Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

Random thought...if Regent Square was anywhere close to breaking ground, wouldn't we be seeing retail space for lease? I find none of that online.

I think it is safe to say that this project, in the form we saw a few years back, is dead.

It seems as if the developer is going to proceed with an independent condo/apartment tower and I've seen nothing to suggest that it is part of a bigger plan at this point. It has been ghosltly quiet despite the fact that many projects have broken inside the inner loop including a number of large scale apartment complexes.

The retail component was such a small percentage of the majority of the building's floor print (ground level only) that they could have built the apartments and sustained until the retail was leased out. Ironically, The apartment demand is really HIGH right now and Regent Square would be doing really well if they had built it as per the original time frame a couple years back.

Unfortunately, the developer may have missed their opportunity as we are set to get a number of new apartment complexes int he near future and I have little confidence that the developer will move on this project, as we know it, anytime soon.

I think it is safe to say that this project, in the form we saw a few years back, is dead.

It seems as if the developer is going to proceed with an independent condo/apartment tower and I've seen nothing to suggest that it is part of a bigger plan at this point. It has been ghosltly quiet despite the fact that many projects have broken inside the inner loop including a number of large scale apartment complexes.

The retail component was such a small percentage of the majority of the building's floor print (ground level only) that they could have built the apartments and sustained until the retail was leased out. Ironically, The apartment demand is really HIGH right now and Regent Square would be doing really well if they had built it as per the original time frame a couple years back.

Unfortunately, the developer may have missed their opportunity as we are set to get a number of new apartment complexes int he near future and I have little confidence that the developer will move on this project, as we know it, anytime soon.

Fortunately, that is not the case. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes. It may not end up looking exactly how it did in the renderings, but it will certainly be developed into a dense, mixed-use project. It might take a few more years (or decades) than first expected, but, as of now, it's on track.

Didn't the renderings of Regent Square have multiple building stylings/ heights etc to make it all kind of look like that it had grown up in independent organic/urban chunks anyway (not that the stylings were radically different, but subtly so).

• 1 month later...

Should we call this a Regent's Square construction Kick-off!? http://www.chron.com/business/homefront/article/High-rise-kicks-off-major-urban-development-3788652.php

The article states construction of other buildings after "The Sovereign" high rise apartments should start in about a year! Could take 10 years to complete :blush: But hey..., i'll take it! :D

So this is out to date to this extent at least. I wonder what else has changed. I hope they still build the condo tower on the SW side, that one is pretty sweet

How is it that trees cast shadows in one direction and the buildings cast shadows in the opposite direction, as if the sun were in the northwest sky? Does this image foreshadow the initial full-spectrum flash of a nuclear apocolypse?

Yes, that’s the plan.

John Darrah

Vice President

GID Development Group

125 High Street, 27th Floor

High Street Tower

Boston, MA 02110

jdarrah@gid.com______________________________________

Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 11:29 AM

To: Darrah, John

Subject: RE: Condos at the Svereign

Thanks John and good luck with the development, looks like it will be a game changer for Houston.

Can we expect regent square to continue construction steadily after the Sovereign

Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 10:28 AM

Subject: RE: Condos at the Svereign

All of The Sovereign units will be for rent.

John Darrah

Vice President

GID Development Group

Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 10:55 AM

To: Darrah, John

Subject: Condos at the Svereign

Hi John,

I was wondering when prices for the condos at the Sovereign would be released.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lot of ongoing work the last few days clearing the remaining slabs and grading the very large lot at the southwest corner of Dallas and Dunlavy, 2 blocks west of the Sovereign construction site. It looks as if they may be preparing an area for parking and/or equipment staging.

Edited by RocketSci
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A small detail, but one that I think some would enjoy. I don't know if anyone has noticed or pointed out that the corner of the Sovereign has a retail space, that at least on the rendering says, "cafe" and "convenience." It's not much, but it's a start. Also, looks like there are townhomes on the bottom and there is no barrier between the doors and the sidewalk.

render1.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

six years after this thread began, I think it is time to admit that this project will never be what we had all hoped.  While it's encouraging that one building is being built currently, there is no reason to expect that the rest of it will be built any time soon (if ever).  So, I have a suggestion for the owners of this site (doubt they read this, but anyway) --- I think they should sell the land that is on Allen Parkway to the City at a discounted rate if the City will build a ten floor parking garage on the site with a skyway to Buffalo Bayou.  The Buffalo Bayou Partnership is putting a lot of money into the new trails (albeit at what can only charitably be called a snail's pace), yet there is no parking for Houstonians to use it.  I know the plans show a few small parking areas as part of the renovations to the trails, but it won't be enough (and this parking will disrupt joggers/bikers).  And while people can park in the neighborhoods, crossing Allen Parkway is awful and dangerous at ever intersection (why they  aren't building other sky bridges is beyond me).

The garage would create a hub of people on the "regents square" property that would potentially allow the owners to build the rest of the project.  Bayou folks might want to go eat or go to the bike shop or whatever other retail "regents" wants to include in its plans after spending time on the bayou.  Plus the future residents could use the sky bridge. 

In any event, I hope something is done with this property.  It is painful to see the empty lots everytime one runs or drives by that site, yet it appears it will be that way for the foreseeable future. 

lol yeah I don't think the owner of the real estate is going to sell the property to the city at a discount.  They're not exactly in the business of charity.  There are a lot of other profitable ideas that will trump your suggestion.  Nice wishful thinking though.

What makes you think Regent Square is going to fail or only be one tower? Sure, progress has been slow, but everything I have heard leads me to believe that the Boston-based company is in it for the long haul and that they aren't going to sell land that they have owned for decades so that an ugly parking garage can be built for the Buffalo Bayou.

Additionally, why would you want a massive ten story garage hulking over a beautiful new park space? There are plenty of garages downtown that will allow one to access the park. Additionally, there will be street parking in abundance. And, the majority of current park users actually walk, bike, hike, or paddle their way to the area. Isn't that the whole point of adding new pedestrian bridges and trails?

• Like 7

Kinkaid -- what street parking is there for buffalo bayou where there is a pedestrian bridge?  The only bridge I know of on allen parkway is at allen parkway village, which is not an ideal spot. 

Yes, it is the 6 to 7 years after announcement with only minimal work that makes me doubt the project.  Just trying to brainstorm ideas to jump start this project.  I'm happy to hear other ideas. 

what street parking is there for buffalo bayou where there is a pedestrian bridge?  The only bridge I know of on allen parkway is at allen parkway village, which is not an ideal spot. 

There is quite a bit of on street parking on Memorial Heights drive, which is a short walk to the pedestrian bridge running by Studemont.

That is the crane that was being used on the Sovereign before the tower crane was erected. I believe it is now being used for loading items that are constructed and moved to the Sovereign site.

As far as what is being built there, I think that is just a mock-up for the outside finishing of the Sovereign.

It looks like they are moving forward with Phase II of this development. There is an article about this on the Chronicle website, but is only accessible to subscribers which I am not.

HOUSTON, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- GID Development Group announced today details of the highly anticipated Phase Two of Regent Square, a 24-acre, 4.2 million square foot mixed-use development located in the heart of the Inner Loop off of West Dallas. Phase Two will include the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, a sophisticated residential project featuring 160 apartments, and 15,000 square feet of restaurant spaces. Construction on Phase Two is slated to commence late 2013.

I'm kind of surprised they were able to land Alamo Drafthouse as a tenant. There is supposed to be another Drafthouse in Midtown which is not even open yet. This makes it 3 theaters that are going to be under construction soon in the West Loop.

There isn't a whole lot of residential construction in this phase, but I'm not complaining as this development is still moving along and not dead, This project was always going to take multiple phases to complete given that we are still recovering from a deep recession.

EDIT: I just read more of the press release. It says the Regent Square Alamo Drafthouse will be the first inside the loop, but the third location in Houston. I would assume they are referring to the one in Katy and the other at Vintage Park (which neither are technically in Houston). I wonder if they are dropping the Midtown location and changing to this location? I would be a little disappointed if that's the case because Midtown could use some more amenities besides bars and clubs. 

Edited by Rico Tubbs
  • Like 1

It looks like they are moving forward with Phase II of this development. There is an article about this on the Chronicle website, but is only accessible to subscribers which I am not.

This article?

http://www.chron.com/business/article/New-cinemas-in-Houston-give-luxury-a-starring-role-4276779.php?t=863144c6ed

For future reference, if you see an article on the paid Chron.com website, you can copy and paste the headline into google and find the entire article online for free. 

• Like 1

This article?

http://www.chron.com/business/article/New-cinemas-in-Houston-give-luxury-a-starring-role-4276779.php?t=863144c6ed

For future reference, if you see an article on the paid Chron.com website, you can copy and paste the headline into google and find the entire article online for free. 

Yep, that one. Thanks for the article and reference.

According to the article, the Midtown location is up in the air with possible alternatives, although they are still committed to serving that market. 

I'm surprised that there will be an Alamo Drafthouse here as well. The one in Midtown hasn't even began construction yet, so I wonder if possibly they decided to change locations? 

According to the aritcle:

"Looking in Midtown

Alamo Drafthouse had previously announced plans for a Midtown location at a proposed development on Louisiana, but Michaelsen said his group now is "reviewing alternate sites in Midtown for an Alamo and is committed to bringing the concept to that market."

He declined to elaborate."