I drive Washington to work and have seen a "Computer Store Coming Soon" sign in the window on a great old store front for the longest time. That sign disappeared a few weeks ago and now there is a sign which says "Dharma Cafe". Could this be a second location of the the Dharma Cafe on Nance Street. I sure hope so.

The location is just out of this camera shot to the left.

Hi Everybody:

This is John Gurney from the Dharma Cafe. We are indeed opnening up a new location on Houston Ave.

We hope to have the new facility up and running by June 1st.

Sue and I are committed to making the new location a better version of Dharma - a little more comfortable, with a full bar, off street parking, etc. - all the little things that we are missing currently.

Top of the list is preserving the "feel" of Dharma, which we think will blossom in the new space.

Unfortunately, Sue and I do not have the ability to keep both locations running so we will be closing the exisiting location on Nance with the move.

I will try to post some news and pictures to our website as work develops at the new site.

Thanks to everyone for all your support and encouragement! I like to brag that we have the best customers in the world.

John & Susan

Dharma Cafe

Please say this isn't so! I love the quaint area where you guy's are now. It seems impossible that this location will keep the charm of the existing restaurant.

Here a pics I took last year including one of the Houston Studio area.

DSC_0402-1.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

Please say this isn't so! I love the quaint area where you guy's are now. It seems impossible that this location will keep the charm of the existing restaurant.

Here a pics I took last year including one of the Houston Studio area.

DSC_0402-1.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

Hi Gary:

There is no question that Dharma in the current manifestation is charming.

But I can asure you the new place will be totally appealing as well. The reality is, we have been at that location on Nance now for 7 years and we have done as much as we can do with the space and resources available.

Susan and I deliberated almost daily on how to expand the current space, and the reality is, it just can't be done in any practical way. Plus the location has major problems with parking,no visibility, etc. On Sunday for example, we typically seat now only to reservation, (meaning, it is nearly impossible to get in with out one)and even then routinely turn away 20 to 25 people each Sunday who call and would like to come, not counting the walk-ins we turn away!

You have my word, that the soul of Dharma will move with us to the new space. And after all, we are not the space, we are people occupying a space, and it is our spirit, and reverence for the food that we will carry with us. That is what will sustain the new location, and dispell your fears.

Namaste

John Gurney

Dharma Cafe

Hi Gary:

There is no question that Dharma in the current manifestation is charming.

But I can asure you the new place will be totally appealing as well. The reality is, we have been at that location on Nance now for 7 years and we have done as much as we can do with the space and resources available.

Susan and I deliberated almost daily on how to expand the current space, and the reality is, it just can't be done in any practical way. Plus the location has major problems with parking,no visibility, etc. On Sunday for example, we typically seat now only to reservation, (meaning, it is nearly impossible to get in with out one)and even then routinely turn away 20 to 25 people each Sunday who call and would like to come, not counting the walk-ins we turn away!

You have my word, that the soul of Dharma will move with us to the new space. And after all, we are not the space, we are people occupying a space, and it is our spirit, and reverence for the food that we will carry with us. That is what will sustain the new location, and dispell your fears.

Namaste

John Gurney

Dharma Cafe

John,

I certainly understand your predicament, I'm just sorry to see the old place go. I've got a friend who lives in the Dakota lofts, and we have enjoyed the food, experience and atmosphere of the restaurant.

I love your attitude with regards to your current and future success and certainly wish you the best. I'll deffinately come to see you at the new location, and get the word out to those I know.

Gary

• 5 years later...

Archived