The 2008 Presidential Race thread

DJ V Lawrence

Aight, I know there's a lot of political turmoil within HAIF. What better way to exploit that by having a thread dedicated to who you think or want to become president of the USA in 2008. This month is where it all begins; when the hopefuls announce their intentions. Those who have announced the indeed are running for president are:

Democratic Hopefuls:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what happens to presidential candidates who are reps of Congress and then lose like Kerry? They just don't have the opportunity to hold any kind of office until the next elections?

That's a good question. John Kerry and John Edwards lost, but seemed to keep their titles as senators. Didn't they resign in order to run? And if so, how did they get their seats back before the next election?

That's a good question. John Kerry and John Edwards lost, but seemed to keep their titles as senators. Didn't they resign in order to run? And if so, how did they get their seats back before the next election?

They did not resign to run. That's why they kept their seats. They weren't up for election.

Bob Dole resigned his seat in 1996 when he ran.

They didn't resign, because they knew they were gonna lose.

My pick for President is Steve Forbes, bring on the flat tax and shelve the IRS.

They did not resign to run. That's why they kept their seats. They weren't up for election.

Bob Dole resigned his seat in 1996 when he ran.

Was Kerry Senator the past two years? If so, does that mean he reclaimed his seat by default, without even running for it?

As for the president?...

I think the frontrunner for the Democrats no doubt is Obama. For the 'Publicans? I would say McCain and maybe Guliana. They definately get the most media attention.

Here in Albuquerque, people are still waiting to see if Govorner Bill Richardson is going to run. I don't know about his positions, but he has a very solid presence when speaking, which I think is key. He also deals a lot with international politics for some reason, which I think will help him.

Well, Hillary pulled the rug out from under Obama with her little cronies uncovering that he may actually be a "Muslim", GASP!, or at least might have been one at one time when in he was a boy in Indonesia. Hillary and her goons want to show him as "deceptive". And as nmain would say, "We shouldn't bother them while they eat their own." She is already muddying the waters and we are still very early into the race. Has the race actually even started yet ?

If you didn't hear about this lockmat, here's a link.

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/01/18/repo...-card-on-obama/

http://www.insightmag.com/Media/MediaManager/Obama_2.htm

This whole question of whether Obama was a Muslim or not came about back in 2004 when Debbie Schlussel did a little background checking on his upbringing, and left it up for readers to decide.

Well, Hillary pulled the rug out from under Obama with her little cronies uncovering that he may actually be a "Muslim", GASP!, or at least might have been one at one time when in he was a boy in Indonesia. Hillary and her goons want to show him as "deceptive". And as nmain would say, "We shouldn't bother them while they eat their own." She is already muddying the waters and we are still very early into the race. Has the race actually even started yet ?

This whole question of whether Obama was a Muslim or not came about back in 2004 when Debbie Schlussel did a little background checking on his upbringing, and left it up for readers to decide.

I was not aware of the story, thanks.

I'm not sure, but if this issue of him being "Muslim" even while he was just a kid comes to prominence in the race, I don't think he stands a chance. What do you think?

I think Hillary is scared enough to smear him this early on. So apparently her camp thinks it should be an issue.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about the "Killtons". Lock, if you aren't on their team, they WILL get you out of the way.

I think Hillary is scared enough to smear him this early on. So apparently her camp thinks it should be an issue.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about the "Killtons". Lock, if you aren't on their team, they WILL get you out of the way.

Killtons??? I feel like it's some mob group or something. I have an idea of what it is, but am scared if I say it that I'll get it from other posters.

Look, let's get one thing out of the way; Let's not do childish name calling and clever little remarks about past scandals on the right or left. It's unnecessary and beneath some of the people on here. Not to mention it'll simply turn into the flame war.

Let's keep it civil.

I hope we can agree on this.

That being said, it's still TWO years away!

Things can happen that can change the entire political landscape overnight.

Most of the people that are listed (to my knowledge) aren't throwing their hat quite yet, and if they have no real appeal to me yet.

I personally Don't Like Sen. Clinton's politics and I'm unsure of Obama's because I don't know him quite yet.

On the other color, Sen. McCain has gotten on my nerves. Hon. Giuliani I'm on the fence on.

Yes, I'm a moderate who is willing to look at all the issues and not vote by party lines. Just so you know. It's called Free thinking.

Some of you should try it sometime. :)

I think the Muslim boogeyman is just a distraction. He lived in Indonesia for four years when he was four-years-old because his mother married a guy from there. Not many four-year-olds are really in control of their religion.

That said, in all of the official Obama campaign material I've seen so far it dodges the question, and talks about how he picks and chooses the elements of faith he enjoys from many religions. That's a minus in my book. For the record, he attends Trinity United Church of Christ when he's in Chicago.

If you really want to get people to not vote for Obama, make him put his full legal name on the ballot: Barack Hussein Obama

Ricco, it is hard to agree, when you know as well as I that a Leopard like her can't change their spots. But, for the forum's sake, I will keep it civil.

Smearing and mudslinger are a major part of American politics, I am sure you will agree with that. One of the candidate hopefuls is without a doubt the best player in the league when it comes to that aspect of trying to win an election, but I digress. I think I will only speak on this subject if something is done, by any candidate, that needs to be given the proper light for this subject, so that everyone can be objective and "open-minded" to it all. That I pledge to you Ricco, and the rest of the forum as well.

I am with editor that I also think the whole Muslim Boogeyman is a non event where Obama is concerned. If he is some sort of "sleeper" for a radical Muslim group, then they are far craftier than we give them credit for. I for one won't give them enough credit to get in out of the desert sun, so I don't think Obama is any kind of threat, he just isn't President material yet.

Brownback: He was FOR a woman's right to choose what she could do with her reproductive organs before he was for the government dictating what a woman has a right to say about her own reproductive organs.

McCain: ditto from above in addition to his countless rebuttals of his Straight Talk Express of 2000 ands his support of sending more of our own into the bottomless hole of Iraq .

Romney: ditto from above, in addition he was for equal rights for gays before he was against equal rights for gays.

Giuliani and McCain have zip when it comes to getting the Republican nomination. The Taliban wing of the R-Party will make sure neither has a snowball's chance in hell of being the nominee.

Clinton: She has the cash and cashe for now but has the yoke of Iraq on her back and the rabid irrational and baseless hate of the right which has become so embedded in the public psychi. Edwards has the backbone of the hard core despite what the Clintons will spin you. Obama is the rock-star de jour...which may only last for the forseeable future.

Gore is too bright to throw himself into the fire but Kerry is too dim enough to think he can pull it off.

Everyone else is so much morning talk-show fodder that will be forgotten by lunchtime.

I am with editor that I also think the whole Muslim Boogeyman is a non event where Obama is concerned. If he is some sort of "sleeper" for a radical Muslim group, then they are far craftier than we give them credit for. I for one won't give them enough credit to get in out of the desert sun, so I don't think Obama is any kind of threat, he just isn't President material yet.

He sure does have the charisma though vs. Hilary Clinton. I"m sure she doesn't want him running just because he will get the majority of the black vote.

He sure does have the charisma though vs. Hilary Clinton. I"m sure she doesn't want him running just because he will get the majority of the black vote.

Of course, Hillary has a chance to recapture the soccer mom vote that went so heavily for her husband. If soccer moms are still a voting bloc, I bet they see a lot of themselves (or what that wish for themselves) in Hillary. But then, Barack is a fine looking man, and looks count a lot in politics.

I think the best thing for the Democratic Party would be a Clinton/Obama ticket, but I don't see it happening for a couple of reasons:

1. Hillary doesn't want to share the spotlight. Not with anyone. If there's one thing we've learned from her even back when she was only first lady of Arkansas is that she desperately craves the spotlight. Having Obama as veep waters down her personal accomplishment.
  2. Obama doesn't have to wait. He's presidential calibur. Even if you don't think he has the credentials and experience, he's certainly a formidable candidate even at this early stage. I think he's been on the front cover of more news magazines in the last year than any other politician has in years. He's a player, and he knows it. Fortunately, he keeps that to himself and lets his Midwestern charm speak instead of his inner mojo.

So, why now an Obama/Clinton ticket?

1. Hillary won't permit it. This is her last shot. She can't risk sitting around another eight years for her chance to take the reigns. Hillary 2016? Please. She's rapidly approaching Madeline Albright levels of attractiveness. Unless filmed in the best light and when she's fresh she looks like the great big sourpuss many people believe she is.

But I don't think we should underestimate the power of the Obama. He's a swing magnet. He could easily bring in votes from Republicans who look at their party's offerings and see little more than the same-old same-old. Giuliani could stop that, but I don't know anyone else who can.

I think the best thing for the Democratic Party would be a Clinton/Obama ticket, but I don't see it happening for a couple of reasons:
  1. Hillary doesn't want to share the spotlight.
  2. Obama doesn't have to wait. He's presidential calibur. he's certainly a formidable candidate even at this early stage. I think he's been on the front cover of more news magazines in the last year than any other politician has in years. He's a player, and he knows it. Fortunately, he keeps that to himself and lets his Midwestern charm speak instead of his inner mojo.

So, why now an Obama/Clinton ticket?

1. Hillary won't permit it. This is her last shot. She can't risk sitting around another eight years for her chance to take the reigns. Hillary 2016? Please. She's rapidly approaching Madeline Albright levels of attractiveness. Unless filmed in the best light and when she's fresh she looks like the great big sourpuss many people believe she is.

Great summary editor. ONly thing i would change would be Madeleine Albright to Janet Reno.

I think he is the only candidate that reflects my concern about the open border policies. If they can sneak dope across the border just imagine what else can be smuggle in across both borders.

I think the best thing for the Democratic Party would be a Clinton/Obama ticket

I think that ticket would be almost a runaway winner, and I agree with your reasons why that probably won't happen. Hilary has much more to lose if not elected in '08 than Obama, especially knowing that Obama would only be 53 in 2016. If the two were smart, Clinton and Obama would compromise with each other and decide to run together when one stands out more than the other in the primary. More than anything, I'm looking forward to seeing the two debate against each other in the primaries, so we know where they agree and disagree with their policies.

I think Clinton, Obama, and Bill Richardson of New Mexico, would all be good running mates for the Democrats if one of the three were to win the primaries

(BTW TJone, it doesn't matter what religion Obama is or was raised, and it doesn't matter who "accuses" him of being a religion other than Christian. It's irrelevant, and I hope candidates on both sides, as well as HAIF, try to keep the debate on the issues.)

Same thing with Guliani and McCain. Other than those two, I can't see anyone currently running for the Republican spot that stands out yet. I can't see Guliani winning simply by riding on his 9/11 success. We'll have to see where he stands on his national policies. McCain is the strongest Republican running, but his biggest weakness is the primaries. If either were to win the primaries, and the other were to be the running mate, I can see that being a very strong ticket in '08.

Could U guys imagine Clinton vs. Guliani? Popular NYC mayor vs Popular NY senator?! I'm curious who would win the NY state vote.

Could U guys imagine Clinton vs. Guliani? Popular NYC mayor vs Popular NY senator?! I'm curious who would win the NY state vote.

As of today, Giuliani can't get past the primarys as long as the far right continues to control the process. Same with McCain and Romney. That could change in time if the Republicans decide to really get serious and dump the Taliban wing.

I also don't see Clinton as being Vice Anything. Obama and Richardson-maybe. Edwards not so much because he's been there-done that. I mean, c'mon people-this isn't going to happen for TWENTY TWO months-anything can and will happen.

Ricco: I will join TJ in his pledge to play nice. Whenever he gets the urge to call me a baby killing LIBRUL or I get the urge to call him a wingnut facist, we will IM each other; thrash it out and then he will pick me up in his Volvo and we will have a nice glass of Chardoney at his favorite wine bar-or a bud at my favorite ice house. :lol:

I think he is the only candidate that reflects my concern about the open border policies. If they can sneak dope across the border just imagine what else can be smuggle in across both borders.

One note candidates rarely win anything. He'll have to come up with something more substansive than "Illegals [brown ones] bad!!!!!" Perhaps if he concerned himself with legal residents in a Ryder truck or on planes with box-cutters and a tall Saudi wandering around Afganistan he might have a tad more credibility. As it stands now, he is barely a fading blip on the radar.

Ricco: I will join TJ in his pledge to play nice. Whenever he gets the urge to call me a baby killing LIBRUL or I get the urge to call him a wingnut facist, we will IM each other; thrash it out and then he will pick me up in his Volvo and we will have a nice glass of Chardoney at his favorite wine bar-or a bud at my favorite ice house. :lol:

That's probably how Hannity and Colmes end their day. Tom and Jerry, too...

As of today, Giuliani can't get past the primarys as long as the far right continues to control the process. Same with McCain and Romney. That could change in time if the Republicans decide to really get serious and dump the Taliban wing.

I also don't see Clinton as being Vice Anything. Obama and Richardson-maybe. Edwards not so much because he's been there-done that. I mean, c'mon people-this isn't going to happen for TWENTY TWO months-anything can and will happen.

I agree with U with everything U said there about the Democrats. The Republicans, however, that may be an issue. Something's gotta give. The Republicans, just like the Democrats, want to win that office more than anything. Giuliani, McCain, and Romney are probably the Republicans' best chance of winning, and I think it's pretty much because of their stance as not being too far right, which is not too popular right now because of Bush (reflective off his approval ratings). They'll have to stand behind any of these three or try to bring someone else into the race with name recognition to up their chances.

I like to see J.C. Watts run for President any info about if he's going to run for office?

I've not heard anyone seriously suggest he run. Perhaps because of this:

REP J.C. WATTS (R-Oklahoma):

Watts has risen to the #4 leadership position in the House by loudly championing "moral values." But Watts, a former football player, has spent years covering up his out-of-wedlock children.

It's best to keep your mouth CLOSED when you moralize with your zipper OPEN.

Ironically, it's this kind of "moral values" behavior that helps the poor cheated upon wife to garner so many soccer mom's votes.

It's best to keep your mouth CLOSED when you moralize with your zipper OPEN.

Ironically, it's this kind of "moral values" behavior that helps the poor cheated upon wife to garner so many soccer mom's votes.

Yea, that's why i hold my nose when i vote we need something better than what that list pertains.

You got this whole post backwards. Are you living in Bizarro world again? MY icehouse.........YOUR winebar. I'll pick you up in my gas guzzlin' Musclecar, but you'll have to sink down in the seat. I can't risk anyone seeing me with a Liberal in my car. ;)

I meant to comment on Richardson running, I think somebody, possibly in his own party, will throw up the fact that he harbored all the Dem. lawmakers of Texas when they were trying to avoid casting votes, it will show him as a conspirator for wrong-doing.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and concede right now that the Republicans will not win in 2008. We will probably regain the Whitehouse in 2012 though.

Archived