The 2008 Presidential Race thread

DJ V Lawrence

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the anti-choice crowd is zeroing in on Romney. Look for more slash and burn treatment for McCain and Giuliani in the near future.

Yet more trouble for Romney at the March for Life

By Liz Mair, Section News

Posted on Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 10:55:20 AM EST

A source on the ground at the March for Life just phoned to say that several thousand leaflets that state that as late as 2005, Romney backed forcing Catholic hospitals to dispense RU-486, are also circulating.

The source of that story appears to be the AP, via the Massachusetts newspaper South Coast Today which wrote this on December 9, 2005:

The Republicans have some serious issues to overcome, the number one being the Christian Conservative voting bloc. If 2000 is any guide, they are the ones who vote as a majority in the Republican primaries while the moderates stay home. Bush beat McCain for the nomination thanks to them. McCain and Guliani are probably the Republican's best hopes for pulling swing voters to their side in the general election, but neither is socially conservative enough to attract the Christian Conservatives in the primaries, so I don't think either will get the chance. I think when it's all said and done Brownback will be the Republican nomination to the delight of Democrats. I don't have a clue as to who will get the Democrat nod, but as long as they don't slice eachother's throats to get the nomination, they will win.

My question is, what do you consider more important when voting? Domestic issues, international, war, civil rights, etc??

The number one thing I consider above everything else is the candidates moral issues: abortion, stem cell research, etc...

Then I look at the other issues at hand.

My question is, what do you consider more important when voting? Domestic issues, international, war, civil rights, etc??

The number one thing I consider above everything else is the candidates moral issues, abortion, stem cell research, etc...

The open borders is what i think is the big issue. I believe that the next terrorist attack will involve something that was smuggle in from the other side of the border.

The number one thing I consider above everything else is the candidates moral issues: abortion, stem cell research, etc...

I think the greatest debate and voter influence in this election will be on Iraq and what each candidate's plans are for the next 4-8 years. Iraq is probably the biggest reason why Bush has a 28% approval rating (according to CBS) in contrast to the same president's 82% approval rating a few weeks after Sept. 11.

I mention that because I'm curious of the Republican campaign approach. It's not completely over for the Republicans in 2008 for two reasons:

1) Americans have ADD. I don't think Bush's approval rating will be this low throughout the rest of '07. If so, then damn.

2) Between the four most popular candidates thus far from both parties (McCain, Obama, Clinton, and Guliani), McCain has the most veteran military experience, and has always been outspoken against both parties' policies if he didn't agree with them. That could be a major strongpoint should he win the GOP. If he doesn't, it's hard to see Obama or Clinton lose to any other candidates (especially if they were smart and pulled off a Kerry/Edwards '04)

With all due respect, the last thing I would look for is a candidate's stands on "moral" issues. I have no desire to have anyone tell me who I should sleep with; who has the right to tell my sisters what to do with their wombs; who has the right to determine which stem cells derived from blastocyst might be used to cure my buddy's diabetes. I'll leave the medical questions to medical proffesionals; I'll leave the tax/spend/borrow issues to the elected officials and suggest they leave me and mine alone when it comes to who we sleep with and what we do with our own bodys.

I think the greatest debate and voter influence in this election will be on Iraq and what each candidate's plans are for the next 4-8 years. Iraq is probably the biggest reason why Bush has a 28% approval rating (according to CBS) in contrast to the same president's 82% approval rating a few weeks after Sept. 11.

I mention that because I'm curious of the Republican campaign approach. It's not completely over for the Republicans in 2008 for two reasons:

1) Americans have ADD. I don't think Bush's approval rating will be this low throughout the rest of '07. If so, then damn.

2) Between the four most popular candidates thus far from both parties (McCain, Obama, Clinton, and Guliani), McCain has the most veteran military experience, and has always been outspoken against both parties' policies if he didn't agree with them. That could be a major strongpoint should he win the GOP. If he doesn't, it's hard to see Obama or Clinton lose to any other candidates (especially if they were smart and pulled off a Kerry/Edwards '04)

McCain and Guliani are toast unless the Republicans shed themselves ot the Christian Taliban. As of today, that only leaves them Brownback.

What I'm more interested in is the views and choices of vets like you and my nephew.

Who's your pick as of today?

UGGGGGGGGG. I suppose we got off on this abortion tangent because it will be a big issue for McCain, Romney and Guliani-which is unfortunate for the GOP.

Perhaps the Republican's need a new grass-roots effort to take back their party from the extremists who will certainly block the above mentioned from ever getting close to the nomination. I'd love to see a Clinton/Guliani match-up but Guliani hasn't a snowball's chance in hell as it stands now.

UGGGGGGGGG. I suppose we got off on this abortion tangent because it will be a big issue for McCain, Romney and Guliani-which is unfortunate for the GOP.

Perhaps the Republican's need a new grass-roots effort to take back their party from the extremists who will certainly block the above mentioned from ever getting close to the nomination. I'd love to see a Clinton/Guliani match-up but Guliani hasn't a snowball's chance in hell as it stands now.

It is a big issue for everyone.

With all due respect, the last thing I would look for is a candidate's stands on "moral" issues.

I agree. To me, a president's stance on things like abortion and gay marriage isn't as important as his stance on the economy and where to send American troops. Not saying those types of issues don't matter, but they don't deserve the same amount of attention.

What I'm more interested in is the views and choices of vets like you and my nephew.

Who's your pick as of today?

If the election were held today, I'd choose Obama, and if not him, then either Clinton or McCain. Biggest reason is because I'm more aware of their stances than any others running. I think all three would be responsible when it came to the economy and how to finish our missions in Iraq with a victory so my friends could come home.

I like Obama's lack of politics, and his bi-partisan approach. I want to look into Clinton and McCain more in terms of their stance on issues, but both have a great history. Hilary and John both know how Washington work. McCain has a VERY strong military history, which I think would help his credibility with strategics, but I just don't know enough yet. Clinton as well; I want to know more.

Guliani did a great job after September 11th, but don't get it twisted; I still don't know what his plans are as president. He did what we expect a good leader to do. What I'm curious about is what he would do as president from preventing a major attack like that from happening while he were in office, post "war on terror". And I'm curious what his economic stance is that would stand out more than Obama, Clinton, and McCain.

I wanna see some debates and hear more on their stance before I say "this is the person I want".

I want Barack Obama, but I don't think America is ready for a Black president yet. Lou Dobbs needs to run for president, though. He has some good views.

Republicans and Democrats are looking the same every year, though. We need somebody new and different. I think Obama, even though he is Democrat, stands out. I actually wouldn't mind Clinton II in the White House because the first Clinton led the country through one of its most prosperous periods. The last two Republican presidents (George Bush Sr. and George Bush Jr.) have led America through two wars. Can't have that again.

Bush Jr. has done so many damn things to this country that it gets me pissed. Over 3,000 soldiers, a lot with young kids and wives/husbands, are dead because of him. Now he is sending more troops to Iraq? I don't understand him. Minimal wage needs to go up and heath care needs improvement. We can't let America's middle class (280 million out of the 300 million) disappear. America would look no better than North Korea, a country with a wide gap between the rich and poor.

Well, good luck finding a candidate that opposes all abortion and favors saving all embryos and how he or she plans to pay for it.

You must have read into my comment too much. I didn't state I was looking for that candidate. I was only bringing up an issue.

pic_obama_bio.jpg

I'm all for cleanliness.

:lol: Yea, Biden really stuck his foot in it this time I think. He can wipe away any thought he had about hopefully gaining a nod as the Democrat front runner. I especially like how he tried to use his Mama to deflect it as an old saying She ALWAYS said when he was growing up. "Clean as a whistle, sharp as a tack." Rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggtttttttt

ttttttttttttt, Mr. Biden, the 'ol "My mother used to say it all the time" defense. That's the ticket.

I wonder what else Biden has in HIS "storybook" ?

I tell ya though, put a Republican Senator in Biden's spot, and what kind of backlash from the Rainbow Coalition do you think there would be ?

:lol: Yea, Biden really stuck his foot in it this time I think. He can wipe away any thought he had about hopefully gaining a nod as the Democrat front runner. I especially like how he tried to use his Mama to deflect it as an old saying She ALWAYS said when he was growing up. "Clean as a whistle, sharp as a tack." Rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggggtttttttt

ttttttttttttt, Mr. Biden, the 'ol "My mother used to say it all the time" defense. That's the ticket.

I tell ya though, put a Republican Senator in Biden's spot, and what kind of backlash from the Rainbow Coalition do you think there would be ?

I must have missed something.....

:lol: I gotta tell you, when I heard that today I thought that must be the world's record for the shortest Presidential campaign in history. This is one time when both ends of the media are on the same page-from Koss to Limbaugh. It may have been completly innocent but it was politically naive.

I must have missed something.....

Here ya go CDeb, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070201/pl_nm/...tics_biden_dc_7

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...08_x.htm?csp=34

My favorite part of the first piece is where Jesse Jackson says," it was just a blunder." What a friggin' double standard.

:lol: I gotta tell you, when I heard that today I thought that must be the world's record for the shortest Presidential campaign in history. This is one time when both ends of the media are on the same page-from Koss to Limbaugh. It may have been completly innocent but it was politically naive.

Well, at least Biden can say he brought both parties together in humor > :)

Here ya go CDeb, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070201/pl_nm/...tics_biden_dc_7

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...08_x.htm?csp=34

My favorite part of the first piece is where Jesse Jackson says," it was just a blunder." What a friggin' double standard.

Thanks for the hookup. I wonder if Jesse thinks Trent Lott just made a "blunder." :rolleyes:

Thanks for the hookup. I wonder if Jesse thinks Trent Lott just made a "blunder." :rolleyes:

As I recall, Jesse gave Trent Lott both barrels. Now if Trent had been honoring Sen. Robert "KKKleagle" Byrd, he probably would have gotten a pass.

I like Barack Obama; nice enough guy, but waaaaayyy too new to politics and WAY too liberal! I checked out the way he votes and I just don't agree with it.

Can't stand Hillary. It's her overall character that smells really foul.

Biden--oy vey. He can barely run Delaware. Remember '88?

I'll take Giuliani out of that bunch, but only because I haven't read up on some of the other candidates yet.

Check this out:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4520275.html

I can't think of a popular Republican or Democratic candidate who could do a worse job on the environment then Bush is right now according to this article. If Obama, Clinton, Guiliani, and/or McCain are able to come up with a more proactive plan on reduced emisions to slow down global warming, and are able to do more than take a "I care able the environment, but we're going the be the only country that does nothing about it" approach in their campaign, they may be able to get more credit in their run

This is mainly for the Republicans out there but of course anyone is free to respond: Do any of you think Guiliani has a chance at the nomination considering many of stands on social issues are anathma to the far-right? I'm not asking whether or not you are for him; I'm asking if you think he can get through the fire of the primaries.

I know-the election is around 22 months away but for political junkies like myself this is an intriquing topic.

BTW, FWIW, I think he could be a real winner...I just don't think the Republican Party is going to give him a chance.

Archived