Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

I agree BLVD Place, Regent Square, and High Street would have (& still may) change the game for Houston. Houston was late to the game as far as building mixed-used urban infill developments. The credit crunch has slowed us down considerably & I'm not sure that was necessarily a bad thing. My hope is that City Centre (& West Ave to a lesser extent) will be the game changers. I'm hoping other developers see City Centre's success out on the west side and try to emulate it inside the loop.

Here in Atlanta they were out front as far as securing financing for large urban infill developments & were able to complete quite a few projects before financing dried up. However, Atlanta severely overbuilt (a lot of those developments currently sit empty) & now they are paying the price with falling values which have disastrous effects on so many other fronts (i.e. local government tax collections, school budgets, lowered office rents, home values etc). Also at a time when we most need to be creating jobs, since everything is already built, construction related employment will be severely impacted for the forseeable future.

I often ask myself would it have been better for all the proposed trendy developments to have been built in Houston & just sit empty until the economy improves (I mean at least they would have already been built right, huh?) & I must say that I'm leaning more towards the old saying of "Slow and steady wins the race"! IMO (& I'm no expert) Atlanta is about to experience something similar to what Houston experienced (maybe lasting 5 years instead of 10 yrs) from the late 80's through the mid 90's when virtually nothing got built and land values had fallen so low that very few quality developments were proposed even after things had improved by 1995'-97'.

While I'm still looking forward to the change at Post Oak & San Felipe, I have never been totally pleased with the plan for BLVD Place (& I'm sure the developer couldn't care less about what pleases me lol). But it appears Ed Wulfe is more or less following the model of Uptown Park. Although Uptown Park by most accounts appears to have been a huge success, I think BLVD Place would complement or compete more favorably with Uptown Park if they offered something slightly different that's more urban/walkable like City Centre. My hope is that the delays caused by this recession will give planners in Houston an opportunity to refine their designs to offer something that's truly urbane.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

GID Urban Development, the developers of Regent Square also have a similar project going on in Atlanta, called High Street.

All I gotta say is, I'm a little jealous. But I guess only for the reason that theirs has more height and the picture of the plaza area with the convexed area looks sweet.

http://www.highstreetatlanta.com/indexFlash.html

Thoughts?

GID Urban Development, the developers of Regent Square also have a similar project going on in Atlanta, called High Street.

All I gotta say is, I'm a little jealous. But I guess only for the reason that theirs has more height and the picture of the plaza area with the convexed area looks sweet.

http://www.highstree...indexFlash.html

Thoughts?

Pretty, Pretty Nice....If R.Square ever gets built it will forever change that area

http://www.highstree...indexFlash.html

Thoughts?

yeaahhh jealous. crap

Thoughts?

Regent Square will be nowhere near a MetroRail line and that area overall is "close to everything" but sort of isolated as far as pedestrian action. I would love to see it happen but something like High Street there might be a major pig-in-a-poke.

Thoughts?

Why must we always look for reasons to be jealous of developments in other cities? High Street is at Perimeter Center, 13 miles from downtown Atlanta. I'll take Regent Square, 2 1/2 miles from downtown Houston any day.

• Like 2

Thoughts?

Why must we always look for reasons to be jealous of developments in other cities? High Street is at Perimeter Center, 13 miles from downtown Atlanta. I'll take Regent Square, 2 1/2 miles from downtown Houston any day.

If Regent Square is built to the plans as of now, it will be way awesome. I'm just being greedy ;)

A development of that size in suburban Atlanta will also be accessed 90% by cars.

I can't find any renderings of it online. I'd like to see more because the ones on their website sure do hide the parking garages pretty well. If they're underground, I'll be doubly jealous.

I can't find any renderings of it online. I'd like to see more because the ones on their website sure do hide the parking garages pretty well. If they're underground, I'll be doubly jealous.

If the traffic near nearly half as bad as City Centre (CENTER, DAMNIT!), they have to at least incorporate some sort of shuttle to downtown, if not to Westheimer.

Before you get suicidal, High Street was announced around the same time as Regent Square and I think the progress on it has been similar to the progress on Regent Square.

Edited by Houston19514

Before you got suicidal, take a look at the flash website for Regent Square. The parking structures are hidden in that presentation too.

Also, High Street was announced around the same time as Regent Square and I think the progress on it has been similar to the progress on Regent Square.

Suicidal...lol.

I've seen the 'hidden' garages for RS as they're easily noticable. However, I cannot see any 'hidden' garages on the flash site for Atlanta's project. I'm sure they're there somewhere, that's why I'm wondering if there are more renderings in addition to their website that might show them. Either they're hidden better than RS, simply not seen in the website renderings or most fearful at all...DUN dun DUUUuunnn, underground.

And you're right, I saw an article saying they should break ground around '12 or '13, same as us.

this thing isn't going to be built by these guys. i think they should sell the property so that it can be put to some good use--i vote for a grocery store.

They've been quoted as saying that they've owned the land for 30+ years or something like that, so they're not gonna just sell it away.

• 1 month later...

So, had the developers of Regent Square had their financing in place before annd started construction on time, they would be now taking advantage of the lack of multi-family housing in the Houston area. Couple that with the success of simialr type of developments and the proximity to downtown, I'm sure it would be a great asset right now. Anyone have information on when they plan to break ground and if they are changing th escope from what we were presented before the hold?

http://www.builderonline.com/multifamily/hottest-multifamily-markets-for-2011.aspx#

• 1 month later...

Some promising details in Bisnow today. http://www.bisnow.co...ory.php?p=14834

"In other area news, the former Houston Ballet building on West Gray, which Dave helped sell to Novare in ’09 went back to the bank and resold to multifamily developer Slosberg. (Again with Dave and Jeff’s help…seeing a trend?) Marvy Finger’s currently developing 10.3 acres at Waugh and W. Dallas (C&W represented AIG in selling the land to Marvy), and Regent Square is set to break ground next year. That project will include 400k SF of retail and restaurants, 240k SF of office, 1,000 apartment units, and 500 condos. Washington Heights breaks ground this year, and there’s a Kroger planned at Studemont and I-10. And last but not least, a tract at Sawyer and Washington recently sold to a multifamily developer. Catch all that?"

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

The developer of Regent Square, a proposed mixed-use project at Dunlavy and Allen Parkway, said the company is "in discussions with several significant tenants."

Luxury apartments are also being considered for the site, according to John Darrah of Boston-based GID Urban Development Group.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7655882.html#ixzz1STlambli Edited by lockmat