Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

I was half-kidding, Niche. It's a pipe dream. But you'd have to think that high-salaried workers used to an urban environment like Chicago would be attracted to a place like this, so close to downtown. Kind of like the way Enron workers drove much of the apartment construction in midtown.

Well yeah, you're right. ...but they might also be attracted to a place that offers three months of free rent and a free plasma screen TV. It happens. It will happen. Watch.

Ummm...doesnt W Dallas St runs right through the middle of Allen House E/W?

Yes.. based on the render they provided to the chronicle.. it appears W. Dallas will run through the middle of the development, and that the actual public 'Regent's Square' will be right on W. Dallas.

It also appears there are pedestrian bridges over dunlavy... potential phase III maybe.

...least thats what it looks like to me.

regentsquare.jpg

2459.jpg

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 1

Whatever the number, Houston has been overbuilt before and underbuilt. All this (in my humble opinion) will work itself out. The location is awesome for the old Allen House .... my ex-boss lived there (couldn't stand her but she had a great unit at AH). Anyhow, unless I could afford a really nice highrise with all the bells and whistles, I'll keep the house and yard I have. But the younger generation and empty nesters will have a great selection of condos and apartments (close in) and perhaps with this many units being built, it will be a renter's market for a while (rents being affordable). It won't last, of course. Nothing does. But, I'd rather see Houston build than not. Besides, this urban concept reminds me of Greenway Plaza on steroids and up-to-date. Here's to the old Allen House... soon will be gone and forgotten. :blush:

You know, this would be a great chance to put in a small light rail line on allen parkway to this project from downtown. :)

Eventually all the way down kirby. :lol:

Man, that would be perfect. (Although it would be even more perfect if it ran down, say, West Dallas to Kirby and then down Kirby to Reliant Park and meet up with the red line.)

• Like 1

Man, that would be perfect. (Although it would be even more perfect if it ran down, say, West Dallas to Kirby and then down Kirby to Reliant Park and meet up with the red line.)

Just what we need, another stop at Reliant Park...you know, to relieve the inescapable and horrendous 'congestion' caused by foot traffic at the other one. <_<

It would be nice if something hit the Village. PT sucks out there and there is only one "quick" bus. I say they need to start another line coming from that rail yard at the Fannin South Station and hit Kirby to the Village and try to make its way up Shepherd to Washington to hit the Intermodal Transit Center on the Near Northside.

Edited by WesternGulf

It would be nice if something hit the Village. PT sucks out there and there is only one "quick" bus. I say they need to start another line coming from that rail yard at the Fannin South Station and hit Kirby to the Village and try to make its way up Shepherd to Washington to hit the Intermodal Transit Center on the Near Northside.

Agreed. The village needs rail service. Plus the whole Upper Kirby district is becoming quite urban and would be well-served by a rail line.

• Like 1

For whatever reason, people just haven't taken to the 18 Kirby. Thus, METRO hasn't been very aggressive about running bus service along the Kirby Corridor, including through the Village. Nevertheless, I agree that the service still sucks and I tend to think the general affluence of the communities lining the northern 2/3 of the strip are the types to use rail transit long before bus transit (if they were to even use public transit at all).

I became aware of Allen House shortly after my move to Houston ( a few years back) and knew several professional coworkers who lived at Allen House as corporate housing (again, a few years back!)

I am sad to see this 'landmark' go, but am excited about the plans for redevelopment. If completed as described, this project will be a great catalyst for similar development in all of the surrounding neighborhoods - helping establish an urban Houston core

• Like 1

despite it's historical value, it's still an aging apartment complex.

i'm surprised no one has redeveloped the land where my apartment complex is; creole at yorktown in galleria area.

In that neighborhood I imagine it is just a matter of time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like (according to the rendering) that the large the piece of Allen House surround by Dunlavy, West Dallas, Rosine and West Clay is not included. Anyone have a clue about that block?

It is included in a later phase of the project.

• Like 1

regentsquare.jpg

Is that a new park in the upper right-hand corner? I live in a townhouse on Gross Street between W Dallas and W Clay, and I'm trying to figure out what my new neighbor would be. A park would certainly fit well with the historic College Park Cemetery.

And let me say my roommate who owns the townhouse was sure happy to hear about this deal...

• Like 1

Yeah, the client wants to keep it under the microscope for now. It's driving me crazy cause I am doing the PR for the local architecture firm. The Houston Chronicle did an exclusive story on January 24 and the HBJ just gave a brief description. Below are the facts.

Regent Square

General Description

A new Houston neighborhood built on the principles of urbanism and smart growth to create an upscale, vibrant community and destination district inside Loop 610 alive with shopping, dining, entertaining, socializing, working, and living

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
"Regent Square"? Where do they come up with these dumb development names? :wacko:

re-gent: 1. One who rules during the minority, absence, or disability of a monarch.

So once the queens have been chased out, the Regent takes their place... ;)

Kind of makes sense.

re-gent: 1. One who rules during the minority, absence, or disability of a monarch.

So once the queens have been chased out, the Regent takes their place... ;)

Kind of makes sense.

If that's the case, shouldn't The Montrose be called, "The Regent" due the flight of the Queens there? :)

Sorry, I'm feeling silly.

• Like 1