For the past 25 years Texas Southern University has been a joke. The school has no real admission standards (no ACT or SAT required for entry), its administrators are constantly caught up in verifiable scandal, and the school is constantly in financial trouble. The article below id further evidence of this. The alumni who have gone on to succeed after graduation have probably done so IN SPITE OF, rather than because of the value of a Texas Southern University Degree. Barbara Jordan would be outraged and probably hanging her head low right now. I challenge all TSU alumni, administrators, faculty, students, and Houstonians in general to show some pride and demand better from this institution, otherwise I'm all for a "hostile takeover" by U of H or another state school. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Jan. 26, 2007, 12:58AM

Perry orders regents to fix TSU finances

'Not happy' with the officials, governor gives them up to 45 days to plan

By POLLY ROSS HUGHES AND MATTHEW TRESAUGUE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN — Startled by the depth of Texas Southern University's multimillion-dollar financial woes, Gov. Rick Perry has ordered its board of regents to start making "tough decisions" to fix the problems or resign.

"It can't be a Mickey Mouse deal," Perry spokesman Robert Black told the Houston Chronicle on Thursday. "It can't be a Band-Aid."

In private meetings last week, Perry demanded that TSU's regents come up with a concrete plan within 30-45 days to start fixing problems plaguing the university's finances this year.

Next week, the terms of three of TSU's nine regents expire, giving Perry the opportunity to name new members.

Perry also plans to announce a blue-ribbon panel that will develop a long-term plan for TSU, including defining its academic mission.

One fear, which the governor's office said it hopes to avoid, is that TSU would be merged into another university.

Houston Democrats Sen. Rodney Ellis and Rep. Garnet Coleman underscored the importance of protecting the historically black university and keeping it independent. They noted its long history in shaping Houston's black middle class.

"TSU is in the neighborhood where I grew up. It isn't just an institution I represent," Coleman said. "It's more than that. TSU represents some of the best of black Texas and black Houston."

Ellis said he is a graduate of the university, along with political notables including the late U.S. Reps. Barbara Jordan and Mickey Leland and lawyer and former U.S. Congressman Craig Washington.

Ellis, complaining that Texas' two historically black universities have been underfunded since their inception, said he hopes Perry's actions will prove positive for TSU.

"I'm glad he's stepping up to the plate," he said. "Let's hope he's correcting that historical wrong."

Yet, with TSU asking the Legislature for millions in emergency funds and financial help while its money matters are "in shambles," Black said, lawmakers are apt to lose patience.

"It can't be the same old, same old. They're going to have to make the hard decisions to correct these issues," he said. . .

Read the rest of the article here.

Edited by 713 To 214
  • Like 1

Could UH or someone take over but keep the TSU name? Ya know, just run the place and guide it, while still reeping the benefits. Would they consider that or is that just bad marketing strategy? I'm just asking since if they did that, they could keep the black heritage.

The best thing for TSU is to remain independent. Slade needs some serious jail time, though.

I don't understand the need for black colleges, but I guess they are here to staty.

I agree. I don't think we need them either. But I'm not black, so maybe I'm missing something.

And I was just presenting the possibilites if this is in fact the route it could go, and if so, if it's a good option.

Well to me the practice is racist. any other universities for any other "specific" group?

I agree somewhat. I think/wonder if it's because they feel like they need to stick together, when in reality, 99% of America already accepts them just like they accept any other color of people.

Oh goodness. HBCU's were started because blacks would not be accepted at any other college so they started their own. That said, any race could still go to those schools. We could probably say systems like these are not needed anymore but they will always be HBCU's historically. Why take it away?

Well to me the practice is racist. any other universities for any other "specific" group?

That's an ignorant statement! One doesn't have to be black to attend. In fact, there are a number of students representing different races, creeds, and colors, currently in attendance. I'm sure that you would be accepted if you applied. The point however, is that regardless of who attends, the culture of corruption and mismanagement is pervasive throughout the administration of the school, and is continuously reflected in embarrassing ways (i.e. nationally reported scandals, abysmal bar/board passage rates, low graduation rates, sub-standard facilities, etc.)

disclaimer: I am not an Alumnist of this school, and have no interest in it other than to stop reading about its embarrassing stories over and over again.

<supplemental edit>

Edited by 713 To 214

I say let U of H take over TSU, or A&M. TSU will forever be in debt, cause first their not trustworthy on the job. They always stealing. When money comes in for the school, they spend so much and pocket the rest (look at North Forest School District. The poorest school district in Texas, and they always stealing).

I'm not saying close TSU down, but if they don't make no finiancal changes, the state will take over leaving U of H, or A&M to take things over. Hell, I would rather U of H take it over, cause they're across the street from each other.

That's an ignorant statement! One doesn't have to be black to attend.

But it appears that they've lowered admission requirements so that blacks would attend, I suppose thinking that, if they had normal university admission requirements, it would no longer be a "black" college, and possibly no longer exist.

Sounds like they've been running a community college and they've run it into the ground.

But it appears that they've lowered admission requirements so that blacks would attend, I suppose thinking that, if they had normal university admission requirements, it would no longer be a "black" college, and possibly no longer exist.

Your statement, on its face, appears. . .well, rather prejudiced. However, I understand where you're coming from.

Here's my take on it. Part of the school's mission is to provide an opportunity for a higher education to students who would otherwise not get such an opportunity. Those students can and do come from all over the country and the world, no matter what race, color or creed. However, a vast majority are black and come from Texas. Instead of raising the standards of the school in order to compete with the best of the best, I think the common attitude of the administration (with few exception) is to use the fact that "it's a black school" as a crutch and excuse not to do better. IMHO, TSU, for the better part of the past two decades, has been existence to benefit a small few, at the expense of a great many who deserve better.

That's an ignorant statement! One doesn't have to be black to attend. In fact, there are a number of students representing different races, creeds, and colors, currently in attendance.

I didn't say you had to be black to attend but they sure do promote themselves as catering to the black community. Unfortunately instead of doing a service to the black community, they are doing a disservice.

Your statement, on its face, appears. . .well, rather prejudiced. However, I understand where you're coming from.

Here's my take on it. Part of the school's mission is to provide an opportunity for a higher education to students who would otherwise not get such an opportunity. Those students can and do come from all over the country and the world, no matter what race, color or creed. However, a vast majority are black and come from Texas. Instead of raising the standards of the school in order to compete with the best of the best, I think the common attitude of the administration (with few exception) is to use the fact that "it's a black school" as a crutch and excuse not to do better. IMHO, TSU, for the better part of the past two decades, has been existence to benefit a small few, at the expense of a great many who deserve better.

I don't know the inside story at this school, just the tidbits I've picked up here. What it appears to me is that they've been operating a community college paying university salaries, all because catering to their target student population is more important than all else, and that wouldn't seem like a smart business decision.

Is it being "prejudiced" to see it that way? It's time for true equality, including equality in the ability to be criticized freely when warranted.

I don't understand the need for black colleges, but I guess they are here to staty.

Where's the outrage about the "white" colleges?

Texas A&M undergrads are 79% white, 3% black.

TSU is 85% black, 2% white. (based on total enrollment...couldn't find stats for undergrads only).

Sounds about the same to me...No one's trying to shut down Texas A&M, even though it's a "historically white college". Why do we need these "white" colleges? :blink:

Fact is, both schools are slowly diversifying. I'd get over the black school/white school thing and focus on TSU improving its financial stability.

Of course, if TSU got to share in the PUF like A&M does, finances wouldn't be a problem. I'm more interested in breaking up the financial discrimination of the PUF...we have a system of "haves" and "have-nots" in higher education in Texas: the UT and A&M systems are the "haves" and every one else is a "have-not".

Texas A&M undergrads are 79% white, 3% black.

TSU is 85% black, 2% white. (based on total enrollment...couldn't find stats for undergrads only).

To be fair I think that is kind of p.c. I think the comment was just based in ignorance as far as "black schools". It is also very p.c. to wonder why the black population is so high and why there are not that many whites. It is the same for almost every HBCU. If one answered their own question "Why?" they would see it is not TSU's fault as far as diversity.

Edited by WesternGulf

If I was Perry, I would have ordered TSU to either join UH or marry A&M, UT, or Texas Tech (systems) and become a member school.

I foresee the UH/TSU area becoming a hip "college town"-ish area.

We could even open a Jimmy John's near both schools.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=4972336

taken from the story

And as we first reported Tuesday, the school's tennis program has been suspended after allegations of unpaid scholarships. Many players claim they were promised a full ride by the tennis coach, but never saw a cent.

^How embarrassing!

The biggest deficit number reported in all the TSU stories is their $54 million deferred maintenance cost.

However, as Isaiah Carey reported on Fox 26 last night, TSU is not the only state school with high deferred maintenance costs. Apparently the State Legislature keeps telling state universities that there is not sufficient state funding to pay for these maintenance items.

Here's a sample of the deferred maintenance numbers from several state universities:

UT-Austin - $85 million

Texas A&M - $63 million

TSU - $54 million

UH - $37 million

UNT - $18 million

Funny that we haven't heard any reports of UT-Austin or Texas A&M regents losing their jobs over these numbers.

In addition, it was reported that TSU's Athletics program is running a deficit of $2 million per year. News flash: TSU is FAR from the only school in the country whose athletics dept is in the red. It's reported that there are maybe 15 NCAA Division I athletics programs (out of more than 100) that actually make a profit. Obviously TSU is not alone in losing money on sports. I wish my alma mater, UH, only lost $2 million a year on athletics.

While I agree that TSU does need an great improvement in its leadership, I think a lot of this is hyped just because it's an HBCU.

Most importantly, the ones who suffer most from all of this are the hard-working students who are trying to better themselves and have little to no control over the management of their school. I think the general public is equating the fiscal mismanagement of TSU with the quality of a TSU diploma, and that's unfair.

My wife is currently a TSU student, and because of, or in spite of, her TSU education, she already has job offers from 2 of the nation's top 5 accounting firms. [/proud husband mode]

The thing, though, is that there are more dollars per undergrad for TSU than UT.

TSU has about 9,585 undergrads.

UT Austin has 36,878.

A&M in College Station has 36,580.

UH has 26,959.

The biggest deficit number reported in all the TSU stories is their $54 million deferred maintenance cost.

However, as Isaiah Carey reported on Fox 26 last night, TSU is not the only state school with high deferred maintenance costs. Apparently the State Legislature keeps telling state universities that there is not sufficient state funding to pay for these maintenance items.

Here's a sample of the deferred maintenance numbers from several state universities:

UT-Austin - $85 million

Texas A&M - $63 million

TSU - $54 million

UH - $37 million

UNT - $18 million

Funny that we haven't heard any reports of UT-Austin or Texas A&M regents losing their jobs over these numbers.

The thing, though, is that there are more dollars per undergrad for TSU than UT.

TSU has about 9,585 undergrads.

UT Austin has 36,878.

A&M in College Station has 36,580.

UH has 26,959.

Yeah, but how many $$$ per student do UT-Austin and Texas A&M get from the state (INCLUDING THE PUF $$$), compared to to TSU and UH?

Those schools get a lot of extra $$$ that no other state school gets (I'm talking many tens of millions per year).

Of course, if TSU got to share in the PUF like A&M does, finances wouldn't be a problem. I'm more interested in breaking up the financial discrimination of the PUF...we have a system of "haves" and "have-nots" in higher education in Texas: the UT and A&M systems are the "haves" and every one else is a "have-not".

Oh come on. TSU has not been able to responsibly manage what money it has been given in decades. I'm not saying that TSU isn't underfunded, because I believe that it probably is. But the fact remains that the school has an abysmal record of fiscal responsibility, and is one of the worst performers in higher education in Texas when it comes to the academic side of the house. Poor funding is only a small piece of the problem. Until the core management issues that start at the level of the Board of Regents are solved, no amount of money is going to solve TSU's problems. The fact remains that TSU operates in a culture that encourages poor performance and no accountability. I can't go into too much detail here, but TSU is a client of my company's and I know a lot about what goes on there. The state seriously needs to consider getting TSU brought under another university system. The Texas State University system is probably a good place, simply because it would allow TSU to retain a certain degree of independence (name, culture, etc.) but put a more responsible Board in charge of overseeing the university's operations. I know there are a lot of strong feelings about TSU in the black community in Houston, and for that reason I'm all for not making TSU into something like a Texas A&M-Southeast Houston. But on the other hand, the community leaders in Houston need to stop making excuses for TSU and people like Dr. Slade, and instead demand excellence from this institution. Given TSU's history over the last few decades, the community and alumni should be completely embarrassed, because TSU has done very little to make anyone proud.

I don't think it's about have and have-nots. Your comments are misplaced and misleading. If TSU administrators had access to more money, they would have just mismanaged and pilfered that money too. Quite frankly, I think your comment is representative of the types of excuses used by TSU Administrators and the school's "blind" supporters. I alluded to this in an earlier post. The school will never improve as long as the "we're just being picked on because we're a black school" excuses are brought up every time legitimate problems are raised.

Edited by 713 To 214