Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

There does not appear to be any surface parking. All four of those "surface lots" appear in the 3-D drawings to be garages. Click on swamplot's link to the drawings posted earlier to see the 3-D versions.

Nope, Red. There are a total of 12 surface parking spaces.

The horror, the horror. :rolleyes:

Nope, Red. There are a total of 12 surface parking spaces.

The horror, the horror. :rolleyes:

Niche -- please say you aren't sure. In the original drawings and the first set of revisions that were released yesterday it looked like those surface lots were actually roof parking.

I hope that they are. There is a lot of good activity going on in the neighborhood right now -- I think this place could help it reach a critical mass. I don't want to be a doom and gloomer.

And as an edit... I don't see driveways for those lots. And they have structural thingies (architecture term) at the corners. I want to believe, dammit!!!

Edit again.. I noticed you said spaces, not lots, Niche. I'm accustomed to thinking lots. As you can tell, I'm architecturally shellshocked.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

Looks pretty freaking cool... Houston doesn't have anything like this. Phase II seems pretty sweet too. Hopefully the trend continues.

This project reminds me of West Village in Uptown Dallas, except somewhat larger it seems.

This is by far my favorite Houston project. It's like 20 projects in one, and the synergy it'll bring will be unmatched IMO.

This project is excellent.

I just wish it was being built along either the light rail line or one that is planned for in the future. It's been awhile, but I do think there is bus service down West Dallas but none on West Gray or Allen Parkway. Is that right?

I think the Inner Katy line is not too far from here. Maybe a trolley service or something (maybe like the McKinney Streetcar in Dallas), could be built.

Nice renderings by the way.

Edited by Trae

I just wish it was being built along either the light rail line or one that is planned for in the future. It's been awhile, but I do think there is bus service down West Dallas but none on West Gray or Allen Parkway. Is that right?

I agree, the only downside is the fact that Ill have to drive to get there.

you don't have to drive, you choose to drive.

This isn't necessarily bad, but just an observation. How come guys like you, niche and red never say yall like developments. Maybe yall do and I just miss it. But it's either an objective opinion which is fine, or it's negative. But almost never any compliments.

This isn't necessarily bad, but just an observation. How come guys like you, niche and red never say yall like developments. Maybe yall do and I just miss it. But it's either an objective opinion which is fine, or it's negative. But almost never any compliments.

i can't speak for niche or red, but i don't think i've ever said that. like life in general, there are good things and bad things. a question for you are there any bad projects?

I can't speak for Lockmat, but I will say that they are some badly planned projects. Some also would be best in better locations (so the actual project may be great, but located sucks).

i can't speak for niche or red, but i don't think i've ever said that. like life in general, there are good things and bad things. a question for you are there any bad projects?

What do you mean you've never said that? Said what? I don't think I said you ever said anything. I pointed out what you have not said. But it's ok. Just an observation.

My opinion is different just b/c I don't live where many of them are taken place. But honestly I like most of them goin up, but there are certain aspects of some of them I don't like, like the garages for Cosmopolitan and the Titan.

My opinion is different just b/c I don't live where many of them are taken place. But honestly I like most of them goin up, but there are certain aspects of some of them I don't like, like the garages for Cosmopolitan and the Titan.

for me it's more than just the project but how it affects the area as well. in some instances, the second is more detrimental than the first.

I agree, the only downside is the fact that Ill have to drive to get there.

What, you're too good to take the bus? The 3, 18, 48 and 313 all run directly to this location from downtown via Gray, Dallas and Allen Parkway.

There are usually so many "This is great!" posts that I do not feel the need to add to them. I do try to be objective, since the "This is great!" posts add nothing to the conversation. And, I do admit that correcting an inaccurate post can come off as negative. For what it is worth, I DO like this project. But, at the same time, it will almost certainly be aimed at the "upscale" resident and shopper, so, other than the occasional restaurant visit, it is not a place where I will spend a lot of time. But, I do recognize its value to the area.

What, you're too good to take the bus? The 3, 18, 48 and 313 all run directly to this location from downtown via Gray, Dallas and Allen Parkway.

THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW. I DON'T EVER RECALL SEEING BUSES ON ALLEN PARKWAY BUT I AM GLAD THEY RUN THAT ROUTE.

There are usually so many "This is great!" posts that I do not feel the need to add to them. I do try to be objective, since the "This is great!" posts add nothing to the conversation. And, I do admit that correcting an inaccurate post can come off as negative. For what it is worth, I DO like this project. But, at the same time, it will almost certainly be aimed at the "upscale" resident and shopper, so, other than the occasional restaurant visit, it is not a place where I will spend a lot of time. But, I do recognize its value to the area.

In the end, I like these types of projects Inside the Loop. A key for good development in my opinion is one in which car trips can be minimized. This one does that for the residents. They can walk to a dry cleaners or to dinner. They can even walk to Kroger's and a movie on West Gray. Getting cars off of the road is what Houston needs to focus on. Smart developments and transit options can do that.

Now, if only we'd have more of these types of projects on the rail line...

Looks like they're trying to pull off a more traditional style here than what is usually found in these new developments (ie: Post Midtown, BLVD Place, etc), but I find the designs a tad more convincing than many other developments that try their hand at such a style (ie: West Ave). I appreciate the architectural subtleties in most of the buildings; they do not attempt to over festoon most of them with trite and stereotypical neoclassical elements, such as quoins, keystones, etc.

Furthermore, it also looks like the majority of it will be clad in solid masonry; here's to hoping that those stucco looking structures are not actually done in EIFS.

I'm just hoping that the actual results will be just as convincing as these renderings.

I understand. But I guess everyone has their place. Someone has to (at least when it actually is) say, "This is great!", right? ha

And I don't mind corrective posts, I like them. It's just that some people don't use a very nice tone when doing it.

for me it's more than just the project but how it affects the area as well. in some instances, the second is more detrimental than the first.

I agree. Unfortunately that's the part that is hard for me to weigh in on since I don't live ITL nor do I frequent it as often as I'd like to.

You're right Red, there shouldn't be anything wrong with taking a bus. I've just been discouraged so many times after having to wait ridiculous times for transfers that I now try to avoid it. I am perfectly happy with taking the rail (I do it nearly every day) and haven't had any problems with it. I am lucky because I can walk to the Museum District station.

When I first moved here I relied 100% on the bus (mostly Bissonnet and Richmond). I remember too many times waiting 30 minutes at a bus stop with no benches my first summer here. Anyways, hopefully they have some decent routes between this place and Downtown. If so, that could work for me. It's not that I'm too good for the bus. I guess I just didn't realize there were direct routes from Downtown. I still wish it was on one of the proposed rail lines...

Edited by Jax

This project is fantastic...I can't wait to watch some dirt to begin turning. I think in light of gas being 5 to 6 dollars by the time this project is up and running, you will see a great deal of suburbanites moving to a project like this....

Saying "This is great!" adds a whole lot more to the conversation than posts some people make just to pick on other members.

This does look fantastic in the renderings. To me the hardest thing is visualizing this amount of development density on the Allen House site. That said, I tend to be a bit suspicious of the "mixed use" concept. Unless the retail and business components are very specifically targeted, I suspect that residents will continue to do most of their shopping elsewhere, and most shoppers and workers will drive in from elsewhere. We shall see.

This project will never get off the ground!

It will be nothing but a parking lot and it will look nothing like the renderings and will be a total architectural disappointment.

:unsure:

Did I miss anything?

Well, played, sir. ;)

I agree with Subdude, however. There comes a point when mixed-use needs to be very community specific. When the retailers don't match the residents' demographics (or at least reaches a point where much of it doesn't match the demographics) then you begin to lose some of the project's original focus. Will it truly be an urban neighborhood if a greater mix of the clientelle ends up driving in from elsewhere?

And so on.

So far, it seems West Ave, in this respect, seems to be off to a good start. Then again, it's slated to be a smaller project overall.

I agree with Subdude, however. There comes a point when mixed-use needs to be very community specific. When the retailers don't match the residents' demographics (or at least reaches a point where much of it doesn't match the demographics) then you begin to lose some of the project's original focus. Will it truly be an urban neighborhood if a greater mix of the clientelle ends up driving in from elsewhere?

And so on.

So far, it seems West Ave, in this respect, seems to be off to a good start. Then again, it's slated to be a smaller project overall.

But we don't know of any tenants yet, right? And who knows, while this project is grand in scale it still seems to be modest, at least in architecture. So maybe the the tenants will to...or not. We'll see.