Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

Could be worse... Developers could start selling naming rights for this type of project like they do sports arenas and office towers.

We could be stuck with "Continental Square" or "The Park at Minute Maid Square.... On the Parkway"

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 1

Well, Allen Square is a great name, coming as it does from local heroes. But I think it would be a bit confusing because of Allen Center and Allen's Landing. I think Parkway Square would be a better choice. Or, since it's just west of downtown, how about WeDo Square? Just kidding. :P

Edited by happytown

More and more of the people that buy homes in that area just east of Shephered and just north of the River Oaks shopping center are not comfortable with their million dollar homes being in to Montrose. Of course, the River Oaks crowd doesn't want to be associated with them either. Maybe a good transitional name for the area east of Shephered, west of Dunlavy, south of the bayou and north of 59 would be "Montroaks." As long as it is not alreay covered by part of the "Upper Kirby District."

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

When did the Montrose get zoning? And, why do people buy there if they are uncomfortable with it?

There isn't any zoning, I was just commenting on what they are labeled. To me, east of Shepherd is Montrose, and has been as long as I was here. But a lot of these new spec homes are listed as being in "neartown," "museum district", "upper kirby," or, in the case of the house built next to me, "River Oaks Area."

I think a lot of realtors, and customers, don't want to say they live in Montrose -- hence the ridiculous euphemisms. I'll never forget the shock and awe of my "river oaks area" neighbor when the Harris County Transgendered float lined up in front of his house before the Pride Parade. Pricesess

I'll never forget the shock and awe of my "river oaks area" neighbor when the Harris County Transgendered float lined up in front of his house before the Pride Parade. Pricesess

...never heard that term before. Is that when they dress the corpse of Vincent Price up like a princess?

There isn't any zoning, I was just commenting on what they are labeled. To me, east of Shepherd is Montrose, and has been as long as I was here. But a lot of these new spec homes are listed as being in "neartown," "museum district", "upper kirby," or, in the case of the house built next to me, "River Oaks Area."

I think a lot of realtors, and customers, don't want to say they live in Montrose -- hence the ridiculous euphemisms. I'll never forget the shock and awe of my "river oaks area" neighbor when the Harris County Transgendered float lined up in front of his house before the Pride Parade. Pricesess

You're absolutely right. Upper Kirby really doesn't overlap the Montrose, but "Neartown" was dreamed up specifically as a marketing ploy, so people wouldn't have to admit they lived in "Montrose" and were therefore gay. Of course, tricks that obvious don't really fool anyone but, apparently, real estate agents.

You're absolutely right. Upper Kirby really doesn't overlap the Montrose, but "Neartown" was dreamed up specifically as a marketing ploy, so people wouldn't have to admit they lived in "Montrose" and were therefore gay. Of course, tricks that obvious don't really fool anyone but, apparently, real estate agents.

mmm.....somehow, I doubt that is the case.

Neartown Association

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, that really is a lot of retail!

It's also a small area and only a couple of ways to get in and out. It will impact traffic between West Gray and Allen Pkwy north/south, and Shepherd and Waugh east-west. I'm in that area daily, running errands at lunch and after work, and it's pretty congested now. At the very least, turns lanes and lights at Dunlavy and Allen Parkway will need to go in, as well as turn lanes at Dunlavy and Dallas. There are a lot of steet parkers in that area because all the townhomes surrounding the site. During evening rush hour Dunlavy is stacked from Dallas to Allen Parkway. By 5:30, Allen Pkwy westbound often stacks up at the Shepherd light all the way back to Dunlavy. And West Gray is pretty tricky now, since there aren't any protected lefts at the Dunlavy, Woodhead and McDuffie lights.

EDIT: actually the whole area is a pain because of the lack of protected lefts. W Gray and Waugh for starters.

Edited by crunchtastic

Thanks for posting the plans. It's quibbling, I know, but I would have liked the diagonal cross street ("Street B") to have run in a straight line to form a central axis through the development.

Is there any reason a central axis cannot run on the diagonal? Personally, I really like the diagaonal axis. And I am guess is that part of the reason for it is to lead to (and from) the east end of River Oaks Shopping Center.

Is there any reason a central axis cannot run on the diagonal? Personally, I really like the diagaonal axis. And I am guess is that part of the reason for it is to lead to (and from) the east end of River Oaks Shopping Center.

No, I very much like the diagonal axis, but I would like it better if it weren't bent at the intersection with West Dallas. I would like a straight axis running at a diagonal through both the north and south sections of the site. As I said, I'm quibbling here.

So the "Units" on the upper plan are all apartment space?

This thing will be nice when it gets rolling... I just went to Dallas last weekend and was pretty impressed with their West Village development and the area around it, I'm hoping Regent Square has the same sort of feel (except maybe without all the super yuppies).

Well, I just hope it hurries along.

I've been hearing from a few business owners that business has dropped a bit by not having occupants of Allen house around anymore. It is just fortunate that there is enough business that it doesn't make that big of an impact.

I'm assuming that they mean they're just not making as much money as they used to, but they're not going to go out of business because they already have enough patronage to keep them in the black.

Those new drawings don't seem to show the condo and office towers in the original drawings, but that's not too surprising given the ambitious nature of intial drawings. I was pleased to see they still have space of a boutique hotel. I think there is a definite niche for a small hotel serving the neighborhood. I'll be interested to see how this shakes out...

• 1 month later...
Those new drawings don't seem to show the condo and office towers in the original drawings, but that's not too surprising given the ambitious nature of intial drawings. I was pleased to see they still have space of a boutique hotel. I think there is a definite niche for a small hotel serving the neighborhood. I'll be interested to see how this shakes out...

I got word from the developers that they are aiming for a construction start of late summer or fall.

I'll leave the pessimism to subsequent posters...