Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

I believe that in order to get certain kick backs from the city they must prove that they have started construction by the end of the year. If anything they are beginning to do the infrastructure work but not necessarily to start construction on the project.

Agreed regarding the infrastructure work. To get the City's stimulus money, they have to start infrastructural work by October 1, 2009, but they don't have to start the private development until October 1, 2010. So I wouldn't expect the actual development to begin until mid-2010 unless conditions change. I'm just glad to finally see activity on these huge lots that have been empty and untouched for the past 2 years.

• 1 month later...

Agreed regarding the infrastructure work. To get the City's stimulus money, they have to start infrastructural work by October 1, 2009, but they don't have to start the private development until October 1, 2010. So I wouldn't expect the actual development to begin until mid-2010 unless conditions change. I'm just glad to finally see activity on these huge lots that have been empty and untouched for the past 2 years.

Does anyone have any updates on this project? There was some brief activity just north and south of W Dallas to the west of Dunlavy, and every now and then I see someone cleaning up the lots and performing general maintenance. Other than that nothing seems to be happening. However, there are always people around the complex of constuction trailers on West Dallas. I wonder if this project is dead.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw on a construction search/bid engine with Regent Square phase II listed for groundbreaking of February 2011. It was reported on January 2010. I did not see anything about Phase I.

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=15796856

Last Verified 5/26/2010 Listing ID 15796856

Space Available: 165,000 SFRental Rate: $26 /SF/Year<LI>Space Type: Office Building<LI>Min. Divisible: 15,000 SF<LI>Max. Contiguous: 165,000 SF<LI>Lease Type: NNN<LI class=last>Date Available: Jun 2011

Very interesting... maybe this is a good sign... says last verified May 26, 2010 and date available June 2011... I wonder if this is scheduled to go ahead with or without a certain percentage of pre-leasing..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just moved close to this proposed development and am selfishly posting in hopes of stirring up some more information on Regent Square.

The chic Regent Square office on Dunlavy has been empty (no cars, not sure if it is even open) every time I've driven by, but the construction office around the corner has been busy, although I'm not sure if it is related to the development.

Crossing my fingers. I really think this development can set the standard for inner loop mixed-use.

• Like 1

I just moved close to this proposed development and am selfishly posting in hopes of stirring up some more information on Regent Square.

The chic Regent Square office on Dunlavy has been empty (no cars, not sure if it is even open) every time I've driven by, but the construction office around the corner has been busy, although I'm not sure if it is related to the development.

Crossing my fingers. I really think this development can set the standard for inner loop mixed-use.

Is the construction office on the Regent Sq property?

Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread is one of those that every time it pops up in new posts, I get really excited. So can we implement some rule (which I am violating right now) that you can't post anything to this thread unless there is some actual change or new information? Who isn't on the edge of their seat just waiting for this to become a reality!!??

Annise kept name dropping them, didn't she, in the whole 380 tax deals debate in the Heights WM discussions? I thought that might be a sign that Houston would be pushing it along soonly

Name dropping who/what? This development or just the developers?

• 4 weeks later...

I drove by the site this morning, and there is a large excavator on the site, along with a dumpster and fuel tank. They seem to have started breaking up the concrete pads just south of W Dallas near the cemetery. Perhaps this is to comply with the tax rebates they are seeking. For some reason a start date of October 2010 comes to mind.

• Like 1

I drove by the site this morning, and there is a large excavator on the site, along with a dumpster and fuel tank. They seem to have started breaking up the concrete pads just south of W Dallas near the cemetery. Perhaps this is to comply with the tax rebates they are seeking. For some reason a start date of October 2010 comes to mind.

I've noticed this too, but I wouldn't read much into it. They've been doing pretty minor work on the site sporadically for the past couple of years, yet it still looks virtually the same as it did in 2007. They've also marked the Dunlavy / W. Dallas sidewalks for ramps and improvements at the intersection.

My guess, however, is that the original "stimulus" deal with the tax rebate is dead. It required infrastructural improvements to begin by October 2009 and private development to begin by October 2010 (as reported by Chron).

Latest word (cited above) is that private development may start in 2012 (http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/08-09-10-montrose-fields-forever-theres-a-billion-dollar-regent-square-project-among-those-weeds/). I may be misinterpreting what the original deal was, but I wouldn't think that a 2012 (or later) development was what everyone had in mind when the City was trying to "stimulate" its way out of the bottom of the recession in early 2009.

I wonder if this recession has set Houston back in urban progression more than any other city? Without it, Houston was going down a road relatively fast towards being very different.

I'm sure the project will still be nice, but just a blip on the screen compared to what it could have been. It seems a lot more has been cancelled than what is being told.

I wonder if this recession has set Houston back in urban progression more than any other city? Without it, Houston was going down a road relatively fast towards being very different.

I'm sure the project will still be nice, but just a blip on the screen compared to what it could have been. It seems a lot more has been cancelled than what is being told.

As bad as it has been here, we're in waaaaay better shape than other Sunbelt cities such as Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and LA.

As bad as it has been here, we're in waaaaay better shape than other Sunbelt cities such as Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and LA.

But I'm curious. If we compared developments planned prior to the collapse to what developments were cancelled or downsized and then compare the change the city would have gone from pre-recession to post-recession, which city would have changed the most? BLVD Place, Regent Square and High Steet really would have changed the game for Houston. I'm curious if those other cities would have changed as much with their cancellations/downsizes. I'm not sure the effect of the landscape would have been as drastic.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear, probably not.