Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

EDIT:  Already covered above.  However, still very excited about this.  Will be interesting to see what this "Phase Two" will look like, given the comments in the articles below.

GID Development Group announced today details of the highly anticipated Phase Two of Regent Square, a 24-acre, 4.2 million square foot mixed-use development located in the heart of the Inner Loop off of West Dallas. Phase Two will include the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, a sophisticated residential project featuring 160 apartments, and 15,000 square feet of restaurant spaces. Construction on Phase Two is slated to commence late 2013.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gid-development-announces-dynamic-phase-two-of-regent-square-development-2013-02-14

The 4.2 million-square-foot Regent Square project, already under construction, will include a 21-story luxury apartment high rise at 3233 West Dallas and other retail and residential components.

The Alamo Drafthouse, part of the project's phase 2, will begin construction later this year.

http://www.chron.com/business/article/New-cinemas-in-Houston-give-luxury-a-starring-role-4276779.php?t=863144c6ed

Edited by uhlaw09

I honestly can't see them opening up a location in midtown when they're going to be opening this one which would only be 2-3 miles apart. I hope they do becuase Midtown could really use a new concept like this. But maybe if they decide not to, they can make use of the new park and at least do the outdoor movie nights like they're planning at RS and already doing at DG.

I honestly can't see them opening up a location in midtown when they're going to be opening this one which would only be 2-3 miles apart. I hope they do becuase Midtown could really use a new concept like this. But maybe if they decide not to, they can make use of the new park and at least do the outdoor movie nights like they're planning at RS and already doing at DG.

I get what you're saying and that might be true, but these two locations are probably a further apart than Alamo's two central (Ritz downtown and on South Lamar) locations in Austin.

I don't think it was ever intended to have continuity as a uniform mega development. Even the early renderings had mixed styles and heights. It looked more like an urban environment that had grown organically rather than a master planned development.

You're right about that, but what I guess I meant is that although not uniform, it flowed together nicely.it could still end up this way. The older renderings made it look more mixed use traditional with a lot or residential on top. It also interfaced well too. The final outcome could be less so.

If you go to their website it shows 4 high rises and that's not counting The Sovereign.

2 along Allen Pkwy

1 along W. Dallas

1 along W Clay

http://www.gid.com/development/regent-square.aspx

Exactly. The Sovereign was not even in that plan and I don't see where the movie theatre would have fit in either, which leads me to believe that utopian rendering found the trash can. Maybe I'm over reacting.

Funny, I was on West Dallas earlier today and noticed that there's construction taking place on the southwest side of the intersection of West Dallas @ Dunlavy about 2 blocks from the 21 story Sovereign that is rising. At first, I thought it was just part of the construction site for that tower, but I noticed on my second drive by that there is clearly work going on in the field above and beyond the staging for the tower going up. Looks like they might have been doing soil samples?

I love GID's plans and I think it's a BRILLIANT marketing strategy to build a central park that will have activities (outdoor movies, dog run, fountains, outdoor seating for the restaurants). It's the one thing that I think is missing from West Ave (public space for gathering).

The concept of having a "central neighborhood park" has been wildly successful in places like Rosemary Beach, Seaside, Watercolor, and other new communities. In the end, if done correctly, it will provide a MUCH nicer live/work space than one with a bunch of modern towers thrown about.

This project has the potential to change the game in Houston. My fingers are crossed.

Exactly. The Sovereign was not even in that plan and I don't see where the movie theatre would have fit in either, which leads me to believe that utopian rendering found the trash can. Maybe I'm over reacting.

Finally I got home and read the press release, which brought me such great comfort ;)

The architecture planned for Phase Two seamlessly blends with the other project components and reflects the overall vision to create Houston's most visionary and ambitious walkable mixed-use district featuring residential apartments and condominiums, retail shops, restaurants, theaters and entertainment venues, office space, parks and courtyards, along with gracious tree-lined streets and sidewalks.

Blending seamlessly with its surrounding urban fabric...

via.pngPR Newswire (http://s.tt/1zMhX)

From the new HBJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/02/regent-square-to-roll-out-phase-two.html

GID Development Group said Thursday it plans to carry out its Phase Two of Regent Square, a 24-acre, 4.2 million-square-foot mixed-use development inside the 610 Loop, later this year.

The second phase will include a new Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, 160 residential units and 15,000 square feet of restaurant space. Construction is set to begin in late 2013.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone "in the know"  know if the developers of regent square plan on having the 2 original blocks (proposed in 2007-2009) up and running by 2017, when the Super Bowl is here? that would be another huger entertainment node that didn't exist in 2004, or now, for that matter.

Developers are more interested in what the current market is in the Houston area and try to estimate how much profit they can make based on the more long term demand for apartments, etc. They are less interested in a conference, rodeo or short lived sporting event. If you're looking for construction of anything when it comes to Super Bowl LI, I would turn your eyes more towards the city. They will be improving infrastructure and what have you to get ready for the big event. Development could follow after those city improvements of course...

• 2 months later...

Is this true? phase two has begun???

Regent Square, a mixed-use development in the midtown submarket, has started construction on its second

phase. Upon completion, the master planned development will have a total of 240,000 SF of Class A office space.

o Phase I will have an 11 story, 165,000 SF building.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-08-14/2013-2Q_-_Cassidy_Turley.pdf

• Like 3

probably very out of date, but interesting none the less. i've never seen this detailed before

http://www.theplansource.org/images/projects/morris_project_1_image_2.pdf

Also out of date but one rendering that I don't remember seeing that shows two pools on the roof of the small building planned for the middle of the development - would be very cool. Hoping they stick close to the original game plan.

http://naberkowitz.com/Regent_Square_Brochure.pdf

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...