Inwood Forest Developments

TAK

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps if people stopped perpetuating the rumors, good people would move in and stay.

you've only been there a year... I grew up there from 1980-1991.... many good people did live there and some still do... the first wave left because of crime... now people leave because of crime and flooding...

I think you would be shocked to see what type of neighborhood IF was back then it it's prime... it was a fantastic place.... people didn't leave because of "rumors"....

I wish you the best in that area and hope that nothing bad ever happens to you or your home... the reality is that everyone in that area has some story of a crime or crimes occuring... cross your fingers and hope for the best, but don't expect any property appreciation or for things to get better...

TAK,

I'm a resident of Oaks of Inwood since 2001. I'd seriously suggest you take a look there. There are only 251 homes in the division.

I live on the west side of T. C. Jester. The homes there are probably what you are looking for, many have pools, and the neighborhood is ultra quiet. I mean, there just isn't much happening over here (crimewise). You might want to verify that with you local security patrol guys, but my subjective observation as well as my conversations with the neighbor hood busy body hasn't revealed very much crime.

The Texas state representative for the area lives in the neighborhood, and W. Little York park (just behind Oaks of Inwood 2 - east side of T. C. Jester) is finally being developed (It's been renamed after the state rep., Sylvester Turner).

Unfortunately, Oaks of Inwood is suffering from the same economic issues as Greater Inwood, but he natural barriers coupled with the limited access (only 3 entries/exits on my side and 1 entry/exit for Oaks of Inwood 2).

The biggest (eyesore) is the 2 apartment complexes adjacent to Oaks of Inwood on W. Little York. I've always wondered if there was something that could be done with that. My idea was always to tear 'em down and extend Oaks of Inwood to W. Little York.

As for flooding, I, as well as most of the neigborhood, was not affected by Allison. Some along Athlon got some flooding (there is a small north/south creek flowing along the western boundary of the neighborhood), but nearly everyone else was spared. Also, I don't believe there was any flooding in Oaks of Inwood 2.

If you don't have to leave the country, consider looking just down the street.

Also, as far as the Acres Home development, check out Masfield and De Soto between T. C. Jester and Wheatly. Quite a few mini mansions have been built there in the past couple of years. The land tracts are HUGE in that area.

Lastly, what do you know about the Greater Inwood Partnership and how do they compare to IFCIA? I did speak with GIP once and they seemed to be involved in some revitalization of Inwood, esp. along Antoine. I believe they are responsible for all the new trees and greenery along the esplanades.

I've often wondered if it would ever be possible to make Antoine look similar to streets like Clear Lake City Blvd. between State Hwy. 3 and Space Center Blvd.

Also, has anyone ever eaten at the Inwood Forest Country Club restaurant?

My daily commute on Antione Drive does pain me. How I long for a Starbucks or a nice restaurant or gourmet shop to appear! I expect it will be a long time if/when that ever happens. However, those things do exist nearby; at the Antione Dr. exit off 290, right on my way to-from work every day, there are a number of decent shops including a new Starbucks and a Randalls.

You know, before Randall's closed I always thought the perfect place for a Starbucks that abandonded retail space at the NW corner of Antoine and Victory. But, alas, Randall's has closed (and replaced with Foodarma from Antoine and Gulf Bank) and half of that retail space now houses a "pay day loan/check cashing place". I dont' think there is a chance in H-E double hockey sticks that Starbucks would ever approve of a franchise next to a check cashing place (not that they would have approved at any time considering all their "neighborhood income qualifications"). As you said, at least there is Antoine and US 290.

P.S. Why not extend T.C. Jester Park north beyond where it currently ends (near Tidwell, I think) all the way up to Inwood? There is a lot of undeveloped land along T.C. Jester that could be incorporated into the rest of the White Oak bayou greenway with bike paths and trails that terminate at Inwood. (Ashame to see the remaining open space developed into additional strip malls, Dollar Stores or God forbid low-rent apartments!)

Well, I fear that is exactly what's going to happen. Most of the land along T. C. Jester has been declared as commercial land and it will proably be sold for non-related and uncoordinated retail space.

the space on tc jester is going to be strips and affordable housing. i don't mind afforadable housing that isn't apartments.

strips, generally, suck.

i'd go to a starbucks at victory and antoine, just to keep it there. perhaps, if the rumors of the increase in the gay population (and their disposable income) in IF is true, a starbucks will come... i doubt it.

i'm so sad about IF. and i don't know where to move...

Also, has anyone ever eaten at the Inwood Forest Country Club restaurant?
Yes, many times. But then, Michelle and I were members there. She had been a member for quite a few years, and I for about 4 years after we started going together. The food is OK, and some dishes are really good. But overall, I was rarely impressed.

I did come close to getting thrown out of the restaurant once. They had an all-you-can-eat special on lobster one Sunday. After the 8th one, I started getting dirty looks from the new manager. I quit after the 13th. I could have eaten more, but I didn

the space on tc jester is going to be strips and affordable housing. i don't mind afforadable housing that isn't apartments.

strips, generally, suck.

i'd go to a starbucks at victory and antoine, just to keep it there. perhaps, if the rumors of the increase in the gay population (and their disposable income) in IF is true, a starbucks will come... i doubt it.

i'm so sad about IF. and i don't know where to move...

Have you considered Woodwind Lakes (over on Fairbanks - N. Houston)?

The strangest thing just happened. I asked earlier if anyone had heard of the Greater Inwood Partnership. Well, I had attended a one of their board meetings well over a year ago. I asked that they send me some info on becoming a general member. They never got back in touch with me. I never called them or attended another meeting.

Well, several minutes ago, out of the blue, the VP gave me a call. They are having some sort of meeting on 07/27, in the clubhouse, and asked if I could attend, mostly because they don't have any representation from Oaks of Inwood.

Also, they now have a web site: http://greaterinwoodpartnership.org. I haven't looked at it yet, so I don't know what's all there.

I do know that they have been working with the Near Northwest Management District and the Super Neighborhoods organization to improve the community in and around Inwood Forest. At least somebody is trying.

For those of you who have a soft spot in your hearts for Inwood Forest, maybe this or similar community organization would be a good one to get involved with to affect change. At the least, you could start with your HOA meetings.

I'll be the first to say that I've done none of it. For whatever reason, I've never been able to attend an HOA meeting as long as I've been in Oaks of Inwood. Firstly they are usually held around 7 pm, one Thursday in the month. I'm not usually home until around 7 pm. Either that or me and my family are just sitting down to dinner around then.

But, I've resigned that I need to sacrifice that time once a month to start getting involved. I really hate the way the neighborhood around Inwood is going. The neighborhoods themselves are wonderful and beautiful places to live in, but Antoine (upper and lower - south of Holleyview and north of Gulf Bank) really need some help. And the Inwood Oaks strip center (where Chuck E. Cheese is) . . . ., well . . . all I can say is it can't stay that way if we want to live in a place that continues to thrive and improve. I figure any little bit these organizations can do to help can't be bad.

I know GIP had a lot to do with that park that opened up across from House of Pies. Of course, it could be better, but it won

ooires... thanks for that info... i might be able to make that meeting... i'm like you. i have been thinking about getting involved, but have yet to attend an IF North HOA meeting.

How is Oaks of Inwood? My wife and I like that spot. We've looked at a couple houses over there - on both sides of TC Jester. It looks nice and is still on our list, except that we will probably leave IF altogether if things to change soon.

Yes, many times. But then, Michelle and I were members there. She had been a member for quite a few years, and I for about 4 years after we started going together. The food is OK, and some dishes are really good. But overall, I was rarely impressed.

I did come close to getting thrown out of the restaurant once. They had an all-you-can-eat special on lobster one Sunday. After the 8th one, I started getting dirty looks from the new manager. I quit after the 13th. I could have eaten more, but I didn

ooires... sorry, i totally missed your post 68 previously (somehow?!)

my wife and i have driven oaks of inwood many times. we like the west side, because it seems more like a neighborhood than the east side, which is just a few houses. However, the east side has a few empty lots, so if we decided to build we could do what some of the others have done - buy two lots. i'd like the land/space.

Oaks of Inwood is still on our list. Since my wife isn't working, we have a baby due in a few weeks, and I'm in sales, I'm a bit more cautious with the spending right now. If my year works out, we'll probably move somewhere. I plan to keep this house, too, which is what makes $$$ an issue (until I can get it leased out.)

or maybe i can do a project or two with ldogg and make it bigg. :P

ooires... sorry, i totally missed your post 68 previously (somehow?!)

my wife and i have driven oaks of inwood many times. we like the west side, because it seems more like a neighborhood than the east side, which is just a few houses. However, the east side has a few empty lots, so if we decided to build we could do what some of the others have done - buy two lots. i'd like the land/space.

Oaks of Inwood is still on our list. Since my wife isn't working, we have a baby due in a few weeks, and I'm in sales, I'm a bit more cautious with the spending right now. If my year works out, we'll probably move somewhere. I plan to keep this house, too, which is what makes $$$ an issue (until I can get it leased out.)

or maybe i can do a project or two with ldogg and make it bigg. :P

I went to the GIP meeting. It was very informative. It was not a general meeting, but a meeting of the board memebers. Those individuals are doing quite a bit and I think they could really use some help.

Later that night, while web surfing, I stumbled across the IFCIA web site. As it turns out, the IFCIA president is on the GIP board! Whodda' thunk it.

At the least, I'm happy to see that they replaced the old Randall's with a Foodtown (Foodarama?). If anything, a large empty retail parcel only helps promote the notion of blight and decay. With the arrival of FT/Foodarama, it helps that shopping plaza remain relevant and I imagine help commercial property values at least remain constant.

If only the city or whichever subdivision nearest would do a better job of maintaining the median of Antoine between W. Little York and Tidwell.

WHOA... in no way is a Foodarama any way a positive for that area.... granted, it is better than a vacancy, but not much... it is more of just a marker for where that neighborhood has gone... I remember when Randall's opened in the 80s... it was a great time for the area and we were all happy... it was as if IF had "arrived" as a nice place.... now Randall's is gone and Foodarama is more of a signal that IF is for low income people... frankly I'm surprised that Randall's held out as long as they did there...

i have mixed feelings about foodarama moving into the old randall's box.

on one hand, the old foodarama was close to my house, but the box itself was terrible. the 'new' foodarama store is way nicer. i wouldn't go to the old one, except in a pinch. this one i go to... although the orange walls with blue words drive me insane.

and on the flip side, i agree with ldogg... randall's to foodarama, while better than randall's to empty box, is in no way, an upgrade over what was here when i moved here.

maybe an HEB (not an HEB pantry) will come to the area... (i can dream) instead of letting the best store be the Kroger at Antoine & 249 or the Kroger at Antoine & Pinemont.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. Just wanted to add my two cents in the Inwood Forest discussion.

Compared to what I had seen in the other neighborhoods, I was amazed. It seemed to be a great value to have all this space and be able to look out the "wall of windows" in the living room of a custom-built home (1978) and instead of seeing the ubiquitous 6' privacy fence that boxes in just about every back yard in Houston, to have the lovely pool, the green open spaces of the fairway and friendly, smiling golfers waving as they wiz by in thier golf carts.

I am considering moving to Houston, and I asked my sister, who lives north of Westheimer, about 1.5 miles west of downtown, whether I should buy a wonderful-appearing house in IF, on the golf course, with a pool, with interesting architecture. She responded the neighborhood is in free-fall because of crime spreading from adjacent apartment neighborhoods, and that the golf course is deteriorating and probably about to fail. Does everyone agree with this?

Are gay people really moving in? That would be a plus for me. :rolleyes:

How bad is the crime, really? Is it a myth or does it affect regular people? I don't like guns pointed at me, and I want to live another day.

I am considering moving to Houston, and I asked my sister, who lives north of Westheimer, about 1.5 miles west of downtown, whether I should buy a wonderful-appearing house in IF, on the golf course, with a pool, with interesting architecture. She responded the neighborhood is in free-fall because of crime spreading from adjacent apartment neighborhoods, and that the golf course is deteriorating and probably about to fail. Does everyone agree with this?

Are gay people really moving in? That would be a plus for me. :rolleyes:

How bad is the crime, really? Is it a myth or does it affect regular people? I don't like guns pointed at me, and I want to live another day.

The crime does not affect 'regular' people. The crime is usually in the apartment areas among people who know each other. Having said that, there were a couple of car break-ins on my street at one point, but that passed. Kinda like what could happen anywhere.

The houses are nice. The neighborhoods are nice. The apartments north and south of IF suck.

If I were moving to Houston, I'd only move to IF if I wanted the cheapest/closest. If I could afford to move somewhere else that was close, I'd do that. The value of IF seems to not increase. I don't see how that can stay the same. Once the flooding issue is addressed, which will be shortly, and the White Oak / Vogel Creek bike trail is extended to Victory, the only 'problem' will be the apartments on the edges... at some point those will be cheap enough that someone will buy'em knock'em down and develop over'em... 20 minutes to downtown and the galleria... without touching a freeway... good location for me...

But they say there are gay people moving to IF... I don't notice... or care...

• 1 month later...

Antoine and DeSoto getting some negative run in the chron... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4242384.html

I wonder how long until all of those apartments get crushed and that area moves to the north side of IF, which looks rough, but hasn't had any problems that I know of (and I go through the area daily). I think the schools save the area from getting really bad.

Thieves still walk along Antoine Forest's streets with towels in hand, which they use to protect their arms when they break into cars and homes.
Niiice; and when I lived in the Inwood Forest Village area (close to where this area is) I just thought a lot of people carried sweat towels around.

• 2 weeks later...

TAK... any more flooding over there this week?

and to the poster looking for gay friendly areas... my understanding is that Westbury is becoming a hot spot for gay couples... it is affordable and near the loop... most houses are 60s ranch style about 1500-2100 sq ft in size and priced from $130-175k.... it would seem to be a good place to get in for future appreciation...

as for those apartments on Antoine/DeSoto... one of my best friends grew up there... I remember playing in the parking lots back when it was a relatively new complex... nice place... now it is murder central... incredible!

• 2 weeks later...
TAK... any more flooding over there this week?

and to the poster looking for gay friendly areas... my understanding is that Westbury is becoming a hot spot for gay couples... it is affordable and near the loop... most houses are 60s ranch style about 1500-2100 sq ft in size and priced from $130-175k.... it would seem to be a good place to get in for future appreciation...

as for those apartments on Antoine/DeSoto... one of my best friends grew up there... I remember playing in the parking lots back when it was a relatively new complex... nice place... now it is murder central... incredible!

ldogg... no flooding during this past storm that i know of. i went to the foodarama (old randall's) on that tuesday and everything was fine. i was out of town the rest of the week, but when i got back, i didn't see the usual signs of flooding (cars in medians, mud in streets, etc...) most of the rain has been south and east of here, with a few storms hitting.

as for DeSoto... i rode my motorcycle over there just yesterday. there were three cop cars patrolling and lots of people walking around. it's funny, every time i go down DeSoto just to scout it out, I see lots of people, but no trouble. I see the Candlelight condos that need to be torn down or totally rehabbed. A few people screw that area up for everyone.

in other IF news...

Little York is closed at Vogel Creek. The work on the creek is moving along and I've noticed the city is trying to sell Arbor Oaks. I *HOPE* houses go in there, not apartments. I also hope the White Oak Bayou plan really takes hold. The Vogel Creek section could help revive the area.

Also, surveyors were out on the golf course this week, surveying "for a possible sale of the course." I hope this is a sell to the city. I would like the IF course to be public so I could play on it from time to time (I'm not a prive country club member type... i'm a cheap bastard.) Also I think having the IF course public could help start a revitalization... people come to play golf... see nices houses on or near a golf course for sale for $55/sf 10 miles from the galleria area... and then it begins...

i'm actually considering stayin in IF for good. i'd have to get a bigger place, and i know i'd have to update it, which i'd be willing to do if i was staying... and i'd have to send my son to private school... (sigh).

GF and I were members of IFCC before moving to Bastrop. Many of our friends are still, or, in most cases, once were members of the club. Membership has declined dramatically recently, and very few new members are joining. I reckon it won't be long before Stacy will be forced to sell the place.

They recently held the Women's Club Championship, and I believe only 11 ladies signed up. In the past, there were at least that many foursomes participating. That's a sure sign the place in on its last leg.

• 2 months later...

My partner and I are moving from Indiana and are getting ready to purchase a property in Inwood Forest. Being fairly close to downtown Houston, I am hoping that the neighborhood makes a turn-around in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any rumors of the Inwood Forest Country Club (private golf course) going public? or any rumors of the surrounding area being cleaned up any? Thanks.

My partner and I are moving from Indiana and are getting ready to purchase a property in Inwood Forest. Being fairly close to downtown Houston, I am hoping that the neighborhood makes a turn-around in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any rumors of the Inwood Forest Country Club (private golf course) going public? or any rumors of the surrounding area being cleaned up any? Thanks.

I am probably more open to transitional neighborhoods than many people. Having lived in Houston a while I have seen areas go from sketchy to trendy in just a few years time. Even so I tend to lean toward the pessimistic side on any major gentrification in the Inwood area.

Inwood Forest offers a lot of home for the money. It's close proximity to "town" depends of course on who you talk to. On the bell curve it is pretty good in that respect.

As far as it changing in the near future my opinion is no. What you see is what you get. There are many people who like living in Inwood & that is not surprising given its nice homes at bargain prices, & the golf course, but I think to be satisfied with it you have to accept it somewhat as is.

The Antione apartment district, especially around Desoto, is especially rough. This provides some level of deterrent to improvement. The second issue is that while Inwood offers some beautiful homes, they are not of any specific sought after architecture that is usually part of what sparks a gentrification movement. People moved in & gentrified the Heights years ago because they wanted the Victorian and bungalow styles, people will brave the transitional neighborhood factors of Eastwood to get a great bungalow or arts & crafts style home, people brave the same issues in Glenbrook to get a mid-century modern, so on & so forth. Inwood has some quality housing stock, but not anything IMO that is currently considered strong architecturally. If 70's moderns become sought after in the same manner that mid-century moderns are now, that could possibly change.

Eventually, it could benefit from the increased popularity of Oak Forest, but I see that as a long way off.

If you are happy with the home you selected, your street and neighbors are good, then you should be okay with your decision to purchase there. Once again, I would just accept it as is and not expect big changes within the next 5 years.

If you are happy with the home you selected, your street and neighbors are good, then you should be okay with your decision to purchase there. Once again, I would just accept it as is and not expect big changes within the next 5 years.

This is pretty much the deal. I live in Inwood North, just behind the golf course. As Rob points out, there are sketchy areas (apartments in Inwood South at Antoine & DeSoto and Inwood North at Antoine and Gulf Bank.) Most of the people who live in the houses have been around for a while and are really nice. There have been a few auto break-ins (I've had a smashed window and so has my neighbor), so park in the garage if you can, but other than that, no problems. One neighbor had their door kicked in and some specific stuff stolen (we suspect it was an "inside job," based on what wasn't taken)

There are discussions/rumors around the golf course going public. A surveyor has been out a few times and my neighbor has asked the surveyor why he was out there, "possible sale of the property" was the answer.

IMO, the major thing IF has going for it is the proximity to "town". You can't get a nicer home any closer for a better price. Many of the homes are custom, and yes, 70s modern.

Because of all of the apartments, I don't expect much of a rise in property values. However, I do expect people to do quite a bit of updating inside the homes - it's time.

I'm originally from Indiana - Richmond. Welcome to Texas. You'll never want to live in Indiana again.

Archived