Home At 8502 Dashwood Dr.

missjanel

yikes - well at least there's a clean slate for the new owner to paint upon :unsure:

that is strange that it's for sale -and- was nominated for a 2007 award. the awards are presented in a couple of weeks - i winder if the current owner is attending (von rosenberg?)

and there are some nice huge plants in the backyard (are those philodendrons?)

Edited by sevfiv

I don't remember all the good brick award winners, but are you sure this was one of them? I know there was the house off Memorial and Jason & Vanessa's William Jenkin's design on Willowisp that were winners for 2007. I didn't remember there being a third mod house.

I don't remember all the good brick award winners, but are you sure this was one of them? I know there was the house off Memorial and Jason & Vanessa's William Jenkin's design on Willowisp that were winners for 2007. I didn't remember there being a third mod house.

I don't recall this being one of the Good Brick winners either. I do like Harwood Taylor designs, I almost leased a place designed by him. It was part of the duplex in the Fred Winchell studio. This house doesn't seem to have any of his characteristic courtyards or walled off areas. I'm not very familiar with his 60's work though, just the 50's.

Edited by Jersey01

Does anybody know the background on this house? How do we know it's a Harwood Taylor btw? Is there some archives or something on it?

My apologies I didn't read the agent's comments well enough in the listing. That's what I get for surfing mods and taking property calls at the same time. Anyway here is a copy and paste of the agent comments from the listing agent.

"Nationally known modern architect, Harwood Taylor of Taylor and Neuhaus designed 8502 Dashwood with features of three of the residences that won Houston's 2007 Good Brick Award. The award winners and 8502 Dashwood boast floor-to-ceiling windows and long rectilinear lines. The Greater Houston Preservation Alliance is a nonprofit which gives the award. This year, for the first time since the preservation-award program was launched in 1979, most of the winning homes were built after 1950."

My apologies I didn't read the agent's comments well enough in the listing. That's what I get for surfing mods and taking property calls at the same time. Anyway here is a copy and paste of the agent comments from the listing agent.

"Nationally known modern architect, Harwood Taylor of Taylor and Neuhaus designed 8502 Dashwood with features of three of the residences that won Houston's 2007 Good Brick Award. The award winners and 8502 Dashwood boast floor-to-ceiling windows and long rectilinear lines. The Greater Houston Preservation Alliance is a nonprofit which gives the award. This year, for the first time since the preservation-award program was launched in 1979, most of the winning homes were built after 1950."

I just read that part, it is sort of confusing.

It's interesting/good that other realtors are noticing the mid-century market enough to say this in their house ads.

The Taylor designed house that won a Good Brick Award was on the RDA Tour last year. It's on Westminster. It is described in Ben Koush's book on Harwood Taylor. I don't know if Ben knows about this Dashwood house, if it is indeed by Taylor.

The 3rd modern house that won a good brick award was The Hugo V. Neuhaus House on Lazy Lane.

A Kamrath church is also being given the 50 year award.

Jason

• The title was changed to 8502 Dashwood Dr.
  • The title was changed to Home At 8502 Dashwood Dr.