The Stables Restaurant & Bar At 7325 South Main St.

livinginEastwood

The land for the long-time Houston watering hole The Stables at South Main and Greenbriar was sold yesterday. Witness once again the suburbs invading Houston. Who in the world needs all these branch banks!!

Well, the Wells Fargo bank branch in the TMC got sold to Texas Childrens Hospital not too long ago and will be torn down to make way for bigger and better things. I imagine that they probably had a pretty big customer base and wouldn't be surprised if Wells Fargo just needed to move a little down the road. Or it could be some other bank trying to muscle in on the customers that Wells Fargo leaves behind.

In any case, we're getting more towers along the LRT line and a bank branch at a relatively lower-traffic intersection in a relatively lower-density neighborhood. I'd say that we're probably more ahead than not on this one.

Stables restaurant heads out to pasture

Houston Business Journal - October 20, 2006by Jennifer Dawson

The Stables Steak House at 7325 S. Main was sold to a investment partnership this week, marking the imminent end to a piece of Houston history. The sales price was not disclosed.

The buyer, Eastbourne Main Greenbriar LP -- a partnership between Houston-based Wellington Development Co. and Williamsville, N.Y.-based Eastbourne Investments -- purchased the restaurant as part of a land assemblage effort, with plans to sell the tract to a developer in the future.

The Stables was established in the early 1950s on S. Main at Greenbriar, near the Texas Medical Center.

"That whole area of Main has a lot of history," Daugherty says. "That's really where the restaurants were when I was a kid growing up in Houston."

The Stables will stay open through Christmas, giving patrons one last chance at what many call the best prime rib in town.

Kathy Lord, who has lived in the Old Braeswood neighborhood by The Stables for 30 years, plans to eat there quite a bit before the restaurant closes. She says The Stables was probably in its prime when the old Shamrock Hotel was still located nearby. The famed hotel was torn down in 1987.

"I think it's another sort of historical restaurant," says Lord, executive director of Trees for Houston.

The Wellington/Eastbourne partnership purchased the restaurant from Mulvey and Prati on Oct. 17.

Wellington principals Rocky Stevens and Chris Hotze realize that they purchased a piece of history.

"It's a Houston landmark," Hotze says.

Mulvey and Prati could not be reached for comment on the sale. A Stables employee describes both of them as being retired.

While Stables fans may mourn the eatery's closing, the change in ownership marks a shift in real estate values near the ever-expanding Texas Medical Center.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...1576000^1363781

The buyer, Eastbourne Main Greenbriar LP -- a partnership between Houston-based Wellington Development Co. and Williamsville, N.Y.-based Eastbourne Investments -- purchased the restaurant as part of a land assemblage effort, with plans to sell the tract to a developer in the future.

If they can get these kinds of prices out of the land, we probably aren't going to see just any run of the mill bank branch. And this site doesn't have the same desirability for fast food that Holcombe/Main Street has...incidentally, the Burger King on Holcombe is the highest-grossing one in the whole state.

I'm thinking that it'll either be medical or residential...more likely the latter. Medical office buildings aren't usually easy to do unless they've got a hospital affiliation. On the other hand, if they can pull off residential here, it'd beg the question as to why nobody can do it downtown. And that'd suggest that a medical institution would be the necessary user.

The Stable Burger at the Westheimer location was the best burger I have ever eaten. When it closed, we went to the Main St. location and ordered the Stable Burger. For some reason at that location, they put ham on the Stable Burger instead of bacon. It was very strange.

I will miss this place, but not as much as I will miss the old man who is in there every time I have lunch, sitting alone putting salt in his beer.

• 2 months later...
stables1.jpg

The sign says "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Let's hope it's not really going to be a parking lot, that land would seem too valuable for that.

Anyone know what's planned there?

Apparently, it is being lumped together with some other parcels, to be flipped to another buyer.

HBJ article

Sounds like they'll double their money in a short time.

Gee, I think I want to be a land assembler when I grow up.

I had not eaten there in a couple of years, I always said "I've got to go back cause I know it will not be here long". Pretty soon we will have two choices. Eat at a Landry's or a Pappa's restaurant. Kind of like that movie The Demolition Man where all they had was Taco Bell.

And I was just getting over them tearing down The Red Lion next door.

joe

• The title was changed to The Stables Restaurant & Bar At 7325 South Main St.

Archived