M-Bar At 402 Main St.

tigereye

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know why they would choose that part of downtown? Why wouldn't they choose vacant space down by Main Street Square?

There's already a CVS at Main Street Square. This area of downtown has ZERO retail outside of restaurants and bars. Plus, Preston station has a hell of a lot more residential population surrounding it than Main Street Square.

I feel this area is large enough for a full scale Wal-Greens including grocery section - mius the drive through of course. Sadly enough, the only way this happens is with the grand ornate architecture of the interior of this building being gutted for the bland cookie-cutter acrchitecture you would expect to find from a grocery store. That would be the real loss. Everyone associated with Mbar, myself including, have pretty much vowed never to go in there when it makes its transformation to Wal-Greens...its just goona be sad.

Walgreens may not be as insensitive as you fear. In at least one instance, they decided to put support for local historic architecture ahead of mindless development.

Preservation Success Story

Just a thought, but if M Bar was doing well enough and the owners felt passionate enough about it, wouldn't they consider finding another location DT? There are a couple of available parcels, I'm sure.

This was considered and MBar's owner actaully had a target....it was on the same block, just further south. It used to be Opus. But the rent was apparently too high for that space, especially given the fact that the scene is shifting further south to mid-town.

On a side note - after the raid at Suede this weekend, expect that place will close its doors as well.

There won't be a Walgreens in the M Bar space; at least not anytime soon. It was a good excuse of why they closed M Bar though...

So has this been verified?

As far as the raide on suede, yes, I mentioned it in the "problems with downtown nightlife" or something like that.

Although the nightclub reopened Friday night immediately after the vice squad left, Tafesse said he will probably shut down or move.

"Everybody's leaving downtown and going to Midtown," he said. "I don't plan on staying here long."

geez - i have never even heard of this place, other than the bad press of course.

looks like a classy place though, at least from the motto :rolleyes:

2mhiycz.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

My sister in law (only 18) went to the bar named O2 a couple weeks ago and was offered a 'wristband' by a club staffer so that she could purchase alcohol, despite the black X on her hand courtesy of the bouncer.

Man, that's a dirty joint. I for one will not miss these places once they do shut down.

Edited by Sebastian De La Ghetto!

Although the nightclub reopened Friday night immediately after the vice squad left, Tafesse said he will probably shut down or move.

"Everybody's leaving downtown and going to Midtown," he said. "I don't plan on staying here long."

geez - i have never even heard of this place, other than the bad press of course.

looks like a classy place though, at least from the motto :rolleyes:

2mhiycz.jpg

it used to be a nice place, several years ago. went downhill, as did a lot of other places in the area. other then the Flying Saucer i stay away from downtown nowadays

My sister in law (only 18) went to the bar named O2 a couple weeks ago and was offered a 'wristband' by a club staffer so that she could purchase alcohol, despite the black X on her hand courtesy of the bouncer.

Man, that's a dirty joint. I for one will not miss these places once they do shut down.

Tell me about it. The people with the flyers outside offer free drinks and tell you "You can slip weed under the foil, if its not there already". So much for being a hookah bar. Oh well, it is nice when there is hookah, and not weed.

There won't be a Walgreens in the M Bar space; at least not anytime soon. It was a good excuse of why they closed M Bar though...

I trust you know what you're talking about seeing you ususally have an inside scoop. But is there any way to confirm this?

But, I guess, there was no official article or announcement saying that the former MBar was slated to become a Walgreens

"Bouncer fired on the spot"

What a crock. Bouncers aren't allowed to make decisions whether to allow underaged patrons in or not, they are told whether to let them in or not.

"We have been watching this club and have witnessed violations and offenses every time we have been here," Allen said. "Underage drinking is a very common problem with these bars downtown."

Well, I thought downtown "scene" had reached a zenith, but by the looks of that statement it reached it's zenith farther back than I thought. Here comes the death spiral. Just in time for Houston Pavilions to come in and reshape the entertainment scene downtown from a trendy frat party to an upward mobile oasis.

I trust you know what you're talking about seeing you ususally have an inside scoop. But is there any way to confirm this?

But, I guess, there was no official article or announcement saying that the former MBar was slated to become a Walgreens

It might become a restaurant group that takes the space that has an x-nfl investor.

There's a new committee of stakeholders, brokers, and city officials to reinvigorate the area. This should be a pretty exciting time for the Historic District. It's a beautiful area, one of may favorites in Houston, but it's been decimated by cheesy clubs. So much so that now it's pretty much a blank slate. Hopefully the new efforts are successful in attracting great new businesses to the area. To me it's exciting because everyone seems to finally be on the same page - no cheesy night clubs! Rather the committee is interested in creating a district full of great chef-driven restaurants, shops, and distinctive entertainment venues. Any input is welcome. One thing for sure right now though is that Walgreens isn't taking the MBar space. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

There's a new committee of stakeholders, brokers, and city officials to reinvigorate the area. This should be a pretty exciting time for the Historic District. It's a beautiful area, one of may favorites in Houston, but it's been decimated by cheesy clubs. So much so that now it's pretty much a blank slate. Hopefully the new efforts are successful in attracting great new businesses to the area. To me it's exciting because everyone seems to finally be on the same page - no cheesy night clubs! Rather the committee is interested in creating a district full of great chef-driven restaurants, shops, and distinctive entertainment venues. Any input is welcome. One thing for sure right now though is that Walgreens isn't taking the MBar space. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

You asked for input --

Downtown needs residents. Clubs have scared potential residents off. Stupid prices of "chic" empty buildings whose list of amenities includes urine-stained doorways, throngs of "parking lot pimps," weekend hooptie parades and lack of basic goods and services have also scared people off. Entertainment is not the answer -- no matter how low the cheese factor. Dining will help, but it won't really bring in the permanent residents. And you can't have shops or even grocery and basic services stores until you have residents to support them. So the key is to get 30,000 or so urban pioneers to rough it until Downtown is recognized as a viable neighborhood. Then the stores will start opening up and it will feed on itself.

To do this, Downtown must abandon this silly, misconceived TriBeCa fascination it has, with expensive lofts for people who want to pretend they live somewhere else. Listen to me Houston -- urban living has very little to do with exposed brick and ductwork and everything to do with the fabric of the neighborhood around your loft conversion. That charming bum taking a crap on the sidewalk that you wear as evidence of your gritty, Manhattan sensibility is an anachronism. Manhattan is cleaned up and user-friendly.

If you want real big-city living, make neighborhoods. Make regular apartments and make them close to small markets and places for a quick bite to eat. Make sidewalk cafes and bakeries. Make a decent newspaper, or two, to replace the piece of ____ that's printed on Texas Ave. Make our performing arts scene more accessible to the public and more open to up-and-coming artists. While you're at it, make the scene before every ballgame a 2-3 hour party, with street vendors, ticket scalpers, performers and more that closes off, if not Texas Ave., then one of those side streets that can't be driven on anyway. Make our train actually go somewhere. Make all the tunnel businesses relocate to street level, where they'll stay open past 4pm. Make it shameful for large companies to locate their headquarters outside this district. Make different kinds of companies want to come here. Make a signature style of barbeque sandwich or fajita -- something that can walk -- and make it available on street corners. Then, make it famous, by talking about it like it's larger than life and better than it really is. Make an advertising community and legalize the practice of their craft. Business begets business. Oh, and throw in a couple more newspapers. Ours is ____.

Edited by dalparadise

You asked for input --

Downtown needs residents. Clubs have scared potential residents off. Stupid prices of "chic" empty buildings whose list of amenities includes urine-stained doorways, throngs of "parking lot pimps," weekend hooptie parades and lack of basic goods and services have also scared people off. Entertainment is not the answer -- no matter how low the cheese factor. Dining will help, but it won't really bring in the permanent residents. And you can't have shops or even grocery and basic services stores until you have residents to support them. So the key is to get 30,000 or so urban pioneers to rough it until Downtown is recognized as a viable neighborhood. Then the stores will start opening up and it will feed on itself.

To do this, Downtown must abandon this silly, misconceived TriBeCa fascination it has, with expensive lofts for people who want to pretend they live somewhere else. Listen to me Houston -- urban living has very little to do with exposed brick and ductwork and everything to do with the fabric of the neighborhood around your loft conversion. That charming bum taking a crap on the sidewalk that you wear as evidence of your gritty, Manhattan sensibility is an anachronism. Manhattan is cleaned up and user-friendly.

If you want real big-city living, make neighborhoods. Make regular apartments and make them close to small markets and places for a quick bite to eat. Make sidewalk cafes and bakeries. Make a decent newspaper, or two, to replace the piece of ____ that's printed on Texas Ave. Make our performing arts scene more accessible to the public and more open to up-and-coming artists. While you're at it, make the scene before every ballgame a 2-3 hour party, with street vendors, ticket scalpers, performers and more that closes off, if not Texas Ave., then one of those side streets that can't be driven on anyway. Make our train actually go somewhere. Make all the tunnel businesses relocate to street level, where they'll stay open past 4pm. Make it shameful for large companies to locate their headquarters outside this district. Make different kinds of companies want to come here. Make a signature style of barbeque sandwich or fajita -- something that can walk -- and make it available on street corners. Then, make it famous, by talking about it like it's larger than life and better than it really is. Make an advertising community and legalize the practice of their craft. Business begets business. Oh, and throw in a couple more newspapers. Ours is ____.

This is a very impassioned post, but I agree that downtown needs to be a real 'residential' neighborhood to fully achieve its potential. There are already a lot of great things going on downtown, but it seems there are not enough residents to keep the activity consistent. More bodies will help establish more activity - making downtown even more appealing. With more residential life, downtown will be even more vibrant and desirable.

This is really exciting news. My only input is probably pretty obvious. More shops. A bookstore would be good, newstands, art galleries. The types of shops that cause people to linger and browse from shop to shop, mixed in with diners, cafes, along with the higher-end restaurants. I am not at all sorry to see the demise of some of the clubs. Fewer MBar-type clubs and more "neighborhood"-type establisments.

My sources also state MBar will become an upscale restaraunt with live music - kind of like a Sambuca. Downtown is on the right track with the new park and Houston Pavilions, so now we will have to wait and see. I agree downtown needs more residents, but downtown used to do pretty well back in early 2000. What will it take to bring more people living downtown? That has been discussed over and over again...

I rent downtown and would strongly consider buy a loft around here if I could find one a little more affordable.

Edited by ToolMan

I mostly agree with Dal's post. You have to really establish a bonafide neighborhood, one that is enduring and not the beholden to the social whims of a populace that may or may not have any vested interest in it beyond their occasional patronage of some restaurant or store. You want a seven day a week pulse from morning to at least midnight. It's difficult to ask the population at large to flock to downtown on a whim at 9:30 PM on Tuesday when they don't live there (after a long day's work, people want to get home).

Heck, even if we were to finally reach that 10,000 persons living downtown mark, that would be a great start to things, and I don't see it as being so difficult once you find someone who is willing to invest in the creation of a residential property that has the middle-income person/couple/family in mind. This is Houston... there's quiet a bit of incentive to live in areas inside the loop for $350,000 rather than a small, boxy unit downtown or midtown for the same price. Until developers start to understand that... we're going to struggle to get those areas (in particular) to reach their potential.

I think I missed some of the point a little when I made my previous post.

I completely agree that for Downtown to be successful long term as a residential neighborhood, it will need a mix of incomes to remain sustainable.

The trendiness of high-end lofts and condos will be susceptible to just that: "trendiness". When the next popular residential fad comes to town, many of those people will follow and move on (as history has shown).

But if a true mixed-income neighborhood is in place downtown, it will be able to weather such changes in trends, and remain stable.

• 11 months later...
Well, obviously there in no Walgreens, or an upscale restaurant there... any updates? Is anything in the works?

at this point, downtown isn't a "hot spot" any more. being satisified with with the current options is the best we can hope for. i heard lease negotiations for mkt square grille are in work. i just hope they stay.

at this point, downtown isn't a "hot spot" any more. being satisified with with the current options is the best we can hope for. i heard lease negotiations for mkt square grille are in work. i just hope they stay.

Whoa! I hope Market Street Grill doesn't leave, I need their Philly Cheese Steak to stay sane.

Get ready for this........last night, got to see many of my peeps who used to work at MBar. It did officially close on Saturday (1/13) BTW. Most of them landed gigs in midtown. Well, last night, I saw the former GM of the place, Carlos. He told me why the club went down.

It had nothing to do with business.

It had everything to do with who was gonna replace MBar at the old Citizens Bank site.

MBar is gonna be replaced by a WAL-GREENS

For those who dont know, the Site is at the corner of Main and Preston

Alot of us have campaigned for a grocery store downtown. Now while Wal-Greens is a CVS-Clone, in reality, its also the closest thing downtown has ever had to a full fledge grocery store. I guess the transformation of Downtown into a more friendlier residential component has begun. So how do you feel about this? You against the CVS-Close raiding the Downtown nightlife scene. Or are you for this mini grocery store helping downtowns residential aspirations?

Discuss.

Will 'downtown' (not Midtown) ever see a grocery store...? Like a nice Whole Foods or something.