Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

"Regent Square" sounds like they just pulled it out of the Handbook of Pompous Generic Development Names.

Phase One with 740 residential units and 230,000 SF of retail on two city blocks will start in September 2008 and is scheduled for completion in 2010.

Is Phase One the blocks adjacent to Allen Parkway or the blocks south of West Dallas?

If that's the case, shouldn't The Montrose be called, "The Regent" due the flight of the Queens there? :)

Sorry, I'm feeling silly.

ricco ... I love your posts. This one made me laugh today and that was hard to do considering my back/leg ache. Anyhow, congrats and keep those posts coming. I enjoy a care-free type of poster who also has serious posts as well. Flight of the queens... :lol:

Those crayon drawings flashed on the home page are hilarious. I felt like singing a Sesame Street song.

Nevertheless, the scope of the project certainly isn't small.

Ho hum. The renderings are just so boring and repetitive. Typical cookie cutter urbanism...

...and does it strike anyone as odd that the "West Dallas Market" would be off of W. Dallas Street, but just down the road from the Dallas branch of the Federal Reserve? Some cities have little ethnic enclaves, for instance how we've got a Chinatown. Are we getting a "Little Dallas" neighborhood?

Ho hum. The renderings are just so boring and repetitive. Typical cookie cutter urbanism...

...and does it strike anyone as odd that the "West Dallas Market" would be off of W. Dallas Street, but just down the road from the Dallas branch of the Federal Reserve? Some cities have little ethnic enclaves, for instance how we've got a Chinatown. Are we getting a "Little Dallas" neighborhood?

A West Dallas corridor...

...and does it strike anyone as odd that the "West Dallas Market" would be off of W. Dallas Street, but just down the road from the Dallas branch of the Federal Reserve?

:wacko:

uh-huh. And maybe this is why there are so many sex shops on Westheimer:

180px-Westheimer.jpg

As opposed to what? An esoteric, idiosyncratic postmodern pastiche like the rest of the city?

I guess my part of Park Slope Brooklyn is really called 7th Street, because the deli on the corner is called the 7th Street deli.....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Globe St. article on this development:

Developer Unveils 24-Acre Mixed-Use Plan

By Amy Wolff Sorter

hou_regentsquare.jpg

HOUSTON-A Boston developer will break ground in the fourth quarter on Regent Square, a pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use project. Area sources estimate the all-in development cost for the 24-acre project could come in just under $200 per sf.

Regent Square, which will be constructed in two phases, will consist of 390,000 sf of retail and office space, 200-room boutique hotel and up to 1,800 residential units. The first phase will consist of 230,000 sf of retail and restaurants, 60,000 sf of office, the hotel and 740 residential units. The planned opening is 2010. The second phase's start will be based on market demand.

The project site contains the Allen House apartment complex at 3601 W. Allen Pkwy., which is bordered by West Clay, Tirrell and Rosine streets. "We originally bought this during the mid-1980s' oil bust as a wonderful piece of property with an income-earning asset on it," says John Darrah, vice president for GID Urban Development Group. "The notion of doing this type of mixed-use development on the property occurred to us a couple of years ago."

http://www.globest.com/news/885_885/gsrsou...t/159787-1.html

With this much traffic being added, I wonder if they'll add a light at Dunlavy and Allen Pkwy... and if so.. if they'll do it similar to other interections with allen parkway and have the thru-traffic of allen pkwy go under the interesction...

Correct me if I'm getting overly excited, but this project looks like one of the best things to hit Houston in decades. It looks like everything I ever hoped Midtown would be (on a smaller scale of course) but on a better side of town. Boing!

Think of the view from those midrises, downtown immediately to the east, Buffalo Bayou Park to the north, uptown to the west, and TMC and Greenway to the south. With relatively short drives to everything, who wouldn't want to live in this area.

The only thing that would make it perfect is that they 'age' the look of the area so that it doesn't come out looking too new or like faux architecture. Oh, and that it will keep expanding until it spreads from Memorial Park to Downtown. Oooh baby!

• 1 month later...
Correct me if I'm getting overly excited, but this project looks like one of the best things to hit Houston in decades. It looks like everything I ever hoped Midtown would be (on a smaller scale of course) but on a better side of town. Boing!

Think of the view from those midrises, downtown immediately to the east, Buffalo Bayou Park to the north, uptown to the west, and TMC and Greenway to the south. With relatively short drives to everything, who wouldn't want to live in this area.

The only thing that would make it perfect is that they 'age' the look of the area so that it doesn't come out looking too new or like faux architecture. Oh, and that it will keep expanding until it spreads from Memorial Park to Downtown. Oooh baby!

I just got back from a run along the Buffalo Bayou near Allen Parkway. I noticed that the Allen House appears to be empty. There were no signs of life anywhere and there wasn't a single car in the parking lot.

Could this incredible project be moving that quickly?

Oh, you tease, you!

But yeah, your logic is sound. Always a good sign when it appears that a residential property is up for redevelopment and the previous tenants appear to be gone. It does seem to suggest that they're moving right along.

Keep the fingers crossed!

If the developers and the city were smart, they'd use them for HPD and HFD for practice some drills. Hell, i'm sure the army would love to have a chance to play in there!