Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

Yes, the huge empty fenced off lots. While it prepared folks going into downtown for the many surface parking lots, I would have preferred to see Allen House there.

Yea they might as well have left Allen house there until it really needed to be torn down and collected rent up to that point.

Yea they might as well have left Allen house there until it really needed to be torn down and collected rent up to that point.

I'm sure the developer would agree with you, hindsight being 20/20,  but this place was torn down in the summer of 2007 and whatever financing they had to move forward vanished.  That whole liquidity crisis/Lehman collapse/Dow at 6500/recession event put the brakes on lots of things.  At least this "eyesore" was a nice open field instead of a rusting hulk of steel a la High Street on Westheimer.  The fact that this one is still going forward, and that they have gone forward with the Sovereign, backs up what these developers have always said -- they have had this property for a long time and are committed to it long term in the future.  In the list of ambitious projects from 2006-2008, BLVD Place is one of the few that resembles its pre-recession self.  Time will tell on Regent, but the signs point to them sticking to the original vision.  I'd rather they do that, at the expense of a vacant lot for six years, than throw something up like High Street.

• Like 3

Trust me on this...the initial plan was to begin construction on Block A and Block B a few months after they demolished the Allen House. A design change, and then the 'great recession', set their plans back and they started construction (apartment tower) on  another block. They just revised their strategy but their initial plan was to start building sooner then later.

Edited by shasta

• 2 weeks later...

beautiful classic architecture. If the rest of their projects are to this scale it will be a pedestrian paradise - at least in a three to four block radius.

http://www.windsorcommunities.com/why-windsor/windsor-cares-recognition.aspx

^^^^^ Not news breakings, but at least we know where to keep an eye out.

Edited by lockmat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In 10 years Houston will be quite different from what it is today.  Regent Square + the other 3-4 walkable mixed-use "districts" will help transform Houston into a more walkable town and one where people will engage with the outdoors more often.  Quite exciting!

I'm glad that RS is moving forward, The Allen House was a realatively affordable and decently kept up place that close in, besides that - my parents met there many years ago when it was far more fashionable.  Gone, but something better in its place... which is all we can ask for in most of the tear-down circumstances in this town.  Sadly it isn't always the case.

In 10 years Houston will be quite different from what it is today.  Regent Square + the other 3-4 walkable mixed-use "districts" will help transform Houston into a more walkable town and one where people will engage with the outdoors more often.  Quite exciting!

I'm glad that RS is moving forward, The Allen House was a realatively affordable and decently kept up place that close in, besides that - my parents met there many years ago when it was far more fashionable.  Gone, but something better in its place... which is all we can ask for in most of the tear-down circumstances in this town.  Sadly it isn't always the case.

In ten years we will be lucky if there is anything being built on those empty lots Regent Square created.  

^Seems like they are moving forward.  2008 was a bad year nationally for construction, so anything that started that year was basically put on hold or canceled.  Regent Square wasn't cancelled, but put on hold.

If in 10 years that property hasn't developed, then someone else will have come along and bought it and developed something else.  Far too valuable of land to NOT do anything with it.

If in 10 years that property hasn't developed, then someone else will have come along and bought it and developed something else.  Far too valuable of land to NOT do anything with it.

Agreed, although one would think that this land is too valuable not to do anything with for more than 7 years as well.  Hopefully the developers get their act together . . . .

• 3 months later...

I can't believe this topic / development has been active since early 2007. That's like a couple of lifetimes ago.

No joke. We bought a house across from the vacant lot three months after the announcement. Lived there for six years. Moved again. Still vacant. Great views of downtown though for those six years!