's no need to shut it down or merge it with another school, as some suggest. TSU needs one hell of a leader.

Richard...keep spoiling your kids and send them to schools where reality isn't the norm....I just hope you aren't black...

TSU provided my father with an education, he owns a successful business nearing the 30-year mark and my mom and I received an HBCU education and are doing just fine...

Problem with TSU is they use the buddy system in hiring and that's what got them in trouble....whites still have an influence in their board selections and created the mess they are in now. You get what you pay for...

HCBU: Maybe UT System can help TSU change its management so it can get back on its feet. I would love to see TSU expand so that it becomes a lot like UT Arlington/UT Dallas/UT San Antonio, etc. It can still remain open enrollment or partially open enrollment until the students go above capacity.

HBCU's were designed to serve a purpose and that purpose is still needed in my opinion....blacks technically weren't attractive to the big state schools until they found a way to exploit us through athletic endeavors and that holds true to this day.

If you can run the ball, pass the minimum NCAA standards (way lower than the standard admission) you have a free ticket to A&M and UT while the kid who bust his butt with a GPA not high enough to gain an academic 'ship is left in the cold. To make matters worse, UT and A&M have majors designed for athletes to keep them eligible which doesn't even belong in some schools.

If those schools were admitting blacks in by those standards who can't run the ball then I have no problem and will say maybe some HBCUs could change missions. However, that's not happening

• 1 year later...

Yeah, they were talking about it on NPR this morning. Some kind of suburban gang dispute. Makes me want to not take the Columbia Tap Rail-To-Trail bike path.

CHRON:

TSU police blamed the shooting on a rivalry between two gangs — one from Missouri City and the other from Fresno.

Makes me not want to travel Hwy 6.

CHRON:

Among the hosts of the community rally was Houston City Councilman Peter Brown, who is running for mayor in November's election.

Now that he's been in a drive-by, does that mean we should give him props on crime issues?

Now that he's been in a drive-by, does that mean we should give him props on crime issues?

He probably wasn't there. I've met him plenty of times at various events and know his MO pretty well. He pops in for a few minutes before folks start speaking, makes the rounds, and makes a discrete exit. If he's a speaker or is introducing a speaker, he leaves immediately after he's done and provides no opportunity for Q&A, whether formal or informal.

The guy's got no class. Mayors White and Lanier make themselves approachable by others. Peter Brown approaches you, and then only on his terms.

• Like 1

He probably wasn't there. I've met him plenty of times at various events and know his MO pretty well. He pops in for a few minutes before folks start speaking, makes the rounds, and makes a discrete exit. If he's a speaker or is introducing a speaker, he leaves immediately after he's done and provides no opportunity for Q&A, whether formal or informal.

The guy's got no class. Mayors White and Lanier make themselves approachable by others. Peter Brown approaches you, and then only on his terms.

I don't see how popping in and out of an event means he has no class. Popping in and out is typical of any politician. They have multiple events every evening, they make their appearance, say a few words and discretely leave. I'm not arguing for or against Brown; I don't know enough about him (except he supported our efforts to get trash cans at Calumet Lofts a few years ago, which of course I appreciated). Just saying it's not unusual or bad behavior.

Popping in and out is typical of any politician.

You ought to be more cautious about making categorical statements of fact. I cited examples of two recent mayors of Houston that when they've shown up to the same events as I have, have remained there for the duration. They promptly leave when the event is over, but not before because that is rude. They are persons of honor but are approachable.

Why?

It is rude to show up, make the rounds among particular individuals, perhaps give an introduction, and then leave as soon as possible because it indicates that a person doesn't really have any interest in the subject matter that brought that group of people together, yet is disingenuously feigning interest for their own personal gain.

It is rude to show up, make the rounds among particular individuals, perhaps give an introduction, and then leave as soon as possible because it indicates that a person doesn't really have any interest in the subject matter that brought that group of people together, yet is disingenuously feigning interest for their own personal gain.

Couldn't a person stay for just some of the event? Why do they have to stay until they close the doors? This seems like a very rigorous definition of rude.

Couldn't a person stay for just some of the event? Why do they have to stay until they close the doors? This seems like a very rigorous definition of rude.

As someone who literally has a tendency to stay until they close the doors, let me just say that I don't mind someone who leaves just as soon as the presentations have been made. Frankly, I don't even mind it when someone randomly ducks out during the middle of a conversation...scheduling is tricky, and sometimes its only possible to stay for a little while. I'm a guy who is very willing to provide the benefit of the doubt. It's the habitual nature of someone who ducks out as soon as they're able to, clearly because they don't have an interest in the subject matter being presented. That's what ticks me off. They're feigning interest. They aren't contributing to any sort of group dialogue. Their face is not unlike one of the billboards that they have so actively fought to eliminate.