Citizens National Bank At 402 Main St.

tigereye

Slainte is actually under new management and is quickly 'reclaiming' it's regulars. New bartenders, barbacks and management, new drink specials..Right now it's only open thurs, fri and sat, but I'm sure by the baseball season it'll be back to 6-7 days a week.

They fired ALL the bartenders and barbacks? I was cool with one of the bartenders, the other was starting to be a jerk. so I hope they kept at least ONE of them.

That's a bit of a bummer, but it did need new management.

maybe they'll start serving "shiner" on tap again. but then again from I understand, shiner is screwing all of the bars with new prices and such. But that's for another discussion.

Houston's "bar scene" tends to be migratory. Richmond by the Galleria. Richmond at Shepherd for a while. Downtown. Midtown. The great ones last, though. Griff's ... the Montrose bars ... the Richmond strip. Downtown isn't dead by a long shot. But Midtown seems to be hip now. Houston Pavilions is going to boost downtown's bar and restaurant scene tremendously. I read in the Chron where a party is scheduled for Feb. 2008 celebrating Discovery Green. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is why downtown's night life is slowing down.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/10961238/detail.html

Would you want to go partying with your friends late at night after hearing about stuff like this?

I really feel downtown will be another suburb in about 10yrs. All the clubs that go out of business will be converted to lofts. Downtown will be another suburb with grocery stores, shopping centers, etc. I think there will only be a handful of bars/clubs in years to come.

This makes no sense. How can the core of a major city become a suburb? Downtown San Diego has shopping centers and grocery stores. Is it a suburb? I think the term refers to development that is sub-urban, as in beyond the city itself. Suburbs are defined mainly on their location, but they do tend to be known for being bland and full of chain stores, unlike downtown areas.

It probably wasn't bad enough that killing a human being was the only option for solving it, which is where the problem lies. Houston just has tons of these kinds of people everywhere. People who either are or just appear to be dangerous and may or may not be carrying a gun at any moment. If it wasn't for this sub-culture, we would already have a thriving nightlife downtown with partying and lots of residential activity. There was a time in Houston when altercations led to fist fights or just shouting arguments followed by cooling off or getting thrown out of a bar. Now people literally fear altercations because they might wind up dead a few seconds later.

This is also why Houston just isn't a hip place. You go downtown late at night, and you're not going to see very many people with class or even the "down on their luck" type people who just roam around peacefully and don't harm anyone. I could deal with that stuff, but the gun sub-culture is such a nuisance and keeping downtown investors from realizing the full potential of that area.

I just hope that as the bars go away, they are replaced by what could be called "watering holes" that the locals can go to after work or from their downtown lofts like they do in Chicago.

Ditto! In fact, after reading this whole thread, I think the title should be changed from "Downtown's new problem" to "Downtown's new opportunity." Maybe we should find a way to encourage more of the big clubs to move. I could never quite see how they thought they could continue to have the massive crowds on Main Street, even just for special events, when it stops the rail service. You can't be shutting down the central spine of your rail system every time you have a big party.

This could have been predicted 4 years ago. This is the twilight of the Downtown "scene". Faster than you can say Richmond Strip and Shepherd Plaza, the next wave of 21-25 year olds will have found a new home in Houston. Right now savvy club owners are trying to figure out where this will be so they can stake their claim, but it will not be Main Street.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Richmond Strip turned ghetto, Sheperd Plaza turned ghetto, and now its downtown. Midtown is the new hotspot, so you know it wont be long before it becomes ghetto as well.

Actually the only area that I think has sustained its presence of not turning ghetto are the bars around Rice Village.

Actually the only area that I think has sustained its presence of not turning ghetto are the bars around Rice Village.

That's because they never sold out and catered to those kinds of people. Just bars focused towards college students and profesionals - no cover charges, ect...

I you like that seen you will go, and if you want something else, you will go elsewhere. Simple enoughm

That is indeed tragic but you cannot help but to think "preventable". Not that this situation in the news has anything to do with it but in general I think some people have mental issues when they cannot control their public confrontations and amplify their conflict by not being able to shut up. That's just suicide nowadays. Most of the time, it's a power struggle because some one is afraid to look like they lost the argument. In the end they both look like assholes. Although I am sure there are some extreme cases where people are shot for actually being the bigger person.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Richmond Strip turned ghetto, Sheperd Plaza turned ghetto, and now its downtown. Midtown is the new hotspot, so you know it wont be long before it becomes ghetto as well.

This is so true, and I think true for pretty much every city. Even in LA, the Sunset Strip isn't the fabulous image most people have in there heads. If you live in LA you know that the Sunset Strip has been ghetto for quite awhile. Many of these clubs in Hollywood that were popular a year ago with the A-listers are now ghetto attracting the wanna-be gangster crowd. The clubs that have remained succesful are the ones that usually don't charge a cover and cater to the have a beer and strike up a conversation crowd.

On my last visit to Houston I was actually amazed at the number of dance clubs downtown. A lot imo. My question: Do all those dance clubs really make for a great downtown? I noticed during the day a lot of those same clubs were closed. I guess they only open at night. Some of the best downtowns I've been to lately across the america, Vancouver, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Chicago don't have so many of those clubs. They have more bars, jazz clubs or nice restaurants. We ended up at Bossa which to us was just the kind of place we were looking for. We also enjoyed Sambuca for the late night jazz.

On my last visit to Houston I was actually amazed at the number of dance clubs downtown. A lot imo. My question: Do all those dance clubs really make for a great downtown? I noticed during the day a lot of those same clubs were closed. I guess they only open at night. Some of the best downtowns I've been to lately across the america, Vancouver, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Chicago don't have so many of those clubs. They have more bars, jazz clubs or nice restaurants. We ended up at Bossa which to us was just the kind of place we were looking for. We also enjoyed Sambuca for the late night jazz.

i don't think those clubs do anything to make downtown a place to visit because they are only open during the evening. opening their bars during the afternoon might do somthing to attract biz workers.

Nice article in Chron about this.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4562230.html

Looks like I will make a point to "trade" (as my grandmother says) at Mia Bella's and help the brotha out since he's willing to fight for Downtown. And I look forward to Coco's coming. Maybe that's what'll replace MBar (since it's across from Mia Bella) instead of a Walgreens. Or maybe it'll go into the Byrd Lofts (although I kinda wouldn't mind something like Denny's or something in there).

Nice article in Chron about this.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4562230.html

Looks like I will make a point to "trade" (as my grandmother says) at Mia Bella's and help the brotha out since he's willing to fight for Downtown. And I look forward to Coco's coming. Maybe that's what'll replace MBar (since it's across from Mia Bella) instead of a Walgreens. Or maybe it'll go into the Byrd Lofts (although I kinda wouldn't mind something like Denny's or something in there).

you can help the brotha but use cash. They've been padding peoples' credit cards quite a bit recently according to 3 frequent customers i know.

From the Chroncle article:

Some in the downtown business community think that even the 2004 Super Bowl, which brought throngs to Main Street, may have been a curse in disguise.

It changed the downtown mind-set, they believe, planting the misconceived idea that the Historic District could become another Bourbon Street if only more nightclubs would move in.

More did come in, and now some district leaders say that Main Street has lost its way.

Instead of becoming a trendy cluster of boutiques, grocery stores, restaurants and bars patronized by urban professionals living in nearby lofts, Main Street draws a younger crowd more interested in late-night barhopping.

In recent weeks, several nightclubs have shut down, and downtown leaders see the closings as a chance for the Historic District to reclaim its original vision.

"It's kind of like there's a clean slate and a real chance for a turnaround," said Larry Plotsky, a retail-restaurant broker.

It is good that the closing of clubs is recognized as an opportunity for downtown, but you have to wonder if they will be able to capitalize on the opportunity. It will take more to get some sustainable redevelopment downtown that just "reclaiming the original vision" - they need to act on the vision. Paying subsidies to retailers seemed like a good idea, but I'm not sure it has had that much of an impact.

From the Chroncle article:

It is good that the closing of clubs is recognized as an opportunity for downtown, but you have to wonder if they will be able to capitalize on the opportunity. It will take more to get some sustainable redevelopment downtown that just "reclaiming the original vision" - they need to act on the vision. Paying subsidies to retailers seemed like a good idea, but I'm not sure it has had that much of an impact.

Well, it's my hope that a good combination of bars (neighborhood/Sports) and a few good restaurants that range from high end, to something a bit more modest should suit the range of those that live and work in the area.

You know, it is somewhat disingenuous for the Bob Eurys etc to suddenly decide that having so many clubs downtown isn't such a great boost for downtown revitalization now that some clubs are starting to close. To give HAIF credit, there are people on this board who have been saying that for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually think the name of this thread should be changed to the future of downtown nightlife. Obviously, Downtown is soon to be "Once Again" the new and this time lasting hotspot. Midtown as you might know was a ghetto and has come a long way as downtowns neighborhood. It is going to settle back into the shadow of downtown, as it should and sophisticated operators will select downtown for real business.