Hotel Derek At 2525 West Loop S.

It my research of hotels, I came across the Derek. I think it is near the Galleria. Is it similar to the Hyatt Regency, size, amenities, etc? I noticed on Hotel.Com that the rates are about the same.

It my research of hotels, I came across the Derek. I think it is near the Galleria. Is it similar to the Hyatt Regency, size, amenities, etc? I noticed on Hotel.Com that the rates are about the same.

I meant to say "in" my research of hotels. Just a typo.

• Like 1

I meant to say "in" my research of hotels. Just a typo.

I would go with the Derek... nice hotel, hip style, good bar, etc. We really enjoyed it when we stayed one random weekend.

• Like 1

Been to great parties there, i'd go with it.

Like I said, if I win a lottery, I plan to stay in the Derek, Hyatt Regency, Alden, just as many hotels as I can to make up for a life of nothing but Motel 6 and other dirt and flea bag rooms that I had to stay in whenever I traveled.

RETRACTION: Motel 6 is not a dirt and flea bag place. I was talking about privately-owned dives that also have weekly/monthy rates. At least a chain motel has housekeeping and sanitation standards.

• Like 1

Like I said, if I win a lottery, I plan to stay in the Derek, Hyatt Regency, Alden, just as many hotels as I can to make up for a life of nothing but Motel 6 and other dirt and flea bag rooms that I had to stay in whenever I traveled.

RETRACTION: Motel 6 is not a dirt and flea bag place. I was talking about privately-owned dives that also have weekly/monthy rates. At least a chain motel has housekeeping and sanitation standards.

The Hotel Derek has a more up-to-date lobby, I really like the entrance. (And Bistro Moderne is a top rated eatery). The views from the Hotel Derek's balconies are awesome, overlooking the Uptown Skyline & 610. The Rooms are also a little bit more modern (& nicer) then the Hyatt's, but the Hyatt's top doller suites are nicer. The Hyatt also has the Revolving Resteraunt ontop. The Hotel Derek is right across from the Galleria, so if one needs to attend business in Uptown or the West Side of Town, Hotel Derek is better. But if business is Downtown, then the Hyatt... The Elevators & Bar in the Lobby are nice. There are also escalators in the Lobby for Tunnel access.

The Hotel Derek is not near the same size, the Hyatt is over over 32 floors, and the Hotel Derek is about half the size, if not less. The Service is nicer at the Hyatt.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I received the following e-mail regarding the Bistro Moderne, the restaurant in the first floor of the Hotel Derek. It says that the hotel has been sold and the hotel concept will change (and as a result they're closing the Bistro Moderne). Anybody know what the hotel's new plans are?

Dear bistro moderne friends and family,

I am saddened to say that my team and I will close our operation at bistro moderne on November 17th, 2007. The Hotel Derek has been sold and the new ownership will implement a new concept in the hotel including the Restaurant. Since I moved to Houston 3 years ago I

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

Hotel Derek in Houston's Galleria area under new management

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/11/19/hotel-derek-in-houstons-galleria-area-under-new.html

Hotel Derek in the Uptown/Galleria area has a new management company and a new director of sales and marketing.

Evolution Hospitality, a San Clemente, California-based subsidiary of Plano, Texas-based Aimbridge Hospitality, is now operating Hotel Derek, according to a press release. Denver-based Destination Hotels previously was managing the hotel.

This is the first Houston property in Evolution Hospitality’s portfolio, which includes 75 hotels and resorts primarily located on the West Coast as well as in Hawaii, Arizona and Miami, according to the company's website.

As part of the change, Christi George has been named director of sales and marketing for Hotel Derek. She has more than two decades of experience and most recently was an area director for sales and marketing for the Hilton Houston North and Houston Marriott North hotels. Previously, she spent more than 15 years with Interstate Hotels & Resorts, where she was a director of group sales, per the release.

“We’re thrilled about expanding our Texas footprint in Houston and a bringing a fresh perspective to Hotel Derek,” Matt Greene, executive vice president of lifestyle and independent hotel operations for Evolution Hospitality, said in the release. “While long a key business destination, the diversity and quality of Houston’s cultural and culinary offerings are shedding a new light on the market for group and leisure travel, and Hotel Derek is ideally situated to take advantage of those growing audiences.”

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hotel Derek At 2525 West Loop S.