Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

7 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Ironically in the end while this will make it a challenge infrastructurally to move people from center to center, the multitude of centers/urban cores we have actually makes our city rather unique. Interesting the cause and effects regulations have both positive and negative.

What's unique about multiple centers? Many large cities have them including most of our peers like Dallas and Atlanta and of course cities like LA, SF, DC, and NYC. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are there any regulations around work time for projects like this development.  At least 20 trucks arrived between 4am and 6am this morning (Saturday).  

If there is a regulation around work time - who enforces it and how would i report on it?

Thanks

Edited by Jimmy Bob
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, Jimmy Bob said:

Are there any regulations around work time for projects like this development.  At least 20 trucks arrived between 4am and 6am this morning (Saturday).  It has been interesting to watch the progress this week.  Monday - Thursday saw the delivery of hundreds of truckloads of dirt.  Friday and Saturday have seen them remove at least 100 truckloads of dirt.  Seems like the project is off to a rough start.

If there is a regulation around work time - who enforces it and how would i report on it?

Thanks

Start here. You may have to did further into the citation provided to see if it has been updated. This is a city by city comparison from Austin but includes Houston.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=253779

Section 30-16(5) establishes an affirmative defense for: “the erection, excavation, construction, or demolition of any building or structure, including the use of any necessary tools or equipment, conducted between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., which activity did not produce a sound exceeding 85 dB(A) when measured from the property line of the residential property where the sound is being received. “

Edited by thatguysly
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figure that question was about construction sites closing due to the virus. From what I’ve read construction workers are exempt from lockdown. I live close to regent square and can see the crane from my window. They appear to be working today.

• Like 6

Exactly.  I was wondering if a worksite is left idle for 2,3,4.. months (due to the virus) does there come a point that the building site degrades to a point where the repair costs rise and the project is no longer financially feasible.  If they are exempt, then it's a moot point.  If I was building a home I would be a little upset if it sat in the rain for 2-3 months, half built and exposed to the elements.  I'm not any kind of expert on big commercial buildings, so I was asking.

• Like 3

There is no lockdown in Harris County anyway, and even in counties that have more strict shelter-in-place rules than the very light ones effective for us today, construction is generally still allowed.  So I wouldn't see that as a concern just yet.

• Like 4