Recommend Houston-Area Churches For Photography

ZeroTX

Hi all,

I'm new to this site... but I'm glad I found a source for finding architecture to photograph. My favorite thing is churches. Big, small, I like them all. I've photographed mostly Catholic churches -- primarily because they are usually a) open B) ornate and c) most of the big churches (e.g. cathedrals) are Catholic. However, I'm also interested in protestant churches for photographing. I will definitely be visiting the Episcopal church noted in another thread here.

However, does anyone have a short (or long) list of "must photograph" churches in the Houston vicinity? This could include Galveston and pretty much any place I can drive on a Saturday from my house in Spring. If it's not a Catholic church, then any info on hours, etc, would be nice as most non-Catholic churches are not unlocked for worshippers except during services. My preference is beautiful AND historic, but merely beautiful or merely historic are both just fine!

I only recently purchased an SLR camera, so my pictures are all very "work-in-progress" in nature to this point. In fact, some of them were taken with a really, really cheap $99 2.0megapixel Kodak.... but it's a learning process, right?... I figure if I can learn at "home" (Houston), all the better! I don't have much invested yet in lenses, but I want to get out there and photograph some stuff :)

It's too bad we don't have structures with the history, beauty or scale of this....

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, Missouri... summer '05

122411260-L.jpg

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, Missouri, fall '04

118350419-L.jpg

Please pass them on!

-Michael

st. martins: the galleria area

the catholic church: downtown (hurry up before they tear it down for parking for the one currently u/c)

church near minute maid park (not sure of denomination)

church/ cathedral kitty corner to fine arts museum. (not sure of denomination)

first united methodist: downtown (near exxon building)

unity (hilcroft area...big pyramid thingie)

church next door to enron building.

that STL church reminds me of st. pauls in london.

st. martins: the galleria area

the catholic church: downtown (hurry up before they tear it down for parking for the one currently u/c)

Sacred Heart

church near minute maid park (not sure of denomination)

Annunciation - catholic

church/ cathedral kitty corner to fine arts museum. (not sure of denomination)

St Paul's united Methodist i believe.

first united methodist: downtown (near exxon building)

unity (hilcroft area...big pyramid thingie)

church next door to enron building.

that STL church reminds me of st. pauls in london.

It is beautiful inside. I went a few yrs ago as well.

I would probably add christ church cathedral as well.

Oh yes, the inside of the St. Louis Cathedral is gorgeous. It is floor to ceiling tile mosaics. Millions of tiles in thousands of colors. The mosaic work took some 70 years to complete and there are three distinctly different chapels located within the church itself, along with the main church. Each of the 3 chapels is uniquely decorated with tile and mosaics.

My wife has been to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome as well as several other Italian and UK churches, and she felt this was easily in the top 5. The construction is stone, not concrete (late 1800's build) and the scale is just huge. Look at the front view -- the yellow dot on there is my wife sitting on the steps of the church.

Thanks for the recommendations! I knew about Annunciation... I have several inside shots of it already. The others I haven't been to yet, but plan to :)

Do you guys think they will tear down the old Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral? I thought the historic society was going to have it declared a historical monument?

-Michael

Okay, let me complicate this post with some additional challenge:....

How about some small churches, historical churches, run down and abandoned churches, churches that are still open, but look unique or eclectic in some way. Rural churches falling down, rotting, urban churches in ruins or thriving, despite their small stature and unpleasant location.... Things that will make for interesting photos, of course... thought-provoking ones.

I'm not trying to be lazy, I just don't get around Houston much other than home -> work and back (Spring to Jersey Village via I-45 and BW8. I never get into the "inner city" or rural areas and my career doesn't allow me to even leave during lunch :(

Thanks,

Michael

South Main Baptist Church is a favorite of mine. I like the geometry.

SouthMainBaptist-003.jpg

As for abandoned and rotting churches, just drive around -- you'll find dozens. Head east on Gray from downtown and roam the neighborhoods. Go north of the bayou on Main Street and do the same. Houston is pockmarked by DIY churches in various states of repair and many of them are quite photogenic.

Okay, let me complicate this post with some additional challenge:....

How about some small churches, historical churches, run down and abandoned churches, churches that are still open, but look unique or eclectic in some way. Rural churches falling down, rotting, urban churches in ruins or thriving, despite their small stature and unpleasant location.... Things that will make for interesting photos, of course... thought-provoking ones.

I'm not trying to be lazy, I just don't get around Houston much other than home -> work and back (Spring to Jersey Village via I-45 and BW8. I never get into the "inner city" or rural areas and my career doesn't allow me to even leave during lunch :(

Thanks,

Michael

there are several in 3rd ward that area old and interesting. i believe there's one on live oak i'm thinkin about

• 2 weeks later...
How about some small churches, historical churches, run down and abandoned churches, churches that are still open, but look unique or eclectic in some way.

Check out the small country churches west of Houston in the La Grange and Schulenberg area. They all date to the 19th and early 20th centuries. Collectively they're known as The Painted Churches of Texas. They're only an hour and a half from Houston, and well worth a day trip to see. They're incredibly beautiful and you'll never regret taking the time.

Here's a link: http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTo...hurchesTour.htm

• 2 weeks later...

St. Vladimir Russian Orthodox Church on E. Tidwell.

http://www.stvladimir.org/

It's a tiny little church chock full of orthodox icons. Click on the link to their picture gallery.

Also, there's a MCM-architecture church downtown. I think it's a Church of Christ or something similar -- but I know there's a thread on this site with beautiful photos of it. If anyone can find it, please post a link.

• 3 weeks later...

Please take a moment to see "Classified section". I create replicas of these type of cathedrals with clock's on smaller scale of course. Perfect for those that love items with a Gothic/Celestial theme. Tell friends and church members/clergy! :)

Some interesting ones to me:

Taoist temple on East Side

St Basils at St Thomas

Buddhist temple on the Gulf Freeway

Buddhist temple in Dickinson

Hindu temple in Pearland

Mormon temple

Christ Scientist (?) on Main - great mid-century mod

St Paul's on Main

Lakewood

Lutheran church on Rice at Greenbriar

Annunciation on Crawford

• 4 weeks later...

This is great, I just googled historic churches Houston and found this site. Wonderful!! because I'm going to start making my rounds taking pictures. We are neighbors, I live in Tomball. Anypoo we have old churches here. Here is one link I found. http://family.webshots.com/photo/2273359320099034237CVoiRA

We have several churches of this type & another one I'm thinking of is just North of Main St. (2920) on 249 on the right. Beautiful. Plus Tomball has a small museum area with a historic church. similar to the one in the picture. I would have to get back to you on the address but its in downtown Tomball not far off of Main St.

I just decided this past week I wanted to photograph the churches of Houston and surrounding areas when I saw this beat-up small church they are trying to keep together on the way to Magnolia off of 249. It's next to their rink-a-dink police dept. (if you can call it that)

There is another or two I can picture but I don't know the addresses.

This thread has been a great help for me to get started. I hope my information is helpful as well.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent slideshow, but is there a way that you can add captions so that we know where all these places are?

I used all of the recommendations from above, with an exception of a couple I didn't get around to. I also drove east of downdown on McGowen St. And a few are from Tomball, such as the 2 men on the porch, Salem Church, and the one that has "God Loves You" are all in walking distance of each other. Tomball has a handful of old churches. I'm soooo glad you liked it!!

It would be excellant everybody who likes the video would rate it for me or leave kudos. :) TY

• 1 month later...

For rural Church's try the "painted" Churchs NW of Houston. Check out Flatonia, Schulenburg & surrounding areas for beautiful old Church's. You may have to make appointment to see them. Brenham & surrounding area has the old Lutheran Church's. In the community of Independence N of Brenham, there is historic Independence Baptist Church where Sam Houston attended for a bried time. He was baptized in the creek near the Church. This area also has ruins of orig Baylor College. Lotz of history there. Pack your lunch & drive.

On Mangum Rd between W 43rd & Pinemont is an old Evangelican Church. [it is now a Hispanic congregation]. There is an old cemetery behind the Church & apartments next door. I've read the history of this Church, think it was in the Leader newspaper. It was founded by the early settlers of the area. If someone has a history of this Church it would be great to see it online.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a short (or long) list of "must photograph" churches in the Houston vicinity? My preference is beautiful AND historic.

Has anybody mentioned Trinity Episcopal Church at Main and Holman in midtown? It was built in 1920 and has some of the most beautiful interior design and stained glass windows to be found anywhere.

The church and its high altar were designed by William Ward Watkin, who designed the original buildings at Rice University, the Julia Ideson Public Library in downtown Houston, and many other important buildings around the state.

Check out Watkin's work and career in the Handbook of Texas.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/WW/fwa91.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might try St. Mark's UMC in The Heights. The congregation dates back to the 1875 German Emmanual Methodist Episcopal Church. It was located at the corner of Hamilton and Preston. They moved to White Street and Lubbock in 1891. In 1925 they moved to Norhill and became the Norhill Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1938, St. Mark's became the first "Unified" Methodist Church in the country (uniting the 'southern' Woodland Heights Methodist Episcopal, South and the 'northern' Norhill Methodist Episcopal Church.

It's a grand building with a stunning sanctuary and rose window in the choir loft. Small church, maybe 250 total membership but quite vibrant and still very active in The Heights. The church is on 600 Pecore Street, 77009

• 2 months later...
Don't leave out St. Michaels on Sage Rd. You have to drive into the parking lot and view it from the east elevation.

I secong that for sure, I am biased though, I went to school there a long time ago. I would also see the whole campus of St. Anne's down the street, it's beautiful also, both churches are great inside and out. For a stunning church, don't miss Sacred Heart CoCathedral in Galveston, it's amazing, and old. And there's another church, don't remember the name, in La Marque I think, very odd looking modernist church. And even though it's a drive, the Mission's in South Texas are great, Goliad and Gonzales aren't too far. There's also a new church in Pearland, Catholic, that is gorgeous inside and pretty nice outside, attended a wedding there, and it was great in there.

Archived