Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

From the rumor mill...

They have apparently had success getting some retail committments and are very excited about having signed up two significant restaurant partners. From what I hear they will be sizable spaces and are well known, local, and respected names that have been in the biz in this town a long time. And no, not Tillman Fertitta, and not chains.

The hope is for groundbreaking this fall, completion of some sort or another in the fall of 2012.

If I had to tell you how good my source was, I'd say she's connected, knows what she is talking about and has no reason to make this up. Of course this doesn't mean these dates and tenants are set in stone. Still, it's encouraging.

• Like 1

From the rumor mill...

They have apparently had success getting some retail committments and are very excited about having signed up two significant restaurant partners. From what I hear they will be sizable spaces and are well known, local, and respected names that have been in the biz in this town a long time. And no, not Tillman Fertitta, and not chains.

The hope is for groundbreaking this fall, completion of some sort or another in the fall of 2012.

If I had to tell you how good my source was, I'd say she's connected, knows what she is talking about and has no reason to make this up. Of course this doesn't mean these dates and tenants are set in stone. Still, it's encouraging.

Encouraging indeed, Thanks for the info. Hope your source is reliable as you say it is in your last paragraph. :)

From the rumor mill...

Good rumors travel fast. I was at a party on Monday with much rumor spreading about Monica Pope in that location. Of course we were all drunk and in the pool by then, but hey. :D

monica pope is definitely one of the most famous chefs in town

I didn't hear that it was Monica, although I think she'd be great there. She's been part of that neighborhood (cue the neighborhood borders debate) for so long and she has been a big part of the scene in this town going back to The Quilted Toque. One of the names I heard was Italian. I know that Popes tend to be italian, but I don't think Monica is. A few big names that come to mind. And just to assuage you once again, it wasn't Ferttita.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

this is one of the reasons Vallone pulled out of the River Oaks Shopping Center deal.

He and his son were going to open that place which is something they had wanted to do for awhile. It's possible that poor timing with the economy combined with the neighborhood hassle -- and maybe even a non-compte thing with Fertitta and Griglia (assuming they had one after Tony sold Griglia, et al to Tillman) -- just submarined the whole deal. And Tony would see the problems opening an upscale restaurant/wine bar right about now. I also wonder if the Mandola's are considering moving Nino's, etc. That place lost a lot of its mojo when the great view of downtown became a great view of 3 story, cookie-cutter, Perry Homes.

Or I could be way off and we'll be getting a Johnny Carino's in Montrose.

• 3 weeks later...
Im falling in love with Regent Square...! :wub:

condo-view1.jpg

rs-view8.jpg

RS-condo_hero1.jpg

rs-view10_small.jpg

Link

I LOVE the developement (brownstone areas)

I LOVE the tower

But together they look like a hot mess... but thank the heavens that SOMEBODY in this town has figured out the concept of rooftop parking, and building the development to the street corner. That's some sweet action!!

Edited by totheskies

I LOVE the tower

But together they look like a hot mess... but thank the heavens that SOMEBODY in this town has figured out the concept of rooftop parking, and building the development to the street corner. That's some sweet action!!

I think the tower and the urban townhomes will work out great together when complete. I like that it seems out of place to some people, while I think its a excellent combination of architecture.

Just take a look, this Modern building proposed in NYC thats out-of-place with its surrondings.

04afa48369.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Link

Awesome!

• Like 1

I LOVE the tower

Yeah, Chicago has a few versions of the Tower/brownstone & townhome action going, specifically in the Museum Park Tower area http://www.museumpark.com/home.asp, and it's wonderful and looks really pristine. This may be new to Houston, but it's great for an urban environment that's in need of non-high rise living.

I think the tower and the urban townhomes will work out great together when complete. I like that it seems out of place to some people, while I think its a excellent combination of architecture.

Just take a look, this Modern building proposed in NYC thats out-of-place with its surrondings.

04afa48369.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Link

Awesome!

Wow. That is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It nearly compares to our Federal Reserve building

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

good news....just wonder when this project will advance faster....

Local media reports back in May/June indicated that their "stimulus" agreement with the city requires them to begin public infrastructural (utilities/streets) improvements by Oct. 1, 2009, and to begin private development by Oct. 1, 2010. My guess is that we'll begin to see some infrastructural work in a couple of months, and I would also guess that they would hold off on the private development as long as possible (depending on leasing).

A similar process is going on nearby at the Fingers/Whole Foods lot at Waugh/W. Dallas. They began utility work 6+ months ago and are still working on new roadways and concrete work on the property. It doesn't appear, however, that they are in any hurry at all to begin to actually build out the development. If GID is going to comply with the guidelines proposed by the City, I would expect a similar timeline: begin infrastructural work in a few months, then maybe begin to build out the development in 12-15 months.

This is lay opinion from tracking these developments in person and online.

• 2 months later...

There is activity on both blocks of the Regent Square site today. There are 3 pieces of heavy equipment and about 10-15 workers on the site. The workers are surveying, spraypainting/flagging, and digging on the lots.

Given that the developers are supposed to begin public improvements by October 1, it appears that the work began today. I'm optimistic that this is the first step toward the ultimate construction of Regent Square. Regardless, the Regent Square corridor (W. Dallas from Rochow to Tirrell) is seeing a lot of construction activity, shown below:

Workers on the Regent Square lots:

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

This building at the corner of W. Dallas and Rochow was demolished this morning. It was directly across the street from the developer's lot of trailers. The land is planned to be used as part of Phase 2 of Regent Square, so I don't know why it was demolished.

Before:

http://tinyurl.com/lqmv3g

After:

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

Also, this land is not related to Regent Square, but the neighboring office building at 3410 W. Dallas has been under renovation for a few months. It will serve as the new Norwegian Consulate, as confirmed by Swamplot: http://swamplot.com/...ian/2009-09-14/

Before:

http://tinyurl.com/nb2658

Current:

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

• Like 2