Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

The left turn from Allen-west to Dunlavy has a short lane right now, mainly because there's a left turn right before that. Perhaps those 2 turn lanes could be joined up for a longer lane.

That's a good idea.

The ROW really can't accomodate anything else, and with the Waugh bridge there....maybe Waugh itself could be widened, before the bridge. There's room to work with on the south side, assuming it's done now, rather than later.

I agree with their points about the lack of awnings and what not to protect pedestrians from some of the elements.

One thing that those renderings show, that you didn't see along the city sidewalks of Texas one hundred years ago, is trees. I don't think you can build out over the sidewalk a la The Strand in Galveston and still have trees planted along the sidwalk.

I find it interesting that the Swamplot people are moaning about the pre-fab look of the place. I don't see it. In fact, I think dressing this thing up as a mock 1910 Texas town would be he worst thing they could do. It's natural for people to compare this to other places they've seen, but I can't really think of any other development that looks this way. It doesn't look master planned to me - it looks more natural. The developers have the luxury of taking large parcels that were made up of numerous blocks many years ago, and returning them to something resembling the original grid that was there. It fits in. As someone who lives on Dunlavy, am I psyched that my traffic-free trip to and from downton will end? No. But as a resident of the area I'm excited to see these guys do something this ambitious with that piece of property.

• 1 month later...
Look kids! Big Ben! Parliament!

Niche is right. Traffic circles and people are generally a bad mix. For sheer terror, some of the ones in Italy I've come across (especially Rome) don't even have lanes. Good times. Ciao.

They must have made sense when they were built, in old cities with odd angled intersections, streets not on a grid pattern, etc. However, a roundabout at Allen Pkwy and Dunlavy would be more suicidal than the Allen Parkway ramps to the Pierce Elevated, if that's even possible. People fly through there, there's little frontage, like Musicman said, a major cross street and bridge a few hundred feet away.

I guess the only thing would be a full stop and dedicated left turn lanes. You could leave it alone, but with the added congestion, it would back up past the Waugh exit too much, stacking people on Dunlavy waiting to turn east. Where Dunlavy meets AP, you can hard right to the Waugh exit lane, or you can swing out to catch Allen Parwkay. Of course you have all the people veering into the Waugh exit lane at 60 mph, after cresting a slight hill and turn. It's crazy already at that intersection.

The city needs to repave Allen Parkway with concrete. Once it starts raining, the asphalt patches combined with the curves creates the most dangerous driving conditions in the city. It's like an ice rink. I once threw my car into a violent spin of 360's, slamming into the curb then coming to a stop facing traffic the wrong way in front of the Bel Air. The construction guys who ran over to my car told me it happens all the time. In one spot closer to Dunlavy, the city cut grooves into the asphalt because it is so dangerous. All of the additional traffic this project (and West Ave) will bring onto Allen Parkway will just make it worse.

They definitely need a light to assist westbound traffic on Allen Parkway turning south onto Dunlavy It's a short turn lane and the traffic often backs up onto the left lane on Allen Parkway. Cars coming around the turn don't have a lot of notice that traffic may be completely stopped in front of them

If any of you have any influence with the city, repaving Allen Parkway and installing a light at Dunlavy should be a very high priority

Edited by AJB857

The lanes are narrow, and speeding on a wet road that is an older asphalt is never a good idea.

They can't get rid of the Dunlavy turn lane, and they are only going to need it more once all of this gets built. I still haven't seen anywhere in the design that proposes any changes to the current set up, has something new come out maybe? They could always dig it and make it a double underpass to Dunlavy, with easy service road type access just continuing from the Waugh intersection. Someone needs to figure that out, otherwise it'll just end up less safe than now.

Has anyone see visible progress? It's been a couple weeks since I drove by but it looked like nothing but cleared spaces. Are they waiting on something?

The lanes are narrow, and speeding on a wet road that is an older asphalt is never a good idea.

They can't get rid of the Dunlavy turn lane, and they are only going to need it more once all of this gets built. I still haven't seen anywhere in the design that proposes any changes to the current set up, has something new come out maybe? They could always dig it and make it a double underpass to Dunlavy, with easy service road type access just continuing from the Waugh intersection. Someone needs to figure that out, otherwise it'll just end up less safe than now.

Has anyone see visible progress? It's been a couple weeks since I drove by but it looked like nothing but cleared spaces. Are they waiting on something?

The latest news said land clearing in September and construction in October. So cross your fingers for groundbreaking to actually happen before year end.

I do agree that the lanes are a bit narrow but nothing as extreme as what's on Westheimer. And while they're repaving

Allen Parkway, they can do the same for Memorial.

dude, you're of the heezy. Is there an option to subsribe to your posts?

Looks like that tower is close to 30 stories, doesn't it?

edit: also...this doesn't look too bad, yah?...

$26.00 SF/Year

1/1/2010 Office Building

Edited by lockmat

I've been impressed with most of the images of Recent Square I've come across. The mid-rise buildings look very attractive along with the sidewalks and green spaces. In this last image, the tower is obviously vague, although it seems to suggest that glass will be the primary surface. In this case, the mostly glass surfaces would seem to be out of place with the rest of the project, IMO.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I'm guessing some of you may have looked at the swamplot blog. The tall building is not any part of Regent Square.

I'm guessing the architect is also working on a tower design in the area and has it in the same rendering.

The two condo towers for Regent Square are much shorter.

I'm guessing some of you may have looked at the swamplot blog. The tall building is not any part of Regent Square.

I'm guessing the architect is also working on a tower design in the area and has it in the same rendering.

Did swamplot edit the post? Anyway...here is Gus' evaluation:

The new drawing showing the ghost-tower is apparently a view from W. Dallas, just east of Tirrell St., looking southeast. From this vantage point, the condo towers planned for Regent Square
Edited by lockmat

my not-so-educated guess would be that this ghost-tower is the proposed fingers condo planned in conjunction with the new whole foods off of waugh (perhaps?).

It seems as if swamplots assumption of the direction of this view is correct. The viewpoint is from just south of W. Dallas. The condo you're talking of is north of W. Dallas, right? If so, it'd have to be a different tower. Hmmm...

Doesnt appear likely... while his website is outdated, the architect doesnt seem to do a lot of work in Houston. Most of his Texas work is done in the Metroplex. I didn't see another Houston project.

It seems as if swamplots assumption of the direction of this view is correct. The viewpoint is from just south of W. Dallas. The condo you're talking of is north of W. Dallas, right? If so, it'd have to be a different tower. Hmmm...

That view is to the Southeast and would put it smak in the middle of the Phase II portion of the project. If you look at the most recent Phase II renderings and use your imagination, you can see something with a footprint and orientation that matches the "ghost tower." The plot thickens.

• 3 weeks later...

For those waiting for construction to begin on Regent Square, I came across what I hope is an encouraging sign. On land owned by Regent Square development at the SE corner of W Dallas and Rochow St (about two blocks east of Dunlavy) several (about six) construction offices/trailers have been set up. The number of trailers indicates to me a very sizeable project team. I have to think that this can only be for a development the size of Regent Square.

clh

^ This is why I love HAIF so much. ^ On sight reporting as it happens. Thank you, hysinger. This sounds very encouraging. HAIF's team of spies are everywhere. The Chronicle was never this on the ball.

Keeping fingers crossed that it is what it looks like it is.